Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 11

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: Destinatus
Date: 2010-09-23 20:28:49
Mm, how to explain…

1) Hai, welcome to the forums, bro

2) I understand that English isn't your main language

3) If you delete the glitched pokemon…Mm, I don't know, this is news to me.

4) Transferring it to, like, Red and G/S/C? I don't know there…Something you'll have to find out for yourself ;)

5) These "wacky" Pokemon, I've never had an experience like this, describe how it happened, and I'll attempt and recreate it.

Posted by: MissingNO. #1 Master
Date: 2010-09-28 04:29:10
And did it occur in Blue or Yellow?

Posted by: cacajols
Date: 2010-10-06 23:25:47
Hi, sorry for the late response (been really busy).
It happened in yellow. I don't really want to mess around with these "wacky" pokemon, so i don't really want to take them to any other pokemon cartridge, but i was just wondering if anyone had any trouble transfering a Mew obtained by the "mew glitch" to any pokemon cartridge (be it game boy or n64 cartridge).

I started pokemon yellow normally. I sometimes played in the n64 using pokemon stadium and the transfer pack to level up quickly. Once I got to Cerulean city, I did the "mew glitch" and got a level 7 Mew. Then continued "normally" and once I got into Fuchsia city, my pikachu got to level 50, so I wanted to compare that pikachu's stats, with the rental pikachu's stats (inside pokemon stadium). So then I realized there was this box full of pokemon I've never caught, and checked it and saw they were "glitched".

This is the way I did the Mew glitch (in yellow):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6hU-f_Q8Vk

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2010-10-26 02:10:27
Right i'm playing Red on my Super Gameboy and one of my glitches knows Super Glitch. I went to delete it after it learned Aurora Beam in battle, and then it asked if my character (of course at this time the glitch changed my name, not the normal ZZZ glitch, but random pixels and such) and then instead of Yes,No it said North,West. I don't remember seeing this text anywhere in the game… either that or my memory sucks right now. :\ Oh wait, was this the text in the Safari Zone? On the signs that read whatever part of the area you are in? Also, speaking of glitches I finally noted this one, the sound effect that plays when your Pokemon learns a new move sounds different in battle. Here's a link to a short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzmajebL3sI

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-10-26 08:28:11

Right i'm playing Red on my Super Gameboy and one of my glitches knows Super Glitch. I went to delete it after it learned Aurora Beam in battle, and then it asked if my character (of course at this time the glitch changed my name, not the normal ZZZ glitch, but random pixels and such) and then instead of Yes,No it said North,West. I don't remember seeing this text anywhere in the game… either that or my memory sucks right now. :\ Oh wait, was this the text in the Safari Zone? On the signs that read whatever part of the area you are in? Also, speaking of glitches I finally noted this one, the sound effect that plays when your Pokemon learns a new move sounds different in battle. Here's a link to a short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzmajebL3sI

NORTH/WEST were mentioned on our forums back in January 2008, and were also found by a coincidence with Super Glitch. http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,715.30.html. SOUTH and EAST appear in IIMarckus' R/B text dump too, though only the strings "NORTH" and "EAST" are used in the final game. "CENTER AREA NORTH: AREA 2", "AREA 3 EAST: CENTER AREA".

"South" is used in the Pokémon Mansion "South America", though it isn't in block letters; the same case is with "West", e.g. "PALLET TOWN is in the west!"

[img]http://glitchcity.info/wiki/images/a/a5/Directions.png[/img]

It's a little strange thinking back, why/how these are included/appear in a selection menu? I wonder if there are any other possibilities, with the exception of YES/NO, HEAL/CANCEL, (SOUTH/EAST?) etc.

Edit:

Also, speaking of glitches I finally noted this one, the sound effect that plays when your Pokemon learns a new move sounds different in battle. Here's a link to a short video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzmajebL3sI

Does the 'Beep' sound effect even exist Red/Blue? I was wondering whether it was only introduced in Yellow, so the 'noise' sound effect for overwriting a move would suffice (more of a problem of limited options for sound effects) until the introduced the 'Beep/Poof' sound in Yellow.

Never mind: 'Beep' does get used for overwriting a move outside of battle in Red/Blue. Nice find, it looks like they forgot to/couldn't add 'Beep' to the battle sound channel until Pokémon Yellow.

Date: 2010-10-30 16:46:06
Interesting… the NORTH/WEST thing of course. Also, the Silph P.C. glitch or "Different Glitch City" glitch also works in Blue/Red BTW. (The wiki says only Yellow, but I actually discovered it first in my Blue version 7 years ago and just did it in Yellow when I recorded/made screenshots.) Another thing worth noting, after running into normal Missingno. in Yellow (meaning a non-fossil one) I walked after saving and reseting and the Zero Error glitch was triggered so there's another way of getting this glitch to work. (I did this on my actual cartridge, so no video this time around. :\ I'll have to make it that far in one of my ROMs…) And finally, running into Missingno. or going to Glitch City not only messes with Pikachu, but sometimes can mess up the RAM data for the game play time. (It maxes it out to the highest value possible, 255:59.)

Posted by: MissingNO. #1 Master
Date: 2010-10-31 05:50:13
Uh… you ecountered a "normal" MissingNO. in Yellow WITHOUT the game crashing?

Date: 2010-10-31 19:06:55

Uh… you ecountered a "normal" MissingNO. in Yellow WITHOUT the game crashing?
Yep, it's possible but it's rare. I have a video on Youtube encountering it without the game crashing. You just have to be patient, eventually it'll work. ;) Also the Zero Error glitch doesn't occur all the time after encountering Missingno.

Posted by: Darkness_LordII
Date: 2010-11-01 05:41:14
Yes, it is possible to encounter yellow missingno without crashing. It has high chance to crash for unknown reason with the Mew Trick but not with the GameShark.

Yellow Missingno is as hard to fight as the Female Symbol and both produce similar glitches (Minus the famous glitch music that missingno don't do)

Date: 2010-11-01 16:56:50

Yes, it is possible to encounter yellow missingno without crashing. It has high chance to crash for unknown reason with the Mew Trick but not with the GameShark.

Yellow Missingno is as hard to fight as the Female Symbol and both produce similar glitches (Minus the famous glitch music that missingno don't do)
Ah yes the reason, Nintendo knew about Missingno. in Blue/Red and attempted to format the game in order for you not to encounter Missingno. correctly. I always thought that they stuck the data for Missingno. at the end of the game's ROM and it was just pointing to data that it couldn't find. :V As for the Gameshark, it points to that data in RAM and that's probably why you can encounter it. I haven't tried with my Gameshark, too afraid to lose my save. :C (Of course there's always VBA.)

Posted by: PokeWTrainer
Date: 2011-11-09 11:41:24
I'm trying to obtain PokeWTrainer (196 special for the mew trick, hex C4) on my Pokemon Blue, but each time I'm about to encounter it, the game freezes.  So far I have tried at least five or six times.

Bulbapedia says that PokeWTrainer only sometimes freezes the game, whereas TRsRockin implies that PokeWTrainer will consistently freeze the game.

Is it not possible to obtain PokeWTrainer through the mew trick, am I possibly something wrong, or do I simply have to keep trying until I eventually get lucky and encounter one without crashing, similar to yellow missingno?

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2011-11-09 12:12:01
I haven't did this yet, but I presume you'd just have to get X - x on Yellow and trade it to R/B. There's also the Johto Guard glitch, where you'd transfer a cloaked Typhlosion (Bulba only shows Typhlosion as equivalent to X - x, but I think it'd work for PokeWTainer since they have the same ID).

Also, I dunno if it has to do with VBA inaccurateness or something, but a long time ago I got PokeWTrainer by replacing one of my Pokémon (via Gameshark), but after I sent it out (iirc) the game froze.

And just to let you know, don't deposit it. If you do so, it'll become a Rhydon once you get it back (right?).

Posted by: PokeWTrainer
Date: 2011-11-09 14:06:27
Alright, thanks… darn, PokeWTrainer was the one I wanted most.  Does the freezing happen for the others in it's family (such as p T)?

Unfortunately, I don't have a Gen II game or a second gameboy, so I'm not able to do the Johto guard glitch…

(Also, I'm pretty sure the Rhydon thing occurs the first time you capture it; it will revert to a Rhydon when you look at it's pokedex entry, so you have to catch it twice.  At least, that was the case for A and a.)

EDIT:  Also, while I'm here, I may as well ask:  Is it true that .4 will cause save deletions?
Also, when a guide warns not to "save [a glitch] onto your game," does that mean don't save after encountering said glitch, or don't save while owning the said glitch pokemon (so that you could capture .4, release it, save, and be fine)?

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2011-11-09 14:27:09
I don't know, sorry. There are many Glitchmons I haven't touched yet. :P

About the EDIT: I don't know that too :(. I've caught .4 just once, and it was a long time (I was wanting to try the Super Glitch iirc). But my savefiles never got deleted by any glitch other than ZZAZZ, which is known for erasing savefiles (0 ERROR can damage routes permanently, though). But I don't really have gone deep with the Glitchmons, so I don't know the "risky" ones and most of their side effects. :/

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2011-11-09 15:27:33
I'm not sure about the save deletion thing, many people will deny it but I lost my save due to catching Missingno and 'M, but h Poké appears to cause no trouble other than Hall of Fame data.

I guess it depends on the Pokémon.