Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 29

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: Nostalgia
Date: 2017-02-21 06:29:26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR5rov2e6PU&t=402s

So this is a very helpful video I've used many times to get Max stat Pokemon on Yellow with Ws M. But I wondered is there anyway to change the attack and defense DV to 13, but keep 15 in the other stats still? A 13 attack and defense DV give a max power Hidden Power Bug in the generation II games so I was just wondering if it's possible to manipulate this to get a specific Hidden Power.

Posted by: jaybug_jimmies
Date: 2017-04-16 01:16:58
Hi folks
I have always been curious what this site http://hakuda2.web.fc2.com/wario/poke3/f3.html
actually said. All I knew is that it was pointing out the locations of some 0x50 map tiles. A really nice friend offered to translate it. However, they don't know anything about pokemon glitching, so they lack some context. I've been trying to answer their questions, but honestly I'm confused by some things.

Here is a photo of their current attempts at translation:

http://imgur.com/a/8R0JK

The reference to a "summoning call" is mysterious to me. What glitch exploit involving 0x50 map tiles would involve using a "summoning call"? Doesn't sound like traditional Cooltrainer exploit, sounds like something that forces a pokemon encounter? Wait . . . is it LOL glitch maybe? I am not very familiar with that one.

My friend was also confuzzled about something that translated to 'map chips.' and 'mass.' I thought chips was referring to map tiles but it may not be, looking at how the word is being used in the paragraph. I dunno.

Any ideas or insights would be awesome!

EDIT: Aahaaaa Ok I found the section in this site on LOLglitch. This is definitely referring to that glitch. So that particular piece is cleared up at least.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-04-16 05:48:10
Thanks for sharing this translation jaybug_jimmies!

Yeah, 'map chip' is probably referring to a sub-tile.

In the Japanese versions, there is a simpler glitch than LOL glitch where 0x50 sub-tiles are relevant which allows you to summon a Pokémon battle without having to partially escape from battle.

In the English versions the glitch isn't that useful because the tile controlling D059 in the English versions is a menu tile; which would always result in a battle with Metapod.

Posted by: jaybug_jimmies
Date: 2017-04-18 23:34:58
Thank you Torchickens for pointing me to the right glitch! This helps enormously. Things make so much more sense now, and my friend is having a much easier time translating. I'll share the results when complete. :)

Posted by: pikachubros2012
Date: 2017-04-24 13:11:02

In blue, I tried doing the 'M glitch, I eventually got it, but I got some weird encounters before actually getting Missingno.
Like a level 160 Rattatta
PROFESSOR OAK(!)
And Mewtwo.
By the way.
'M sounds like Zapdos on crack.
:P

What was your Trainer name?

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2017-04-25 13:11:24

Thanks for sharing this translation jaybug_jimmies!

Yeah, 'map chip' is probably referring to a sub-tile.

In the Japanese versions, there is a simpler glitch than LOL glitch where 0x50 sub-tiles are relevant which allows you to summon a Pokémon battle without having to partially escape from battle.

In the English versions the glitch isn't that useful because the tile controlling D059 in the English versions is a menu tile; which would always result in a battle with Metapod.
…so that's why the Hooked Metapod battles are a thing? Huh. Neat.

Posted by: shatteredClockworks
Date: 2017-05-08 07:19:54

Yep, Yellow MissingNo. does exist. It usually freezes the game, though. The picture on GCL's "Under Construction" page is an example of this. Sometimes, however, the freezing doesn't occur and you can catch it, but I have yet to actually capture it because I used my Master Ball on Yellow before I found out about Yellow MissingNo., so I can't multiply my Master Ball… :(
Oh, here's the picture: [img]http://glitchcity.ath.cx/images/mn-appears.png[/img]
I remember a fair amount of time ago I was playing Pokemon red [VC] (Yes this still is a thing in the port) with a newly caught Missingno (Glitch missingno, not fossil or ghost) and I decided to battle an (old) friend of mine. He sends out a Dratini and I send out my Missingno., and when it appeared on the screen for him, it looked exactly like yellow missingno.. And of course, I crashed the shit out of his game.

good times.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2017-05-08 09:11:37

Yep, Yellow MissingNo. does exist. It usually freezes the game, though. The picture on GCL's "Under Construction" page is an example of this. Sometimes, however, the freezing doesn't occur and you can catch it, but I have yet to actually capture it because I used my Master Ball on Yellow before I found out about Yellow MissingNo., so I can't multiply my Master Ball… :(
Oh, here's the picture: [img]http://glitchcity.ath.cx/images/mn-appears.png[/img]
I remember a fair amount of time ago I was playing Pokemon red [VC] (Yes this still is a thing in the port) with a newly caught Missingno (Glitch missingno, not fossil or ghost) and I decided to battle an (old) friend of mine. He sends out a Dratini and I send out my Missingno., and when it appeared on the screen for him, it looked exactly like yellow missingno.. And of course, I crashed the s**t out of his game.

good times.

When you battle with Red/Blue against Yellow, the glitch Pokémon that appear are the equivalent glitch Pokémon. All regular Red/Blue MissingNo. are regular Yellow MissingNo. in Yellow as both share the same IDs, so this is not surprising.

Interesting thing to do though now that you mention it, as Red/Blue MissingNo. is a lot easier to obtain than Yellow MissingNo. and if Yellow MissingNo. doesn't freeze (e.g. possibly if it's the first time Yellow has ever seen a glitch Pokémon and the data was erased with Up+Select+B) I wonder what could happen.

Edit: I tried it and unfortunately nothing too unusual happened other than a misaligned player sprite, which is an expected behaviour.

Posted by: Ryccardo
Date: 2017-07-13 16:46:49
Has anyone ever explained why battling 'M (and others) causes the infamous "battle graphics are cut into stripes and said stripes flipped and swapped"?

What about permanently making a route laggy/outright crashing if the Trainer-Fly glitch is performed, the game is saved (by changing boxes) and reloaded, then the 2nd trainer is picked from the same route?

Posted by: Caveat
Date: 2017-07-13 17:58:56

Has anyone ever explained why battling 'M (and others) causes the infamous "battle graphics are cut into stripes and said stripes flipped and swapped"?

What about permanently making a route laggy/outright crashing if the Trainer-Fly glitch is performed, the game is saved (by changing boxes) and reloaded, then the 2nd trainer is picked from the same route?

1. I believe it's because its sprites are too large. Same reason why it corrupts the Hall of Fame.
2. The glitch occurs because the game advances the map script after the battle, causing it to read invalid flags. This causes it to try and start a battle EVERY. SINGLE. TIME you take a step.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2017-07-13 18:25:35

1. I believe it's because its sprites are too large. Same reason why it corrupts the Hall of Fame.
2. The glitch occurs because the game advances the map script after the battle, causing it to read invalid flags. This causes it to try and start a battle EVERY. SINGLE. TIME you take a step.

I can't exactly remember why, but sprites large enough will corrupt a flag that's normally only set by the Pokédex. You see, when looking at an entry in the Pokédex, the sprite is facing the opposing direction as in battle. Thus, the game has to both write the tiles flipped, but also it has to flip the order in which tiles are displayed.
However, battle animations assume this flag is reset, and put the tiles back in the "normal" order - though tiles are still flipped, hence the broken graphics.

The game does try to start a battle on every frame (even worse than every step : try opening your START menu… lol), and this makes it try to display a text box (hence disappearing sprites and, I think, random sounds).

Posted by: DoubleNegative
Date: 2017-09-24 13:50:14
What happens to the type bytes when glitch pokemon evolve? If I make a (E2) / squirtle hybrid evolve into missingno, does it keep the water type, or does it become normal & bird?

Posted by: GlitchedPokemonStudent
Date: 2018-09-09 18:13:38
[img]https://i.imgur.com/DEM2FBG.png[/img]

It happened two days ago, the first time of viewing glitch Pokemon $D9 in stats with the $CF90 code.

I never laughed so hard in a long time. I found that very funny.

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2018-09-10 02:26:49
Lovely Low Kick

[img]https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/HDcSFbR.png[/img]

Posted by: GlitchedPokemonStudent
Date: 2018-09-16 11:47:17
I was randomly watching one of Gonzy's Gen 1 Pokemon videos. I seen him try to deposit a level 0 Pokemon, but something more than a freeze happened:
https://youtu.be/QudetdmpoVE?t=14

I wonder if he actually somehow got the game to not freeze by chance, if this can also happen on a regular game?