Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Pokemon Yellow "Save Abuse" Glitch - Page 10

Re: Pokemon Yellow "Save Abuse" Glitch

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-12-11 03:16:07
I managed to get a Pokémon called "COMET PUN" and "SPIKE CAN", 100%quality

Posted by: PlasmaStar
Date: 2017-02-13 20:57:31
I don't know why nobody has mentioned this (yet), but there IS a way past Oak/Coffee Guy (A.K.A. "Progress Prevention Glitch" as I've seen it called). Simply perform the bad save after delivering the Parcel. Sure, you lose Pikachu (forever AFAIK), but you gain memory editing power.

You can later remove the corrupt Pokemon team by catching a Pokemon (not sure if Pikachu counts (yet)), and depositing anything invalid into the PC boxes and Releasing them. Or keep them, I don't care. :) Not sure the side effects of switching any leftover invalids around in the party are, but I caught a legitimate Ditto at some point and its OT ID stopped matching my Trainer ID. (Possibly because I fiddle with the items, not sure).

Notes of interest are the Surfboard item, giving you access to Cinnabar Island very early (and a chance to catch Ditto lol).

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-02-15 09:40:48
Progress Prevention isn't the SRAM glitch.

Progress Prevention is that under the right circumstances (such as performing the SRAM glitch, mostly known as the "save corruption glitch"), the game's progression is halted by Oak.
Your remark is still correct, but it is also possible to use any form of Wrong Warping (easy using the Item pack-powered memory edition and "last exit" doors) to skip Coffee Guy.

Lastly, you almost certainly modified your TID by "fiddling with the items", since items past the 20th slot are just a part of the game's RAM interpreted as items. Modifying them does modify game data (such as TID :P)

Posted by: PlasmaStar
Date: 2017-02-15 10:07:25
What I'm trying to say is, fight Gary, deliver the Parcel to Oak, THEN perform the SAVE bug (without having saved during all that). Which is a little more time consuming on normal hardware due to the timing (during saving), but possible.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/qkkvrHn.png[/img]

^No Pikachu present, unfortunately. :(

Also, I haven't gotten the WTW scenario to work out of this. So if somebody could produce step by step instructions or a short video, that would be appreciated.

Date: 2017-02-15 11:39:51
Yeah, but that doesn't fall under "prevented progress" since nothing prevents your progress. That's what I meant.
I don't mean what you said is useless, since I don't remember this being documented anywhere. I might just add that to the wiki.

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2017-11-21 11:11:01
I would like to mention that if you are on emulator, you can guarantee the success of this glitch by breakpointing address $1C:77DA (That's the address in Red/Blue, i'm unsure about Yellow), saving the game, and restarting when the emulator hits that breakpoint.

In fact, I have not found definitive proof that your name affects the the success of this glitch at all. Whether or not this glitch succeeds seems to be entirely dependent on whether or not the game fixes the checksum.

Edit: I have also confirmed the glitch to be functional on Japanese Blue and Pikachu versions. As it stands, it is impossible to pull this off on Japanese Red/Green due to the way the games initialize SRAM. However, you can still transfer Pokemon from an older save file.

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2017-11-25 15:04:39
1. Name yourself 'AAAS' and Save Abuse.
2. Scroll up in the PkMn menu 26 times.
3. Exit the PkMn menu

If you don't get the infinite name, open the PkMn screen again and close after waiting a little. If you're lucky, the game will return without collapsing, and you'll have a save file full of overflowed stack. :p

There may be a way to get a PkMn-menu-viewing item, and an itemfinder, potentially allowing exiting of the menu without inf-name corruption.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-12-06 07:13:16

I would like to mention that if you are on emulator, you can guarantee the success of this glitch by breakpointing address $1C:77DA (That's the address in Red/Blue, i'm unsure about Yellow), saving the game, and restarting when the emulator hits that breakpoint.

In fact, I have not found definitive proof that your name affects the the success of this glitch at all. Whether or not this glitch succeeds seems to be entirely dependent on whether or not the game fixes the checksum.

Edit: I have also confirmed the glitch to be functional on Japanese Blue and Pikachu versions. As it stands, it is impossible to pull this off on Japanese Red/Green due to the way the games initialize SRAM. However, you can still transfer Pokemon from an older save file.

That's a useful tip. Thanks!

I remember somebody (FractalFusion?) talking about the SRAM glitch in one of the Japanese versions, and I guessed it probably would work on the original Red/Green v1.0 and v1.1. I don't know if I was ever able to get it to work on those versions though, despite it occurring in Japanese Blue and Japanese Yellow. Though FractalFusion posted a VBM file of it working on one of the versions which may have been a Red/Green.

3. Exit the PkMn menu

If you don't get the infinite name, open the PkMn screen again and close after waiting a little. If you're lucky, the game will return without collapsing, and you'll have a save file full of overflowed stack. :p

There may be a way to get a PkMn-menu-viewing item, and an itemfinder, potentially allowing exiting of the menu without inf-name corruption.

This sounds awesome. ^^ How does it work, may I ask?

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2017-12-06 17:36:20

3. Exit the PkMn menu

This sounds awesome. ^^ How does it work, may I ask?

(fuck, i forgot to mention that version only works in pokemon eng yellow. for redblue it's the same but replace the name with 'AAS' instead)
This route uses the way the game handles drawing sprites for Pok`emon, which, when invalid, can reach far beyond normal limits. it reaches into WRAM, as far as address $D2EE for PkMn #255. By scrolling up, we are making the address $D15A change. It adds $40 every time a sprite's frame changes. The hex of capital letter S is $92, and $92+$40*3=$52, which is the byte for the player name. And a variable referencing itself is…bad news, to say the least.

So basically this setup uses a slightly unorthodox method of making the player name repeat itself. I'm working on finding a setup that allows a quick way to save the game in the infinite name state.

EDIT: Getting pikachu is necessary, but if you set the cursor at pokemon 255 right before , you can still scroll through your later pokemon, so long as you don't press down

Date: 2017-12-08 04:06:19
I see. Lovely. Thanks for the input! :)

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2017-12-08 15:34:41
So I found a Gyarados that knows Mega Kick in my party.

There's something about it's sprite, and I just can't quite put my finger on it…

Date: 2017-12-09 05:26:39
YOU… YOU…
… UNSTABLE HYBRID !!!!

Sorry, that was mean. How's it going ?

Date: 2017-12-11 15:29:21

YOU… YOU…
… UNSTABLE HYBRID !!!!

Sorry, that was mean. How's it going ?

Say that to my face fucker not online and see what happens.

I also have a Dragonite whose back sprite used to change colors, but now it doesn't. Is there any way to get it to do so again?

Date: 2017-12-11 16:28:20
In theory you can change it if you deposit a Pokémon in the box, followed by Q, followed by the Pokémon you want, followed by the Pokémon with the colour you want, then withdraw the first Pokémon to apply the effects on Pokémon 3.

What slot was that Dragonite in? If you know the exact slot I can look into what controls its colour for you. Its possible there's something about that Dragonite's species byte 2 being easy to change. A lot of data beyond slot 6 actually isn't Pokémon data at all, hence why it could change so easily.

Date: 2017-12-11 17:48:38

In theory you can change it if you deposit a Pokémon in the box, followed by Q, followed by the Pokémon you want, followed by the Pokémon with the colour you want, then withdraw the first Pokémon to apply the effects on Pokémon 3.

What slot was that Dragonite in? If you know the exact slot I can look into what controls its colour for you. Its possible there's something about that Dragonite's species byte 2 being easy to change. A lot of data beyond slot 6 actually isn't Pokémon data at all, hence why it could change so easily.

At the moment, Dragonite is #1 in my party, but I think I originally found it (it "became" part of my team like a year ago) somewhere in the 20's. If it's fainting cry is any indication, it's a Mankey hybrid.

Depositing things into the PC won't work, because the game crashes when I try to do so.