Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Yellow "Save Abuse" Glitch - Page 7

Re: Pokemon Yellow "Save Abuse" Glitch

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-04-27 14:15:35

[size=12pt][font=andale mono]
which on checking the stats of the 2nd Q after scrolling up past the 13th Q ( not sure if its just the 2nd q or what ) but it plays a sad tune Ref http://www.sendspace.com/file/27qk2k
With the standard TM55 x3 with HYPER BEAM with silly PP

Sorry for poor Quality [/font] [/size]

That 'sad tune' is the tune that plays when you play the Poké Flute. It's used as Q's cry.

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2013-04-27 14:32:55

[size=12pt][font=andale mono]
which on checking the stats of the 2nd Q after scrolling up past the 13th Q ( not sure if its just the 2nd q or what ) but it plays a sad tune Ref http://www.sendspace.com/file/27qk2k
With the standard TM55 x3 with HYPER BEAM with silly PP

Sorry for poor Quality [/font] [/size]

That 'sad tune' is the tune that plays when you play the Poké Flute. It's used as Q's cry.

Thanks for informing me, I couldn't recall what it was at the time :)

and, about the name change, I was just repeatedly scrolling up, and suddenly the music stopped, so I pushed "B", and the name had changed to ASHQJAC, and there were a couple of Qs in the map too; however when leaving the house all was fine with the map again.

Obviously something happened with RAM when scrolling up; something to do with 0x90 (decimal 144), but why the string terminator 0x50 in the name got replaced with 0x90, I do not know.

Posted by: SuperGlitchy
Date: 2013-05-05 09:22:34
Guys, I want to do this on my Pokemon Yellow cart and record it on the N64, but would it ruin the transfer pak? Or does the save have nothing to do with the working order of the pak?

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2013-05-08 21:27:34

Guys, I want to do this on my Pokemon Yellow cart and record it on the N64, but would it ruin the transfer pak? Or does the save have nothing to do with the working order of the pak?

Don't see how or why it would ruin the transfer pak, so you should be good to go.

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2013-05-12 21:21:00

Evidently, using a Cascadebadge results in Ash throwing bait and switching around NPC sprites.

Apparently when I first posted this, I didn't recognize that the Cascadebadge is not supposed to be a usable item! Evidently it was supposed to be at one point (maybe for the HoF, when you have to show the guards a badge to get through?), but it clearly isn't in the final game.

Along with the Surfboard, NINTEN/SONY, and others, it's pretty cool how much stuff hidden in the ROM is exposed via glitching and hacking.

Posted by: Bent`
Date: 2013-05-15 17:51:29
The badge items are actually used in the game. When you talk to the badge guy in Cerulean, he provides a list of badges that you can ask about. Internally, the list is constructed in a similar way to a Mart list: by giving item IDs and letting the game engine print the item names. The items used here are, of course, the mysterious badge items.

Posted by: Thanathan
Date: 2013-06-24 03:05:38
My cardridge is still in "Abusemode" but she crashed a lot more offten xD
An my Screen turns Negative :I
Maybe I should stop Randomswitchin…

Date: 2013-06-25 11:51:32
I'm still trying to get this to work on Red. Argh…

Date: 2013-08-31 22:41:26
I hated to kill my "Pikatwo" save file, but I got the glitch again on Yellow (on the first try, no less!)

So there is no way at all to get Pikachu to show up or act normally in the roster?

Also, the specified Master Ball item just does not want to show up in my copy…

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2013-09-02 15:06:56
So it seems that on Yellow version you can trigger a battle with a MissingNo. and you don't even have to move.

In your party, scroll upwards until your cursor appears on the right side of the screen. Move some Glitchmons around on this side and exit the menu. When you exit the menu, the battle will be triggered. The game will probably freeze though.

Date: 2013-09-17 23:45:48
Heh.  No more Yellow glitch research for me…

Whoever stole it, I hope you get caught in an infinite loop of NPC object events.

Posted by: ProfessorGlitch
Date: 2013-09-18 19:46:18
Dearest glitchers! It is me, ProfessorGlitch! It has been too long! Anyway, I just wanted to answer Calhaora's old question: Can you get past Gary without the game crashing? The answer is: YES!!! You can! I have done it, and have actually gotten to Fuschia City (I think, but it has been about a year since I deleted the save file)! I had gotten past Gary by using a Burn Heal inside the lab, thus using it outside got you stuck in a wall. After a long harsh battle of disobedience (the Glitchmon are really high in level and don't obey hardly EVER), you can hope the game doesn't freeze after beating Gary, and you WILL get an error, but you must keep pushing A and B and Down repeatedly until you move a step (again, this may not work for you, for I was VERY lucky to have this happen). Eventually, you will be out of the lab (after a lot of trial and error) and you will be home free! I would HIGHLY recommend saving after escaping the lab because I assume you will cause the game to freeze sometime in the future! It will take some time. It took me about 45 minutes to an hour to get out! And in case you were wondering why I deleted my save file, I was experimenting with an undiscovered tune I had found, and the game has a mind of it's own and SAVED in a glitched state, forcing me to delete and start from scratch (but since I was so aggravated, I didn't want to bother with it, but I will restart probably tomorrow or maybe tonight)! It was horrible! But again, you CAN proceed with the game after Gary (using som glitched items to make NPC's disappear and giving you the ability to walk through one wall boundary, which is pretty random), but it will take some time… Proceed with caution, and GOOD LUCK!!!!! :D

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-09-19 02:52:09

Heh.  No more Yellow glitch research for me…

Whoever stole it, I hope you get caught in an infinite loop of NPC object events.

Your cart got stolen? But there's an option called "NEW GAME"…

Posted by: ProfessorGlitch
Date: 2013-09-19 06:32:09
Still trying to get the glitch to work again… All I get is "The file data is destroyed!" and a normal save… It's a shame… Sorry about your cartridge, MrGlitch… Got it! I finally got it! Now just have to start from scratch… Again…

Date: 2013-09-27 22:18:11

Your cart got stolen?

Yep…it was in my backpack when the entire thing - along with a MacBook Pro, an iPod, and various textbooks, was stolen.  Probably the least valuable thing in the bag, but still…

I think I still have a copy of Red around here somewhere that I never got the glitch to work on, maybe I'll try that.