Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

"ZZAZZ glitch"? - Page 5

Re: "ZZAZZ glitch"?

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-09-15 09:42:12

Generall, it always puts Z (hex 0x99, decimal 153) pretty consistently in the same locations throughout memory. It will leave certain spots unchanged, such as the third character of your name.

For example, if your name is ASH, the first five characters if our name (at least) will become ZZHZZ.

If you have a two-character name (for example, AL), your name will become ZZ and you will be able to save your game in this new setting (without erasing it).
Explain this more please. Sounds cool :) ;). But why wouldn't it erase it? I thought it had something to do with the ED symbol, not out of bounds?!

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2007-09-16 17:09:29
I think he means that if the ending data is overwritten, then your name will go out of bounds, which screws up the game.

Is that really all it takes to keep your game from being erased, though? Your name?

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-09-16 17:11:19
No, not always, but it does help. If your name doesn't end properly, it is automatically counted as a corruption and deleted.

Date: 2007-09-16 17:17:21
I see. So it's not so much a guarantee that your game will be saved if your name ends properly. It's just means that if your name is to long, yur game will automatically be screwed XD.

Hey, isn't there a glitch where you could make the Old Man's name your own? Sure would be useful for the people who don't have the perfect names…

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-09-16 17:25:52
Yeah, but you need gameshark.
You go into battle as an Old Man

Date: 2007-09-16 17:27:16
Oh, I see. I thought it was a glitch anyone can do…

Date: 2007-10-09 16:59:39
Sorry about the double post, but I've just done some experimenting with HEXes 250-253. And I've gotten some interesting results…

HEX 250 - apparently doesn't work well for Charizard M. No matter what you do in the battle (including using an item), the game will freeze. Opponent's Pokemon: Charizard M. Oddly, the ZZAZZ glitch doesn't seem to occur here, since my Dugtrio was still a Dugtrio with all its normal moves when I sent it out to battle (though its picture is messed up)

Did this one two times, first time trying to use an item and second time trying to use a battle command.

HEX 251 - is unstable. It takes a VERY long time for the trainer to appear, and everything requires more than one button press. I was up against a Lv.0 glitcherino (glitched Nidorino). ZZAZZ was in effect, as I had a 153 Bulbasaur inistead of Dugtrio. Used item, exited battle. The death trainers seem to have the same Pokemon as the first trainer, only the battle settings are (slightly) more stable. The death trainer had the Lv. 0 glitcherino (easily KO'D) and an Omastar. I never got to fight the Omastar, however, as a huge blank text box would pop up on the screen whenever it started asking me if I wanted to switch Pokemon. Said text box never went away, so I had to shut off the game. 

First time - 'fled' from first trainer, battled against death trainer, froze at white text box.

Second time - same

Third time- now this is strange. I encounter the trainer, wait for the black screen to go away, and then a low buzzing noise replaces the music. When the battle screen comes on, both me and the trainer encased in black boxes. The message" Sorry! The trade was canceled. Then I get warped to this freaky trading screen, where the names M and Bulasaur are repeated over and over. Keep pressing A, and it keeps saying that the trade was canceled.

I know this is not new by itself, but I've never heard of this happening during Charizard M/ZZAZZ encounters.

HEX 252 - is oddly stable. ZZAZZ in effect, opponent has Charizard M. Fled from battle via item activation, face off against death trainer. KO the Charizard M, which is the only Pokemon, and I WIN! Then the game whites out. Bleh.

First time - tried to look at party screen, white out. This also occurred with the other two HEXes.

Second time- face off against death trainer, win, white out

253- is bizaare. I face off against an opponent with a weird glitch that turns the music to a slowed-down Champion music. It's level 32. ZZAZZ is not in effect, I still have Dugtrio. I throw a Ultra Ball to 'flee' the battle. It doesn't work! Then I try an attack. It DOES work! Knocked out glitch, and face a series of normal Pokemon at Level 32: Mr.Mime, Rhyhorn, Lapras, Lickitung, and then lv.32 MissingNo. I beat them all, and defeat the trainer. Woohoo! I exit the battle.

Wait a sec, WHERE AM I?! Seems I've been shipped to a glitch city. I only stay for a few seconds before I'm flown off to the glitched Pokemon center. My character isn't visible, and when I press a direction on the pad, the already-fragmented tiles fragment even more. Freaky. Then I teleport away, to the place where you pay to get in the Safari zone, of all places. It isn't even gltiched. I land inside a left counter (figures), and warp away immediately after. Then the game blacks out.

I've only tried this once, but I plan to do so again.

That's my report. What do you make of it?   

Date: 2007-10-09 17:21:25
Wait, if you name yourself OLD MAN will you really battle as him? Or do you need the code…?

Date: 2007-10-09 17:28:37
You would need the code, I imagine.

Date: 2007-10-09 17:32:59
Anyway nice finds. What hex did Newo use (Newo, what hex did you use?).

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-10-10 16:58:20
253- is bizaare. I face off against an opponent with a weird glitch that turns the music to a slowed-down Champion music. It's level 32. ZZAZZ is not in effect, I still have Dugtrio. I throw a Ultra Ball to 'flee' the battle. It doesn't work! Then I try an attack. It DOES work! Knocked out glitch, and face a series of normal Pokemon at Level 32: Mr.Mime, Rhyhorn, Lapras, Lickitung, and then lv.32 MissingNo. I beat them all, and defeat the trainer. Woohoo! I exit the battle.

Wait a sec, WHERE AM I?! Seems I've been shipped to a glitch city. I only stay for a few seconds before I'm flown off to the glitched Pokemon center. My character isn't visible, and when I press a direction on the pad, the already-fragmented tiles fragment even more. Freaky. Then I teleport away, to the place where you pay to get in the Safari zone, of all places. It isn't even gltiched. I land inside a left counter (figures), and warp away immediately after. Then the game blacks out.

HOLY CRAP. We gotta get a video of that…

I am SO trying that….My name in Blue is TW, so my gamefile is (I hope) safe.

Date: 2007-10-10 18:09:39
I'm using a old used Blue cartridge I got at the game store, so videos are a bit tricky :/

Oh and Led, ZZAZZ isn't in effect for HEX 253 as far as I know, so it wouldn't matter. Actually, I don't see how this HEX has anything to do with ZZAZZ or Charizard M. The game's so busy warping you places that you don't have a chance to open the menu, much less save the game (though I could try to open the menu in the glitched Pokemon Center/building/whatever. Seems to be stable until you press on a direction pad).

Btw, my name is TOM on my game. My name got changed to ZZMZZ, nothing more. Is that a stable name?

Oh, and another odd quirk. For all the hexes where my game didn't totally spaz during/after battle, I walked through Fuschia City with the poison flashes and having random Pokemon fainting due to poison. Nothing too unusual about that. Then I stepped into the building linking Fuschia City to the route outside. Poison flash, and the music warps slightly, muting out part of the main melody. I walk around, another poison flash. Now there's this really high-pitched dinging along with the regular music. Another poison flash, and now part of the Pallet Town Melody is playing with the regular music. Another poison flash, and it's the regular music again, only part of it is lagging behind the rest of the music. Another poison flash, and it's back to the first warped music.

What's causing that?! 

Date: 2007-10-10 18:12:55
Btw, my name is TOM on my game. My name got changed to ZZMZZ, nothing more. Is that a stable name?

Should if it doesn't go out of bounds. And what was Newo's name?(Newo, what was your name? :-[)

Date: 2007-10-10 18:19:15
Hmm…that's what I was thinking. I have other glitches I want to hunt down before I try that though (A, .4, etc.).

Oh, as a small note, don't bother trying to look at your party members outside of battle after ZZAZZ takes place. The game automatically whites out (though you may hear cursor sounds if you press A)

Date: 2007-10-10 18:21:44
Hmm? It didn't seem to do that in the video.