Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 15

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2013-02-06 19:48:18

That may just be based off what I named my character/rival, though. Would that change any of the effects?
…Never got said battle, but it did send me out in an imaginary door with a series of slowed battle cries. Got different cries depending on the item that I bought.

Nice little trick you discovered there.

Unlike the ZZAZZ glitch and others, I don't think name data has anything to do with glitch effects.  My name has always been "AAAAAAA" (a result of mashing the A button on the name select screen just to get through it!) and my effects have differed greatly.

About the imaginary door…I've gotten that too, if you're talking about the same thing.

At various points in the game, the glitches have gotten so severe that the game has warped me right out of some door in Vermilion City - except I walk the wrong way, and go on the roof.  For some reason the NPC sprites are in the wrong positions, and anything related to the S.S. Anne simply isn't there!  Walking too far in one direction (with walk-through-walls enabled) crashed the game.  It's a very, very strange effect and I have no clue what the root cause of it is.

An example of what I'm talking about, along with some music glitching, can be found in this video (even though I'm editing addresses and bytes other than 9F).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJuks9F5MPc

Date: 2013-02-06 22:36:12
Also, I just noticed something:

When ROM hacking in Blue, EVERY single Missingno. I've encountered has been an Aerodactyl Missingno.  I'm not exaggerating.  Must have something to do with the addresses I'm editing.

Or maybe the game knows that Aerodactyl Missingno. scares the shit out of me.  O_o

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-02-07 03:53:49
But your profile picture IS the Aerodectyl fossil!

Anyways here's my summary of all primary glitches produced by changing that byte, entering a wild battle in Route 1 and holding the A button through every dialogue until it starts glitching:

1. The game crashes after the first dialogue. (meh)

2. The wild Pokemon turns into a level 183 Aerodectyl Missingno. after some glitch effects, including some glitch sounds and throwing a Pokeball up to twice (first missed, second shake-and-miss). The battle continues with you vs the Missingno., except you can't select any of the 4 options, and every time you press A you attempt to run away but the game states that you're in a trainer battle. Usually one of the channels of the victory music plays during this 'battle'.

3. You send out your Pokemon successfully, except it becomes a Starmie with glitch name and is poisoned. When you press FIGHT, it states that it's burned immediately and its health drops to zero within a few minutes. You're then asked to switch Pokemon or run away, with an empty YES/NO box. Selecting YES the top option OR viewing the Pokemon party crashes the game shortly after. Selecting NO the other option OR attempting to run away sends you to what I call a wait-for-doom screen - the game crashes shortly after that as well.
(I just got a Paralysed Electabuzz knowing super glitch - but this should be rare)

4. [much less common] Similar to the first one, except this time the Pokedex entry of either Gastly or Missingno. is shown even if you've caught them before. After that, the battle continues with the respective Pokemon replacing the wild one. The HP bar is glitched (showing CLLLLLLLLLLLLE instead of the bar), it's paralysed, and you sprite is blank. Pressing A a few times will result in another glitch dialogue. Pressing A during one of them results in you attempting to catch the Pokemon and failing it, then crashing the game. (I got an op-code error)

5. The battle continues normally. Your Pokemon's name may have one character replaced by an exclamation mark, but that's not permanent. You may choose to fight or run.

5a. Fighting the Pokemon:
The fight is usually normal, but sometimes your Pokemon may use a move it doesn't have (like Pound for my Mew). In case you can end the battle without glitching the getting experience part, go to part 5b. Else, the game will crash/freeze with a unique screen.

5b. Running away:
Usually you're safe. Sometimes not.

You may be teleported to a glitched Celadon City upon exiting the battle screen. You may be stuck in a tree, on a rooftop, or even on the floor, surrounded by invisible blocks. The fly menu may register different cities from what you had (Cerulean City is usually not accessible). Teleporting brings you to The Glitch Cave. Dig/Escape Rope there brings you to another place in The Glitch Cave. You can't escape!

If not teleported away from Route 1, you may find the cycling music playing, even if you don't have a bike. You should then notice that your Pokedex is gone. No wild Pokemon will appear from now on, all trainers and items are reset, and there are two old men in Viridian City. There are different levels of glitchiness. The most severe one prevents you from going anywhere other than Pallet Town, Viridian City, Route 1 and 2 and the Diglett Cave, even with the walk-through-walls code.
Going to Route 22/Route 21/Route 3 crashes the game. Going to Pewter City makes you move in sloooooow motion before crashing. Going to Route 11 via Diglett Cave locks up the game. Flying locks up/crashes the game. Teleporting sends you to Glitch Cave.

You may go anywhere in a less glitchy version, except you can't get off the 'bike' anywhere (even going into a building), and so you can't surf. ("Cycling is fun! Forget SURFing!") Flying away gets rid of the problem, but the default flying location changes to map FE or another invalid map with a long name so you need to press B first. The fly-accessible list changes as well. The palette changes permanently to a shade of cyan after accessing the fly menu, and exiting from the menu locks up the game, so you must fly away. If you DO fly away, a hooked Tentacool of DOOM will start stalking you. Its first appearance is when you land at the destination. You can't FIGHT it or catch it and must run away. Every time you fly thereafter it appears again just after you select the destination. You land where you are after running from it, so you basically can't fly anymore. Encountering trainers except the ones in gyms locks up the game after the dialogue, but defeating E4 makes them normal again.

Oh I wrote too much! (But it's only from 2 videos, one of which I haven't uploaded yet)

A simple explanation for those glitches is that, a large part of VRAM is overwritten when you press A (or B) during dialogues, to a pattern of (22 C0 03 B7 1C F8 19 C0), repeated every 8 bytes, so it's kinda like the ZZAZZ glitch (overwriting 99 99 xx every 3 bytes). The Aerodectyl Missingno. is B7h, 183 is B7h, 'x' is B7h, '2' is C0h, Gastly is 19h, Earth Badge is 1Ch, Soul Badge is 19h, Water Stone is 22h, Glitch Cave (Seafoam Islands) is C0h. This can't explain the Starmie, Volcanobadge, Celadon City and Tentacool though.

N.B.1 I've never been warped to Vermilion. Instead I'm always warped to Celadon.
N.B.2 One time I used DIG from the glitch cave and ended up in Mr. Psychic's house. Guess what? It's B7h!
N.B.3 The overwritten bytes may affect the battle mode. That's probably why you can't fight the glitches.

Date: 2013-02-07 11:50:31
#1: Fairly common for me.
#2: Happens fairly regularly.  The inability to use any of the menu functions happens to me as well, but when you try to press something, the game displays a text box containing "N" (presumable short for "No! There's no running from a trainer battle!")
#3: Never had this happen.  I have had glitch text boxes containing "is frozen solid!" displayed right before attacks during battles.  The game tries to overwrite the text with "used (attack)!" but it only gets as far as "u", resulting in the text box saying "us frozen solid!"
#4: This is pretty uncommon for me as well.  Other glitch effects involve " 'CLLLLLLL(letter, usually M)", so it isn't unique to this glitch.  I think I made a post about that a while back, maybe on the old forum.
#5: Never had that exclamation point effect happen.

I think I meant Celadon instead of Vermilion.  I never finished R/B normally, so I don't remember the town names very well.  ;)

Date: 2013-02-07 21:52:22
I've covered the first 4 effects in my video, along with the warped to Celadon part.

The frozen solid box should be related to super glitch. Do you see TMTRAINER after that? (after changing the byte back to AF)

Date: 2013-02-07 23:05:02

The frozen solid box should be related to super glitch. Do you see TMTRAINER after that? (after changing the byte back to AF)

I…actually don't think I've ever encountered Super Glitch or TMTRAINER while editing that address.  At any rate, no glitch attacks have ever crashed the game when editing 3906.

I usually just change AF to 9F and don't change it back.

Date: 2013-02-08 13:26:28

2. The wild Pokemon turns into a level 183 Aerodectyl Missingno. after some glitch effects, including some glitch sounds and throwing a Pokeball up to twice (first missed, second shake-and-miss). The battle continues with you vs the Missingno., except you can't select any of the 4 options, and every time you press A you attempt to run away but the game states that you're in a trainer battle. Usually one of the channels of the victory music plays during this 'battle'.

As you saw in your video, the "x 2" effect, as I like to call it, is also prevalent.  Willis seems to have the first video of this effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eu1BwYZZcgo

Date: 2013-02-09 00:36:46
Those are precisely the (22 C0 03 B7 1C F8 19 C0) character pattern. Only 'x' and '2' are valid characters in the pattern.

Posted by: pokegirl4ever
Date: 2013-03-02 03:50:00
Hi there, I'm new to glitching and everything and I thought I'd share something here-sorry if this has been discovered but I've never seen it before and I thought it would be fun to bring up.

So I recently obtained Pokemon Red and decided to play through it using glitches just so I could mess around. I got to the end of the game quickly and decided to go catch the glitch Pokemon with the Ditto glitch. After catching .4 (I think it's called that-I obtained it at the special of 194). Noticing it's Nameless Glitch Move I decided to save it and play around with it. At first it always had no effect or would crash the game. But I discovered that when I checked its moves before going into battle the "glitch" would activate. If it works it has the same effect of super glitch after battle where multiple Pokemon evolve and your party has to many Pokemon etc.

This is where it got weird. Following from MissingNoXpert on Youtube, I tested it out in Rock Tunnel and ran into a Zubat, however instead of going to knock it out, it acted like a Ghost by telling me to "Get out, Get out" and .4 would be to scared to move. So by having no option, I ran away. Instead of being in Rock Tunnel though, I ended up in a glitched version of Pokemon Tower(I could tell it was here due to the music). This has happened 3 times out of about 5 when I battle Zubat and never with other Pokemon in Rock Tunnel. I've also tried having the Silph Scope on me however its never stopped the Ghost text. These are the notes I've noticed every time I use this glitch-

1. Due to the messed up map moving is only possible down however sometimes you will hit a wall. I've found this can be gotten round by opening and closing the start menu sometimes. When you go so far down the game with eventually crash.

2.You're inventory will become messed up-the first item for me is always 10F and everything else will always be random items and lots of j.'s.

3.You will run into Ghosts when moving around "Glitch Tower" (that's what I'm calling it) and your Pokemon sent out will be boosted to a high level and will be low on health.

Anyone else experienced this? And why is it only Zubats in Rock Tunnel (I assume it is because Rock Tunnel is near Pokemon Tower). Hope you found this interesting.

Date: 2013-03-02 05:19:55
1. Due to the messed up map moving is only possible down however sometimes you will hit a wall. I've found this can be gotten round by opening and closing the start menu sometimes. When you go so far down the game with eventually crash.

The bytes D35E-D35F was probably modified by the super glitch. They change the current map and current block (=group of 4 tiles) respectively.

2.You're inventory will become messed up-the first item for me is always 10F and everything else will always be random items and lots of j.'s

Super glitch is known for messing up inventories everything. j. is the HEX 00 item.

3.You will run into Ghosts when moving around "Glitch Tower" (that's what I'm calling it)

it acted like a Ghost by telling me to "Get out, Get out" and .4 would be to scared to move

I've also tried having the Silph Scope on me however its never stopped the Ghost text.

Since the current map was changed to Pokemon Tower, every wild Pokemon you encountered appeared as Ghost. (I think this is hardcoded there) Don't know about the Silph Scope part. Have you tried browsing one of your Pokemon's stat page and see what's the original Pokemon there?

Following from MissingNoXpert on Youtube, I tested it out in Rock Tunnel and ran into a Zubat

He did it using the glitch move learnt by Q on Yellow. Your move is probably different from it.

I assume it is because Rock Tunnel is near Pokemon Tower

No, this is irrelevant.

Posted by: Thanathan
Date: 2013-03-08 01:50:25
Uhm did you guys play with the MemoryViewer?

Well I have only on thing.

I was going to the League with a Team of only 'M an Missingno.

1. Fight against Lorelei.
For no reasons she send her Cloyster twice..
2. Battle end like always.
3. very long Blackscreen of epic Doom!
4. a Textbox apeared: "How dare you!" (Loreleis Text, when shes defeated)
5. Missingno. Lvl 100 begin to start a Battle. I can fight, but if I try to capture it, I can only choose the first Item.
6. I run  Away - Crash.

Can someone tell me what the heck Im doing!?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-03-09 07:11:53

Well I have only on thing.

I was going to the League with a Team of only 'M an Missingno.

1. Fight against Lorelei.
For no reasons she send her Cloyster twice..
2. Battle end like always.
3. very long Blackscreen of epic Doom!
4. a Textbox apeared: "How dare you!" (Loreleis Text, when shes defeated)
5. Missingno. Lvl 100 begin to start a Battle. I can fight, but if I try to capture it, I can only choose the first Item.
6. I run  Away - Crash.

Can someone tell me what the heck Im doing!?

That's strange. I tried using only 'M and Missingno. on English Red/Blue, but Lorelei sent out her Cloyster only once.

Are you able to replicate it? Which version are you using? Does Missingno./'M know any Super Glitch moves? (They can't normally, but the Yellow equivalent of 'M, 3TrainerPoké can)

Date: 2013-03-12 08:54:05
That was on my Blue Rom. I suppose one of my Missingno, knows the Cooltrainer Move…since he has no Attacks.
And that was yeeears ago. I can try to redo it but I know that I treyed it a lot this day but it never happend again.
I will try an tell if it worket, an if it dies I will film it.

Edit: Missningo is now lvl100 an if i use the Move it claims that it is used 'Trainer or Rocket'
Can I use this Pokemon for Glitching? D:

Date: 2013-03-12 10:37:37
It seems to be really the – move. But the question is, how did the Missingno. get it?

Date: 2013-03-12 10:49:55
I think its because it has no attacks…