Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

General Pokemon Glitchiness - Page 11

Re: General Pokemon Glitchiness

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-07-04 08:18:49
My guess is the cry being cut caused the freeze. Why it cut the cry, I can't tell.

Posted by: Mefista
Date: 2017-09-07 15:55:18
It's not a glitch per se,but I was using modding tools on Blue and accidentally nuked the whole intro after Oak's speech (it shows error in its end,then cuts to the player's house).And I ended with my character being named NINTEN,and rival named SONY.I didn't touch them,so it's kinda weird.

Date: 2017-09-07 17:01:42
No, that's intended, it's a feature.
When a new game is loaded, the default names are this ; there's a debugging feature that allows skipping the whole intro, and this sets the names to this.

Date: 2017-09-07 21:15:50
ISSOtm, oh, I see, thanks for clarifying ^^

I always end with odd errors if I try to mod gb/gbc games - there's this (I just replaced text of the first Oak screen, nothing else), and then there's that thing with Telefang (using the text editor made all the attacks - which I didn't even touch - into DUMMY…and after I reversed the changes,that one text string I intended to change remained changed somehow)…Oh well, my hands aren't wired to do this)

Date: 2017-09-08 07:38:45
Globally, to mod GB(C) games, you'll need to understand how it works, how it's stored.
Rule of thumb : if you write a string larger than the original one it'll end up badly.

Date: 2017-09-08 12:18:55
I know the string lenght rule,but I usually use editors,not mod rom by hand,so I assume people who did them know how to avoid errors?

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-09-08 13:44:39

I know the string lenght rule,but I usually use editors,not mod rom by hand,so I assume people who did them know how to avoid errors?
A tool's only as good as the person using it. Plain and simple

Date: 2017-09-08 16:35:42
Well, I am on a disability due to mental health problems,so you can figure out just how "good" of a person I am ><

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-09-08 18:56:17

Well, I am on a disability due to mental health problems,so you can figure out just how "good" of a person I am ><
100% Certified Autistic. I know how you feel. But you can overcome. Neuroplasticity is a beautiful thing.

Date: 2017-09-08 19:35:11

100% Certified Autistic. I know how you feel. But you can overcome. Neuroplasticity is a beautiful thing.

Thanks for being supportive *hugs*.I am diagnosed shizophrenic,but my doctor also said "You may also have Asperger's,but it's not diagnosed in Russia" (still no clue what that means).My mental state is more or less stable,but it's frustratingly hard for me to learn new things.

But seriously,the only game that I was able to mod a bit was Telefang, and it's due to the way it stores monster sprites (very neatly, in one piece and with spaces between them, so replacing is easy) and there are few very easy-to-use tools.

Pokemon won't budge (after disaster mentioned in this tread I haven't touched it…besides,most tools won't open on my computer for some reason), let alone Dragon Warrior Monsters (I wanted to do a russian translation so more people would play it + modify few sprites and insert custom text with me listed as a translator, so no-one'll claim it).

Date: 2017-09-09 10:52:35
I heavily doubt tools made for GB(C) games are smart enough to avoid overwrite issues.
Don't assume, try. Try a string shorter than the original one, then a longer one. Verify your assumptions first.

Date: 2017-09-09 11:58:09
One of the Telefang tools overwrote every single attack name with DUMMY,so yeah,there's that.

Well,I will try it later)

Date: 2017-12-15 19:39:50
I goofed up in Debug Yellow (started playing when majorly sleepy - was trying to fix sleep shedule) and made myself have 6 pokemon before delivering Oak's Parcel. What value needs to be changed to fix the prevented progress glitch that it caused? I'd prefer to not lose pokemon I got tho…and editing savestate is not an option cause it's on MeBoy, which on my phone doesn't produce a tangible save file at al.

Date: 2017-12-15 21:00:51
You mean you have 6 Pokémon in the Pokédex ?

Date: 2017-12-15 21:42:11
Yup. Put in 5 + got Pikachu.