Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

"ZZAZZ glitch"? - Page 13

Re: "ZZAZZ glitch"?

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-04-25 15:08:09

I have noticed that after I do the ZZAZZ glitch, my kangaskhan's data says OT:ZZBZIZ when my ZZAZZ name is ZZIZYZ[male sign]ZZZZ and My chosen name is Ziggy[Female sign][male sign]. Can someone explain to me why the OT of my kangaskhan (Bulbasaur) is ZZBZIZ, when my normal name and ZZAZZ name are nothing like it.

It's screws up OTs differently than normal names.  Because OTs are a different variable than normal names.

Posted by: Adam glitch
Date: 2008-04-27 04:08:10
Thanks

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2008-05-17 00:07:05
Been fooling around some more and found some interesting stuff.

If you triggered ZZAZZ with six Pokemon, you can deposit and then withdraw Pokemon to reset the end marker for your party. This lets you access your party again. Deposited ZZAZZed Pokemon withdrawn again have often have their levels changed (ex: my Dewgong went from 46 to 215) I'm not sure if this is new or not, but I thought I'd mention it.

This also lets me research that ZZAZZ Starmie form some Pokemon turn into. In my case mine used to be a Vaporeon.

HEX 255

I went through the usual process of ZZAZZ and restored my party limit via method above, and then I went into the grass east of fuschia and encountered a Ditto. I switched to ZZAZZ Starmie since my ZZAZZ Bulbasaur didn't have any attack moves outside of Explosion and Toxic. Ditto copies Starmie. Ditto turns into Bulbasaur! Hmm…so it's really part ZZAZZ Bulbasaur after all?

I defeat the Ditto. Starmie grew to Lv. 105 (It was Lv.200 before)! Odd, usually it goes down all the way to 100. The stats screen suggests that getting 238770 exp will level it up to 106, but after a couple battles the exp. needed says the same. I give it a Rare Candy and it levels up to 106. I use it in battle, it goes back down to Lv.105.

I decided to see if it could learn any moves by leveling up (it has a normal Starmie's TM set) so I clone a bunch of Rare Candies and level it up to 255. Not a thing was learned. Here are its stats:

HP  616
AT  428
DE  425
SPD 397
SP  507

Then I gave it more Rare Candies and went through levels 0-100. No moves learned then either. Here are its stats at Lv 100:

HP  249
AT  171
DE  171
SPD 159
SP  202

I tried giving it more Rare Candies, but they wouldn't work. Had I somehow normalized the Starmie? To check, I had a Ditto copy it. Nope, Ditto still turns into a Bulbasaur. It hits Starmie with Thunderbolt, which does neutral damage. That doesn't make sense for either part of the ZZAZZ Starmie: the Starmie part should've been hit for supereffective, while the Bulbasaur part should've taken half damage. I let the Ditto hit me with Surf. Also neutral damage, which once again is strange since both Starmie and Bulbasaur are resistant to Water. So it has a glitch type? Or no type at all? The data screen stays it's Water-Psychic, but…

Hmm, the Pokedex doesn't seem to think it's a Starmie. According to my Pokedex I have only seen Starmie. Same goes for the Bulbasaur area of my Pokedex, though it registers the Ivysaur and Venusaur evolutions of them. Is it because they're not those Pokemon, or it is because of how I obtained them through ZZAZZ?

I fight the Death Trainer, uses regular Charizard M and then the Doom Charizard M that freezes my game. The regular Charizard M takes supereffective damage from Surf and Thunderbolt, as a good fire-flying type should. It's a hybrid, but it still takes the usual damage…

HEX 251

More fun with the Ditto Trick under ZZAZZ conditions. I deposit the last two Pokemon on my team and then withdraw them to stablize my team. Now somehow my top ZZAZZasaur has the attack TM22 with 1/22 PP. Weird, reminds me of the Celebi trick…As a side note, no OT names were ZZAZZed this time. My name still became ZZMZZ though.

I fight with the ZZAZZ Starmie, it levels down to Lv 107. Odd. I look through my party's stats and decide to try out Special [Pokeball] 74 to see what I get.

Before that I run into another Ditto. I let it transform into the ZZAZZ Starmie. The Ditto becomes a Eevee O_o. And here I was thinking that I had this psycho starfish figured out…could it be because I'm using 251 instead of 255?

After that strange incident I went on with the Ditto Trick as normal, beating Death Trainer's Lv.0 team. I encounter a Lv. 7 Machop. Bleh. I encounter Death Trainer again, with the Glitcherino revived. I kill the Glitcherino again, and I survive.

I decided to do another Ditto Trick. I think I know what happened to me the last time I encountered the Death Trainer via ZZAZZ-condition Ditto Trick. To test this, I choose one of my Pokemon with a special of 232. I'm not sure which glitch Trainer this triggers, but I know it causes a Trainer to appear.

Ditto Trick again, fight Death Trainer and his revived Glitcherino again, and then I arrive at the battle site. Trainer battle music plays, and I find myself against…Death Trainer, only with his name blank ("      wants to fight!")

So all the trainer data has been overwritten with the Death Trainer data. No wonder you find nothing but Death Trainers everywhere you go! This doesn't seem to apply to the Pokemon data, hence why you can still have normal wild battles.

The Glitcherino is once again alive, and using items doesn't let me flee. When I try to attack, it works! Maybe I was on an unstable HEX that other time, and that's why it crashed? I beat the Death Trainer ("ZZMZZ defeated !") and I get the message "Cooltrainer(female):That one got away!" (It's actually a mix of the most recent two Trainers I had beaten as Death Trainers, a Cooltrainer and then a Fisherman).

I encounter a wild Pokemon and defeat it. I face Death Trainer with Glitcherino revived and win. I fight another wild Pokemon, and encounter Death Trainer again. This time the Glitcherino doesn't revive and he brings out the Doom Charizard and freezes my game. Bleh.

I think that doing the Ditto Trick or encountering wild Pokemon might increase the chances of the Glitcherino being revived. Or maybe it's just dumb luck. I'd have to look more into it…

Posted by: MissingNO. #1 Master
Date: 2008-05-17 07:20:35
What color was the Starmie that spawned Bulbasaur?
What color was the Starmie that spawned Eevee?

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2008-05-17 20:47:53
There was no color difference in the Starmie

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2008-09-06 14:34:52
Has anyone tried ZZAZZ with -3- pokes in your party ?

My hypothesis is that it would ZZAZZ your party like:
Bulba 153
Bulba 153
<YOUR THIRD POKE>
Bulba 153
Bulba 153
(cancel)

like it glitches up a 3-char name like ZZ(3rd char of name)ZZ(00)

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2008-09-06 16:04:51

Has anyone tried ZZAZZ with -3- pokes in your party ?

My hypothesis is that it would ZZAZZ your party like:
Bulba 153
Bulba 153
<YOUR THIRD POKE>
Bulba 153
Bulba 153
(cancel)

like it glitches up a 3-char name like ZZ(3rd char of name)ZZ(00)

No, if you had 3 Pokemon before it would be Poke1, Poke2, Poke3, Cancel, then it would become Bulba, Bulba, Poke3, Bulba, Bulba, 'M because it looks for the same amount of pokemon as it is asked to look for, which isn't what you have, causing it to be more likely to crash.

You would need 2 Pokemon or 5 pokemon to cancel correctly.

Date: 2008-09-07 08:07:59
hah. oops, forgot about cancel :p

Posted by: Shrameo
Date: 2008-09-21 17:23:11
Hey, is there any reason some of the letters or symbols between the "ZZ"s are there, or is it just random like always.

[glow=red,2,300]-N.G.C.A.[/glow]

Date: 2008-09-23 07:45:53
the glitch sets most of the variables in RAM to hex 99, except the map,etc and every third byte (maybe because of the 153 factor again ?)

so that is why some of the letters are there - because ZZAZZ has spared every third byte :)

i keep wondering what byte in the party data distinguishes between 'M and the cancel button ….

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2008-09-23 11:34:38

the glitch sets most of the variables in RAM to hex 99, except the map,etc and every third byte (maybe because of the 153 factor again ?)

so that is why some of the letters are there - because ZZAZZ has spared every third byte :)

i keep wondering what byte in the party data distinguishes between 'M and the cancel button ….

Before there is the Pokemon there is 2 numbers which tell it how many Pokemon to read. The FF after that is cancel.

Posted by: agusganog
Date: 2009-01-14 17:36:10
Just an idea, but could ZZAZZ be caused by the game reading the hex of the trainer and trying to load its data from a location that is used for something else? Is the hex of an encountered trainer a pointer to a location from which data is loaded?

Ex: Since Lance's hex is F6, it should point to a specific location that contains his data. Encountering hex F7 tries to load data that is beyond the data for normal trainers (which is probably just 00s) and results in a crash. A little farther in the RAM data for something unrelated begins, so a pointer to a location beyond Lance's tries to load data that is not meant to be used for trainers.

Lets say that this location that contains the trainer's data contains a byte (or bytes) that controls how much data the game loads. If the game were to try and load from an abnormal location, the byte that contrals how much data is loaded is just a random value. The game takes an excessive amount of data and pastes it into where the "current opposing trainer's" code is. However, the data overwrites much of what is contained after the opposing trainers data.

Is this a possible explanation at all (its how I have always thought of it)?

Posted by: Missingno.Fan
Date: 2009-04-07 20:40:29
I remember doing this glitch once a couple years ago. Does anyone know what kind of trainer that battles you or does it vary?

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2009-09-16 16:11:21
Its quite funny that after the name change, if you do the old man glitch you also find lvl 153 bulbasaurs, just not with explosion. Also if I do it with only 1 Pokémon it says I have two mewtwos with bulbasaurs icon in my party? But I can't select them.  I also found that it dsoesn't change your 3rd move.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2009-11-25 22:21:04
Ever tried doing it with only 1 pokemon? for me it created unselectable pokemon called MEWTWO in slot two and three with bulbasaurs sprite. of course I couldn't get to cancel because of that and slot one was an explodosaur.

Oops, it seems I have said this before, about 2 months ago. D: