Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

"ZZAZZ glitch"? - Page 6

Re: "ZZAZZ glitch"?

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2007-10-10 18:38:19
But Newo only looked at his team when he needed to switch Pokemon, right? Or am I mistaken?

Posted by: LedZeplin2
Date: 2007-10-10 18:39:39

I'm using a old used Blue cartridge I got at the game store, so videos are a bit tricky :/

Oh and Led, ZZAZZ isn't in effect for HEX 253 as far as I know, so it wouldn't matter. Actually, I don't see how this HEX has anything to do with ZZAZZ or Charizard M. The game's so busy warping you places that you don't have a chance to open the menu, much less save the game (though I could try to open the menu in the glitched Pokemon Center/building/whatever. Seems to be stable until you press on a direction pad).

Btw, my name is TOM on my game. My name got changed to ZZMZZ, nothing more. Is that a stable name?

Oh, and another odd quirk. For all the hexes where my game didn't totally spaz during/after battle, I walked through Fuschia City with the poison flashes and having random Pokemon fainting due to poison. Nothing too unusual about that. Then I stepped into the building linking Fuschia City to the route outside. Poison flash, and the music warps slightly, muting out part of the main melody. I walk around, another poison flash. Now there's this really high-pitched dinging along with the regular music. Another poison flash, and now part of the Pallet Town Melody is playing with the regular music. Another poison flash, and it's the regular music again, only part of it is lagging behind the rest of the music. Another poison flash, and it's back to the first warped music.

What's causing that?! 

Yeah, but it would be cool to see a picture of where you're stuck in the wall… ;D

Hey, I got my Blue (and Red, Yellow, and Crystal) all from the same Gamestop. Mine are old too.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-10-11 10:24:25
It has superglitch-like effects, anything can happen. I wouldn't advise doing it in the first place.
And no, 253 isn't a ZZAZZ trainer. It is just a glitch one.

FC  252  Glitch Trainer (Can be used for ZZAZZ Glitch) 
FD  253  Glitch Trainer (Freezes after battle)
FE  254  Glitch Trainer (Can be used for ZZAZZ Glitch)
FF  255  Glitch Trainer (Can be used for ZZAZZ Glitch)

I lost my cartridge to ZZAZZ, just so you know. Fortunately I recovered it with some bettery surgery.

And finally my name is OLD MAN due to the glitch that changes your name into OLD MAN, not because of pokegod like hoaxes

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-10-11 16:13:27
Ah…so wait, what's the longest it can get before the glitch would make it go out of bounds?

Date: 2007-10-11 16:21:54

I lost my cartridge to ZZAZZ, just so you know. Fortunately I recovered it with some bettery surgery.

Battery surgery? You mean a Gameshark…right?

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2007-10-11 16:23:19
Wait, what exactly did it do to the cartridge? If it can completely KILL a game by using without even saving, I don't think I'll try this after all.

Date: 2007-10-11 17:17:46
Yeah, me neither. I mean…I don't want my game to die…

Date: 2007-10-11 19:36:34
Wait, so this can completely corrupt the cartridge? Hmm…

Which ZZAZZ hex did you use when it broke your catridge, Newo? Did anything odd happen, (well, odd for ZZAZZ anyway) or did the glitch go on as usual but when you tried to restart the game it spazzed? Either way, I bought my blue solely for glitch experiments, so I don't really care what happens to it (otherwise I wouldn't be glitching it :P)

Did some tinkering with HEX 255 the other day. First opponent had good ol' Charizard M, and ZZAZZ was in effect. Ended the battle with an item. Faced off against the death trainer, who supposedly only had one active Pokemon, but brought out a second Charizard M after the first one. Or tried to: damn glitch text box popped up right before I got the option to switch Pokemon, with a little glitchy text in it. It stayed like this for about five seconds, then the game just crashed.

Second try, I go into the grass for a Pokemon battle. I come across a Lv.23 Pidgey. I send out Dugtrio the Bulbasaur and kill it. Dugtrio "grew" to Level 100, and evolved into Ivysaur. So do three other Pokemon that aren't on my team and had nothing whatsoever to do with the fight, including a [glitchblock][glitchblock] HYPER FAN [glitchblock][glitchblock] O_o. Then the game whites out.

Haven't been able to get a Pokemon to Special 254 yet.

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2007-10-12 10:05:48

Wait, so this can completely corrupt the cartridge? Hmm…

Which ZZAZZ hex did you use when it broke your catridge, Newo? Did anything odd happen, (well, odd for ZZAZZ anyway) or did the glitch go on as usual but when you tried to restart the game it spazzed? Either way, I bought my blue solely for glitch experiments, so I don't really care what happens to it (otherwise I wouldn't be glitching it :P)

Did some tinkering with HEX 255 the other day. First opponent had good ol' Charizard M, and ZZAZZ was in effect. Ended the battle with an item. Faced off against the death trainer, who supposedly only had one active Pokemon, but brought out a second Charizard M after the first one. Or tried to: damn glitch text box popped up right before I got the option to switch Pokemon, with a little glitchy text in it. It stayed like this for about five seconds, then the game just crashed.

Second try, I go into the grass for a Pokemon battle. I come across a Lv.23 Pidgey. I send out Dugtrio the Bulbasaur and kill it. Dugtrio "grew" to Level 100, and evolved into Ivysaur. So do three other Pokemon that aren't on my team and had nothing whatsoever to do with the fight, including a [glitchblock][glitchblock] HYPER FAN [glitchblock][glitchblock] O_o. Then the game whites out.

Haven't been able to get a Pokemon to Special 254 yet.

Answers to your questions, the special was 251, I did it twice and the second time (New save) it went straight to the startup glitch style and the games didn't start up properly again but I fixed it by removing the battery, because it wouldn't do much harm to a broken game. If you are using emulator just use the code 01??59D0, it is much easier, it is almost ditto trick like, much better than 01??D8CF. The effects are varied. I know it is. I can find 251 with very little bad effects.

And also, 1 pokemon in your party = game crash. It will overwrite the ending pattern.

Date: 2007-10-13 19:48:58
251, huh? That doesn't surprise me. Out of all the ZZAZZ HEXes, that one seems to be the most unstable, slowing down the game and occasionally taking you to a glitched trade center when you encounter the first trainer.

I did a bit more experimenting.

Went back to HEX 253, got same glitchy warping after I beat the trainer. It wasn't a glitchy Pokemon center I was warped to before, it was glitched Silph Co. building. Oh, and Oak was standing in the corner of the screen. Tried to open the start menu, no luck. It appears that I was just exiting the Viridian Gym (after being warped away from the Safari Zone building again) when the screen blacked out.

Then it was on to HEX 252 again. I went to heal my Pokemon at the Pokemon Center, hearing that it caused glitchy effects. It did. On Nurse Joy's last dialogue line the whole place got scrambled. Then stranger things happened. The bottom half of the screen would suddenly shift to the side, while the top half would drop down, repeatedly. On Joy's textbox stood the bottom halves of Pokemon sprites. Then I realized that it was like the opening screen, where the Pokemon are constantly shifting across the screen. I try to move, no luck. I press start, and the entire area goes white, except for the people onscreen. Then they too vanish, and the starting menu pops up, with Continue, New Game, etc. I press Continue, see my game's stats, and then the whole thing whites out. Sounds like the game was tricked into thinking it had reset, only it hadn't.

Then I hunted down 252 again (surprisingly I still had a game file after the last fiasco) I went to the PC, tried to withdraw Pokemon, only they're weren't any (not a glitch, it was just an empty box). Tried to deposit Pokemon, found random glitched TM TRAINER tiles popping up as I strolled down, until I had strolled past the party and onto the tiles themselves. I try to deposit the tiles, but it doesn't work :P. Then I found a Bellsprout, killed it, and Dugtrio the Bulbasaur became an Ivysaur. Oddly he was the only one that evolved, and the screen whited out.

That is my report.

Date: 2007-10-13 20:12:09
Oh my…Those sound REALLY SCARY. The part with the Pokemon scrolling sounds the scariest.

Date: 2007-10-13 20:35:49
Well you don't really "see" the Pokemon scrolling, you just see bottom half of the screen move to the side, and then a but of the Pokemon's sprite can be seen at the top of the screen.

Actually. the scariest part was when the game whited out after I hit the Continue option in the "reset". I thought my file was screwed…

Date: 2007-10-19 19:39:48
Apoligies for the double post, but I have some more reporting to do.

First, I have six Pokemon on my team. I think the "ending" code for of my party must've been overwritten, and that was why I couldn't look at the team, or switch Pokemon. However, I could look at their stats via PC (Go to Deposit, selet member, and it will ask if you want to deposit, look at stats, or cancel) Here's what I found with HEX 255.

MOLE the Dugtrio - 153 Bulbasaur - Explosion Explosion RockSlide Explosion 

CHARGE the Jolteon - 153 Starmie (wtf?) named CHARGD- status BRN - E33/464 (Half-drained Hp bar) - Explosion Explsion Double Kick Explosion

TIDE the Vaporeon - Lv 87 Vaporeon (level unchanged) -extended HP bar 15/371- 7428455 to Lv 88 -Explosion Surf Explosion Explosion

AEROD the Aerodactyl (creative, no? :P) - Lv 0 Bulbasaur - Extended HP bar, 21/10 HP - status PSN - 6725425 to Lv 1 - Explosion Fly Explosion Explosion

AERIS the Moltres - Lv 26 Bulbasaur - PSN - Extended HP bar  21/10 HP- 6739443 to Lv 27 - Explosion Double Edge Explosion Explosion

Mewtwo - Game Crash

——

I tried this a few more times. It seems the game can't handle Mewtwo being anywhere but the first slot, since whenever I try to check its stats otherwisw the game spazzes. Also, the Cancel button becomes either a glitchy mess of TM trainer pixels, or takes on the last name of the Pokemon before it. However, I was not able to deposit or withdraw the cancel button, because it still acted like a Cancel button when I clicked on it. Also the stats are glitched as well, such as a Pokemon having (Pokeball symbol) 71 Attack, for example. The OT names would also get ZZAZZed, even if they were traded Pokemon, though there was one odd time where one name only got partly ZZAZZed (SAKURA became ZZKURA). I also switch around the party Pokemon. Seems whatever Pokemon's in the second slot becomes a Starmie.

After one session I try to use a Full Heal on the party. White out.

Another thing I noticed is that, just like with M and MissingNo, if you look at a (somewhat) stable Pokemon's stats, it fixes the graphics. This also allows me to not crash after a battle, so that my Mole the Bulbasaur can become an Ivysaur without causing a white-out. I start fighting with the now-Lv.100 Ivysaur. I try to switch Pokemon to see if it's stablized my party, white out. Bleh…guess I have to change the number of Pokemon in my party before stats if I don't want the game to crash. What's a good number of Pokemon to have? 

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2007-10-19 19:51:58
So this is, in essence, like the superglitch/TM Trainer effect?

Date: 2007-10-19 20:13:22
(reads)…Yep, sounds just like it, actually. I've only encountered it with the Cooltrainer Ditto trick before, but that crashed the game after the battle ended, so the only outside effects I know of is that it often glitches the HoF.

Any idea why TM TRAINER happens, though? Or, for that matter, where the TM TRAINER comes from?