Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Pokémon Glitch Discussion

General Pokemon Glitchiness - Page 10

Re: General Pokemon Glitchiness

Posted by: Crystalame
Date: 2015-01-02 05:19:37
Hey I couldn't find a Gen 4 glitch discussion thread and I think it's too minor to make a topic for it, so I'mma post it here. Hope that's alright.

I was too shy to post this before, and as such, forgot about it for a while, but I just remembered a small graphical error that happened to me while I was playing through HeartGold back in like May or something.

When I sent out two Shiny Pokemon in a double battle, the sparkle animation for the second Pokemon had some weird… uh… the only way I can describe it is, like, a transparency issue. You know when someone tries to make an image with soft edges transparent and they do a really bad job of it and it has weird, ugly white edges? That's what happens to the sparkles, from what I can remember. It really weirded me out because when it first happened, I only really saw it out of the corner of my eye because I was doing other things while playing, so I paid more attention the next time I entered a double battle to make sure I wasn't just going crazy and the same thing happened.

Unfortunately, you will have to take my word for this because I don't have any videos or images of it on me. I could RNG up another shiny or two and maybe try doing a double battle with them in the Battle Tower and see if I can get a video/picture of it though.

Actually though, part of me wonders if it was specifically the two Pokemon I was using (Feraligatr in first slot, Ho-Oh in second). Because, man, I can't believe no one's brought this up before. It's really obvious and strange looking.

[size=7pt]…Er, well, maybe they have and I've just never seen it.[/size]

Posted by: PokeGlitchFanatic
Date: 2015-01-03 09:49:43
While using random stats for the mew glitch,  I came across a glitch trainer.  Erica,  the fourth gym leader,  with nothing but a normal level 23 Pikachu. It was really weird.  Her losing text was "What a nightmare!" If anyone recognized her team layout or the text,  please tell me. I believe my stat was 237.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-01-03 10:31:42
Welcome back to the forums PGF.

Yes, that is Gentleman #03's team. You probably encountered Erika team 7, because you get that if you didn't lower or raise the opponent's attack stage with Growl/X Attack.

The Trainer classes beginning from Erika look like this: Erika, Koga, Blaine, Sabrina, Gentleman. The first four only have one team, so team #02 is Koga, team #03 is Blaine and team #04 is Sabrina. Then team #05 would be Gentleman's first team, and so on.

I don't recognize "what a nightmare!" though, and I can't find it in the text dumps. Maybe you got something a bit different to that?

I know that glitch Trainers can say things; because I got Prof. Oak to say a PokéManiac's defeat line (I suppose it was the last Trainer I battled), but I don't remember how.

Posted by: sunriseespeon
Date: 2015-01-03 10:43:09

I don't recognize "what a nightmare!" though, and I can't find it in the text dumps. Maybe you got something a bit different to that?

I didn't recognize it either, but I did find it in the text dump for RBY. It is there.
..worded that wrong. I'm asleep apparently. I meant: why do glitch trainers spout random nonsense? Is it to do with memory addresses? (Or whatever it is…. complete idiot at anything programming, I just like messing things up.)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-01-03 10:44:48
Thanks. Oh, it was formatted like
"What
a nightmare!"

But I was searching for it as one line.

I didn't recognize it either, but I did find it in the text dump for RBY. It is there.
..worded that wrong. I'm asleep apparently. I meant: why do glitch trainers spout random nonsense? Is it to do with memory addresses? (Or whatever it is…. complete idiot at anything programming, I just like messing things up.)

If you get them via the Ditto trick (and not just with the code 01xx59D0 for Red/Blue or 01xx58D0 for Yellow), then they may say what the last Trainer you battled said. I'm going to assume that they always do this.

So for example, a Jr Trainer(F) east of Fuchsia City says "I was too impatient!". If she was the last Trainer you battled before returning to the route you escaped from the long-range Trainer, the glitch Trainer will say this line.

[img]http://i4.minus.com/ibo77cMpgvFEBu.png[/img][img]http://i6.minus.com/ibrWeeMA0Re1vX.png[/img]

Note: I edited Vaporeon's Special stat with memory viewer.

Edit: "What a nightmare!" is said by a Channeler on Pokémon Towers' fifth floor, so you may have battled them.

[img]http://i4.minus.com/iEF1DYORUMQR6.png[/img][img]http://i3.minus.com/i7toEJJGpPUur.png[/img]

Posted by: Cryptic_Lynx
Date: 2015-01-15 11:10:06
This is supposed to be just weird glitches, right?

So, I don't remember this really well, because I was like seven when it happened. I was playing on my brother's physical copy of Pokemon LeafGreen (he had no cheating devices) and I think I was walking around on the route just north of Vermillion City, and I encountered a wild Oddish in the grass. I wasn't able to catch it because I didn't have any poke balls on me and I never saw it again.

Oddish is FireRed exclusive, so I have no idea how this happened or why. Any ideas?

Another thing: I would have double-posted this if I could have. I overloaded my game with cheat codes, because I was trying to see if I could get a shiny Espeon as my starter, and I didn't use the right master codes. I sent out a Bad Egg with a black sprite.
I would post the screenshots, but I couldn't figure out how and they're the wrong resolution anyway.

Posted by: sunriseespeon
Date: 2015-03-08 08:41:52

Hey I couldn't find a Gen 4 glitch discussion thread and I think it's too minor to make a topic for it, so I'mma post it here. Hope that's alright.

I was too shy to post this before, and as such, forgot about it for a while, but I just remembered a small graphical error that happened to me while I was playing through HeartGold back in like May or something.

When I sent out two Shiny Pokemon in a double battle, the sparkle animation for the second Pokemon had some weird… uh… the only way I can describe it is, like, a transparency issue. You know when someone tries to make an image with soft edges transparent and they do a really bad job of it and it has weird, ugly white edges? That's what happens to the sparkles, from what I can remember. It really weirded me out because when it first happened, I only really saw it out of the corner of my eye because I was doing other things while playing, so I paid more attention the next time I entered a double battle to make sure I wasn't just going crazy and the same thing happened.

Unfortunately, you will have to take my word for this because I don't have any videos or images of it on me. I could RNG up another shiny or two and maybe try doing a double battle with them in the Battle Tower and see if I can get a video/picture of it though.

Actually though, part of me wonders if it was specifically the two Pokemon I was using (Feraligatr in first slot, Ho-Oh in second). Because, man, I can't believe no one's brought this up before. It's really obvious and strange looking.

[size=7pt]…Er, well, maybe they have and I've just never seen it.[/size]

I know what you're describing! Also, I did it with a shiny Latias and Latios (wow Sunrise stop being a cheater!!) and it still did that. Did it on HeartGold with two legit shinies (a Furret and something else, I don't remember) and it also did that. It may have done that on Platinum too.

Edit: Picture with Lati@s (SoulSilver)
[img]http://i.imgur.com/2oUN3Wg.png[/img]
It's not really noticeable on the actual sparkle, but it is VERY noticeable on the fading of the second Pokémon's sparkles specifically.

Edit 2: Tried it out with: Latias and Latios on the two trainers outside Cliff Cave, which is the picture
Leafeon and Staraptor on the same trainers
Cresselia and Riolu on the young couple near the Safari Zone

All have the same "bug". I don't have a Platinum save file anymore so I can't test that out right now - I don't even remember any double battles there. Probably post-game stuff.

I'm uploading a video. I made it in like 5 seconds, but it's the results from above.

Posted by: TwilightHakuryuu
Date: 2015-12-30 00:48:03
Since this is a sticky and I haven't really seen this mentioned before and I think it's more of a minor glitch…

So, I was messing around with my spare Red Version cartridge a while back. I had never actually performed the Mew Glitch using the Special Stat of a Trainer's Pokémon before, so I had started a new game and worked my way to Cerulean City. Everything was business as usual until I went to battle Mew.

I fled from the long-distance trainer using a newly-caught Abra's Teleport. I defeated the trainer who had the right Pokémon. Then I teleported back to Cerulean.

This was where I deviated a little.

I opened my bag and discovered that I had no Pokéballs to catch the Mew with, so I went to the Cerulean PokéMart and bought some. I left the Mart. I saved outside it. I headed back to Nugget Bridge… Gary was back in the same place as before!

So I went up to Gary and asked him what he was doing there, to which he repeated his rude departing message from earlier but didn't actually leave this time, instead continuing to look around his vicinity eratically as if I wasn't even there. So I walked a little further, figuring it was just a weird little bug and would go away after I left the area for a bit.

Instead of the Start Menu opening, a dialogue box popped up. I don't remember what the text said, but when I finished clicking through it, the dialogue box closed and… Nothing happened.

No Mew. No battle. Just Gary being a jerk by blocking one side of the road.

I played that cartridge a bit more; I think I reset it when I reached the Safari Zone and attempted the Mew Glitch again using Ditto instead. I got the Mew that time but Gary never went away regardless of what I did.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-12-30 01:50:39
This is a text box ID mismatching. It happens because the glitch loads the text box with the same ID than the last text box you opened which in your case is not 0 (start menu) anymore. You'll find more on GCL's article about the glitch :)

Date: 2015-12-30 19:39:31

This is a text box ID mismatching. It happens because the glitch loads the text box with the same ID than the last text box you opened which in your case is not 0 (start menu) anymore. You'll find more on GCL's article about the glitch :)

Makes perfect sense for the dialogue box itself, but what of the lack of any encounter when I closed it and the reappearance of Gary? Does text box ID mismatching's effects extend to preventing the Mew Glitch from initiating an encounter and resetting flags for certain NPCs? Like causing the disappearing Snorlax as part of the Mew Glitch?

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-12-31 05:21:15
Hmm, I'm not sure, I think I already heard about that Gary returns thing. What I know for sure however, is that text box ID mismatching can cause weird effects if the called text box ID does not exist for the given Route, such as the Walking lag glitch.

Date: 2015-12-31 23:49:16

Hmm, I'm not sure, I think I already heard about that Gary returns thing. What I know for sure however, is that text box ID mismatching can cause weird effects if the called text box ID does not exist for the given Route, such as the Walking lag glitch.

I suppose I will have to recover my ROMs and emulators from my old laptop and start a new save, replicate what I did, and track what's happening as I do it. Ah well.

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2016-06-23 21:32:47
Not sure if I've posted this, but you can use 01EC1DD1 for Bird type-having Pokémon in Yellow.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-06-24 15:46:25

Makes perfect sense for the dialogue box itself, but what of the lack of any encounter when I closed it and the reappearance of Gary? Does text box ID mismatching's effects extend to preventing the Mew Glitch from initiating an encounter and resetting flags for certain NPCs? Like causing the disappearing Snorlax as part of the Mew Glitch?

Uh, I guess in that case the game tries to find Gary's sprite in the internal sprite table in some way, however he disappeared and the game loops infinitely while infinitely looking for him. Damn brat, where'd he go ??

Posted by: Lost-Paisley
Date: 2016-07-03 18:40:10
I've had an interesting glitch happen to me a few years ago back in Diamond and Pearl.

I used an AR code to make all wild encounters shiny, and apparently having that code on while with a partner causes some wild double battles to freeze after the first wild pokemon does the shiny animation.

First encounter was a Graveler and Onix on Iron Island with Riley. Graveler's shiny animation cut off Onix's cry and the game froze (notably, a small black bar appeared on the left-hand side)

Another encounter in the same place was (I think) Onix and and Steelix or both Onix, but the game didn't freeze and the animations played normally.

However, I had an encounter with Marley in that one part in Victory Road and encountered 2 shiny Machokes, which froze the game on the second one's shiny animation (and an extremely glitchy, small bar appeared in the same left-hand corner)

I found it odd since on yours and a trainer's side, the game doesn't freeze if 2 shinies (same species or not) are sent out at once. I had a video uploaded once that showed the first 2 encounters mentioned (that got removed due to people not liking anyone who uses cheats and reported the vid) and someone once mentioned to me that this was caused by the second pokemon's cry being cut off or something about the game handling all those variables at once causes it to overload and stop.

It's always had me curious as to why the game freezes.