Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 26

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: Quibz
Date: 2015-03-15 14:58:59

I think I might have found a new glitch. It's a lot like the 0 error glitch, but there are some differences, and it happens on a different route. I looked all over the internet and couldn't find any mention of it. Does anyone know where the right place is to report a glitch, or if this is the place, how to make it more well known?

We used to have a "submit a glitch" board, but it became obsolete after the wiki was set up. What happens in this glitch? You can make an article for it on the wiki if you like and I'll see if we already have it.

If you return to the same route you flew away from a Trainer without battling another, then battle a Trainer on that route you can cause some instability like walking lag/sound effects playing as you walk.

There are various glitch text boxes you can get by talking to a certain person, sign, etc. (instead of leaving the last text box as the start menu) before returning to the route after setting up a Trainer-Fly and battling another Trainer.

With the "Trick Zone" effect you can turn Trainer sprites into glitchy things.

Pretty much everything you described happens except the "Trick Zone". Battling different trainers before doing the glitch sometimes makes it not work, sort of like those two trainers in the 0 error glitch, except different trainers change disable different people/signs. For example, if you battle the gambler below the underground tunnel and do the long range trainer thing with the guy to his left, talking to the person below the volunteer house won't activate the glitch. (BTW, the glitch happens on route 8, the one to the west of Lavender town. Forgot to include that the first time.)

As for what happens, it's mostly the same as 0 error, but there are small variations based on which NPC you talk to or which sign you read. The music always gets messed up, and you slow down a lot, eventually just getting stuck in place. Most of the time, you can't open your start menu, and when you can, the text box opens, but it's blank instead of saying "0 error". When you cut a tree down, it starts playing weird music that I don't think was in the original game. Maybe it was cut out but left in the programming, like the Oak battle? I don't know. Anyway, the glitch does nothing in battle, but gets re-activated once you leave battle. You get frozen in place if an unbattled trainer sees you, so you have to find a wild battle. Also, if you leave the route, everything goes back to normal, but then it reactivates once you go back on the route.

Also, depending on who you talk to, the effects of the glitch vary. They're mostly the same, but these are the highlights I think you should try if you get the chance.

1: Reading the book in the volunteer house will give you a fight with a girl with 3 meowths. After the battle is over, everything will be glitchy at first, but then the music will stop and you'll be able to move unrestricted. You'll also be able to open the start menu. But be careful, you'll still get stuck in place if an unbattled trainer sees you.

2: Looking at any map on the wall of a house (not the town map) will give you about 2 minutes of weird glitch symbols and sound effects, sort of like when you heal at the purified and protected zone during super glitch. Then, oddly enough, a completely normal battle happens and the glitch is not activated. Once the glitch symbols and sounds stop, everything continues as if they hadn't happened.

3: If you examine the merchandise in the poke mart, the ones that say, "Wow! Tons of pokemon stuff!" A bunch of glitch text will appear, but it will be almost all numbers with a few map tiles. After that, it will start a battle with a level 255 rhydon. Yeah… I have no idea why. It seems like too much to be a coincidence that it's the highest possible level and index number one, but I can't think of any reasons why that would happen.

Posted by: GenerationBroadcast
Date: 2015-03-18 09:43:40
I've been experimenting with – and I've discovered some odd stuff that could possibly just be my Blue cartridge.
In the areas where it usually crashes after activating the TMTRAINER effect, well, it crashes. Nothing new. However, when I tested it in Diglett's Cave, after the effect happened, none of the typical oddness from it appeared. No glitched player name, no broken Pokemon menu, no field corruptions. This may just have relation to the fact I messed with sound by encountering Champion Rival on the Cinnabar coast, though.
I have observed a possible second effect. Instead of TMTRAINER, the screen not occupied by text boxes fills with the player's name and it reports the opponent as poisoned. Then the game crashes.
Also, it seems that, at least for me, the TMTRAINER effect, when using –, activates when the type of the move changes to a mixture of glitch blocks and 9s, and is most easily activated by viewing the stats of another party Pokemon with at least 3 moves, which lets you select the first –, Transform (which is still displayed as –), and any following –s.

These are my observations. I'll see if I can discover anything else that happens and if I can get the move to let me return to the overworld outside a cave.

EDIT: Oh, and speaking of fighting Champion Rival off the coast using the Old Man Glitch, the part of my name that caused that is /, with the being in an even spot and / being in an odd. Oddly, the first time around, his team was different, starting with a Starmie then an A (EA), both at level 62. I didn't get a chance to see what was next since A used what I assume to be Super Glitch. After rebooting, the roster changed, starting with an 8, then a Glitch Nidorino, then a Missingno., then a PkMn n, then a Flareon, then finally another Glitch Nidorino. This roster is all at Level 32. I don't know exactly what caused the change, but I assume it was Super Glitch.

Posted by: Pal
Date: 2015-03-18 18:15:56
Hey guys new here and I need some help regarding Dry Underflow in Pokemon Yellow. So I've been trying to set it up and I've been using the same set-up as here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8XmgPTs6mw and I can get the underflow to happen fine, however when I do start scrolling down I don't actually get to any of the memory addresses because the game just freezes once the item that like changes the sprites around the menu flashes.

I don't exactly know what my problem could be, but I'm fairly sure it's the emulator I'm using, which is Gambatte. Or it could be the ROM I'm using. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

Date: 2015-03-19 18:37:08
While a lot of what I'm finding probably has been already, it is good to note that I managed to avoid a crash after activating TMTRAINER using – in Route 1 by using an Ultra Ball to catch the corrupted Pokemon instead of waiting for it to faint. Other locations act differently. The route that branches out of the left of Viridian has a tendency to crash when opening the attack menu without opening Items in-battle, and it still might crash. Other routes just crash after the battle ends.
I also seem to only get it to happen rarely without "unlocking" the other 3 move slots by viewing the stats of another party member with 4 moves. Usually, I do this with my Nidoqueen, who I got through the trainer-escape glitch.
My observations show that TMTRAINER almost always occurs once the type changes from Cooltrainer female to something else, often something with lots of 9's or a blank space. Otherwise, nothing happens.

I'm going to check our page on the glitch and see if what I've found is unreported, and if it is, I'm adding it. If it isn't, I'll keep trying to discover things.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-03-20 15:03:19

Hey guys new here and I need some help regarding Dry Underflow in Pokemon Yellow. So I've been trying to set it up and I've been using the same set-up as here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8XmgPTs6mw and I can get the underflow to happen fine, however when I do start scrolling down I don't actually get to any of the memory addresses because the game just freezes once the item that like changes the sprites around the menu flashes.

I don't exactly know what my problem could be, but I'm fairly sure it's the emulator I'm using, which is Gambatte. Or it could be the ROM I'm using. If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

It probably isn't an emulation error or a bad ROM (I've personally never experienced something where the latter is the case). Try pressing B a few times until the 'V' arrow starts flashing. While doing this, it may be a good idea to hold down a button on the d-pad. With items such as hex:83, something about them (probably their long name) causes a problem where you can't scroll through the menu without doing the steps above.

I've been experimenting with – and I've discovered some odd stuff that could possibly just be my Blue cartridge.
In the areas where it usually crashes after activating the TMTRAINER effect, well, it crashes. Nothing new. However, when I tested it in Diglett's Cave, after the effect happened, none of the typical oddness from it appeared. No glitched player name, no broken Pokemon menu, no field corruptions. This may just have relation to the fact I messed with sound by encountering Champion Rival on the Cinnabar coast, though.
I have observed a possible second effect. Instead of TMTRAINER, the screen not occupied by text boxes fills with the player's name and it reports the opponent as poisoned. Then the game crashes.
Also, it seems that, at least for me, the TMTRAINER effect, when using –, activates when the type of the move changes to a mixture of glitch blocks and 9s, and is most easily activated by viewing the stats of another party Pokemon with at least 3 moves, which lets you select the first –, Transform (which is still displayed as –), and any following –s.

These are my observations. I'll see if I can discover anything else that happens and if I can get the move to let me return to the overworld outside a cave.

EDIT: Oh, and speaking of fighting Champion Rival off the coast using the Old Man Glitch, the part of my name that caused that is /, with the being in an even spot and / being in an odd. Oddly, the first time around, his team was different, starting with a Starmie then an A (EA), both at level 62. I didn't get a chance to see what was next since A used what I assume to be Super Glitch. After rebooting, the roster changed, starting with an 8, then a Glitch Nidorino, then a Missingno., then a PkMn n, then a Flareon, then finally another Glitch Nidorino. This roster is all at Level 32. I don't know exactly what caused the change, but I assume it was Super Glitch.

Not sure if you are aware, but the effects of CoolTrainer and Super Glitch rely on the screen data after you open the Pokémon menu, item menu, etc.

In Pokémon Yellow the screen data is updated automatically in battle too. Basically, the name of the glitch moves are cut to 20 bytes long when they are stored at a buffer at $CD6D. But there may not be a hex:50 in the twenty bytes (due to the name of the glitch move being too long). This means data past $CD6D+decimal:19 is copied to bytes at $CF4B and/or $D0E1 onward.

This data begins with a copy of the screen tiles that is updated when you open the Pokémon menu, the items menu, etc. So the Super Glitch/CoolTrainer corruption when it occurs simply depends on this screen data and the data that follows.

In Red/Blue, you can do special CoolTrainer tricks as you have probably seen in TheZZAZZGlitch's video etc. by opening a menu before viewing the CoolTrainer move and opening no more relevant menus. If there is a hex:50 in the screen data (one of these tiles); it tells the game to corrupt no data after it, and you need a 50 somewhere so that the game doesn't copy too much data and freeze.

If you are referring to the freeze after ending the battle (which you will also see with "wild appeared" with 220+ Pokémon), it is caused by the corruption of CFC4 when it becomes an odd value. It is already known that Diglett's Cave prevents a freeze even when CFC4 is odd, but I'm unsure why this is.

Additionally, in Pokémon Yellow there are no freezes after battle even when CFC4 (or is it CFC3? is odd) regardless of whether you are in Diglett's Cave or not. However, it's unfortunate that the cached screen data in Pokémon Yellow is updated when you enter battle (and you don't have to open the Pokémon menu there) as this means you cannot do TheZZAZZGlitch's trick.

For the CoolTrainer move to actually corrupt your name, the source of the corruption would have to be data located past the end of the screen at $CEE8 (it is the 360th screen tile). Most Super Glitch moves corrupt data from $CF4B and $D0E1 onward, however, CoolTrainer can only corrupt the data from $CF4B onward. So while corruption of your name is common with Super Glitch moves other than CoolTrainer, I don't know if it's possible with CoolTrainer.

I don't think that you having messed with the sound is relevant to CoolTrainer corruption.

Yeah, I have also noticed these things. Maybe the type changing is a result of the corruption of one of the bytes from CF4B+. Thanks for sharing it with the others.

This reminds me of how your name gets copied into the screen during (at least the original) double distort CoolTrainer glitch. It is probably caused by one of the tiles on the screen being a $52, because that is a control character that displays the player's name. Maybe you were in a grassy area (grass is a $52 tile) and opened a menu there before activating the corruption? Though a $52 from a different tileset whatever it looks like may cause it too, or I may be wrong.

The opponent getting a status effect is common. The freeze interests me because from how you describe it, it didn't seem to be an immediate 'blue bar freeze'.

Super Glitch may not be responsible for the change in teams. If it was (via long name glitch item) you may have noticed that an 'automatic press A effect' occurs due to D05A most likely being written with a non-00 value. You can change the team of an old man glitch Trainer simply by battling a real Trainer before the old man glitch Trainer, because the roster depends on D05D (Trainer roster number for a Trainer class; but Trainers fought via the old man glitch do not use normal rosters) which is not reset to 00 after battle. If you save and reset it will become 00 though even if it wasn't in your previous session.

Keep up the good research GenerationBroadcast. :)

Date: 2015-03-20 18:11:08
Thank you! Something I knew would eventually happen finally has - my Blue seems to be ineligible for using –, since it seems its effects only have a reasonable chance of occurring if I open the Pokemon menu in-battle. I will use my Red for continued research on –'s possible effects. The fact that glitch trainer rosters change after battling another trainer slipped my mind, so I will do more with that.

Speaking of glitch items, I've been using an emulator and a Red ROM, along with VBA's memory viewer, to explore them. I found a large volume that, when used on Route 1, initiate a battle against a hooked Metapod that is treated somewhat like if you were in the Safari Zone. In cities it seems to crash, most likely due to a lack of wild Pokemon in grass. Another item whose internal identifier slips my mind at the moment throws a Poke Ball at something but always falls short of catching it. This seems to apply to battles as well as the overworld.

Posted by: Pal
Date: 2015-03-21 07:37:40

It probably isn't an emulation error or a bad ROM (I've personally never experienced something where the latter is the case). Try pressing B a few times until the 'V' arrow starts flashing. While doing this, it may be a good idea to hold down a button on the d-pad. With items such as hex:83, something about them (probably their long name) causes a problem where you can't scroll through the menu without doing the steps above.

Oh I had to use the fast scroll to get through the menu, thank you very much Torchickens. Also thank you for the youtube videos they've helped immensely :)

EDIT: Finally got my ws m item using TheZZAZZGlitch's Celadon method :)

Date: 2015-03-23 15:25:23

Oh I had to use the fast scroll to get through the menu, thank you very much Torchickens. Also thank you for the youtube videos they've helped immensely :)

EDIT: Finally got my ws m item using TheZZAZZGlitch's Celadon method :)

Glad I was able to help Pal. You're welcome, I will continue to upload more videos about glitches.

Speaking of glitch items, I've been using an emulator and a Red ROM, along with VBA's memory viewer, to explore them. I found a large volume that, when used on Route 1, initiate a battle against a hooked Metapod that is treated somewhat like if you were in the Safari Zone. In cities it seems to crash, most likely due to a lack of wild Pokemon in grass. Another item whose internal identifier slips my mind at the moment throws a Poke Ball at something but always falls short of catching it. This seems to apply to battles as well as the overworld.

These are glitch items that have an internal name of over 20 characters long without a 50. I call them Super Glitch items. Luckytyphlosion calls them TMTRAINER items. It isn't using the item that causes the behaviour but selecting it.

They actually work in the same way as CoolTrainer (a copy of the data from CD6D to CF4B) at least from out of battle, but different effects will happen because you are outside of battle. If you track the address CFD8 (enemy Pokémon) you can notice it change.

If you try using a PP Up on the CoolTrainer move from out of battle in the same position, you can corrupt D058 too. However, after I try to use the PP Up the screen turns white and I don't know if you can continue.

Note: Something I do not understand is why the long name glitch item effect tends to 'always(?)' freeze the game in battle in Pokémon Yellow (in Pokémon Red/Blue you can get the TMTRAINER effect by selecting it in battle).

The hooked Metapod is caused when D059/8 is written as 7C (instant encounter=Metapod) and D05F/E is written as a non 00 value (enemy Pokémon is hooked). The weird battle style is caused when D05A/9 is written as 7F.

Unlike Japanese versions, you cannot get Pokémon other than Metapod.

In Japanese versions, the tile responsible for the ID of Pokemon found during this glitch seems to be here:
[img]http://i.minus.com/iMhudEXQxBnEX.png[/img]

In international releases the memory layout has changed and instead, the tile is located here:
[img]http://i.minus.com/itiyRipQyWvC9.png[/img]

In English versions the relevant tile happens to be constant - it's always the vertical textbox border tile ($7C). So no matter the location, the hooked Metapod will always appear.

Unless you perform the out of battle capture glitch ("LOL glitch") or theoretically have very specific screen data that makes the game think you are in battle (D057/6=01), you cannot capture the Pokémon dictated by CFD8/7 from a long name glitch item because D057/6 won't be corrupted to a value that says you are in a wild Pokémon battle.

If you track D059/8 (give an instant encounter) after viewing the CoolTrainer move from within battle with certain screen data then it may change. However, you are already in a battle and exiting the battle will reset D059/8 to 00 so it may not matter.

Posted by: bbbbbbbbba
Date: 2015-04-30 10:55:49
Just my two cents…

When you cut a tree down, it starts playing weird music that I don't think was in the original game. Maybe it was cut out but left in the programming, like the Oak battle? I don't know.

Or maybe the game interprets some other data as music data…

Also, if you leave the route, everything goes back to normal, but then it reactivates once you go back on the route.

The game has a separate script pointer for each route, which is why things may go unstable only in one route.

If you examine the merchandise in the poke mart, the ones that say, "Wow! Tons of pokemon stuff!" A bunch of glitch text will appear, but it will be almost all numbers with a few map tiles. After that, it will start a battle with a level 255 rhydon. Yeah… I have no idea why. It seems like too much to be a coincidence that it's the highest possible level and index number one, but I can't think of any reasons why that would happen.

The game has a lot of FF's and 01's lying everywhere in the data. Pretty much every glitch team is some other data interpreted as team data, so yes, this is probably not a coincidence.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2015-06-10 10:41:35

I've got that problem in Celadon City on a real cartridge. It happened only depending on my position (I think the item name corrupts something…)

Posted by: camper
Date: 2015-09-11 00:41:09
I just found out that the Pewter Museum guy is gone after he's being used to replaced the trainer encounter needed for the Trainer-Escape glitch. Why did that happen and is there a way to get him back?

Posted by: The G-Meister
Date: 2015-09-14 14:42:33
Found a small, miscellaneous quirk the other day. I assume it's been found before, and it's so small and unimportant it's not even worth searching for anywhere.

I was playing on Yellow, and it seems if the player walks directly down onto a doormat and immediately holds another directional button as soon as they start walking (as if to avoid walking out of the door), they still walk out the door.

Posted by: The G-Meister
Date: 2015-09-22 11:18:28
Um, so I was going through and catching a bunch of glitch Pokémon on Yellow (using ACE to change the ID in battle, so I could catch the ones that normally pop up as trainers), and I saw that some of them counted as catching other Pokémon, namely a Bulbasaur, a Snorlax and an Oddish.

Has this been found before? And if it has, have all such Pokémon been documented?

If not, is this a viable speedrun technique?

Date: 2015-09-22 18:23:50

Um, so I was going through and catching a bunch of glitch Pokémon on Yellow (using ACE to change the ID in battle, so I could catch the ones that normally pop up as trainers), and I saw that some of them counted as catching other Pokémon, namely a Bulbasaur, a Snorlax and an Oddish.

Has this been found before? And if it has, have all such Pokémon been documented?

I think you may have captured some hybrid Pokémon. Hybrid glitch Pokémon have been known before, but I'm unsure if anyone has pointed out that they register their respective Pokémon before.

If you capture a hybrid glitch Pokémon (a Pokémon that shares the same Pokédex number of a valid Pokémon 1-151), then the game will register the Pokédex entry of what the glitch Pokémon is a hybrid of; even though the Pokédex entry that loads after catching the glitch Pokémon is likely to be different.

The GlitchDex has a list of Pokémon by Pokédex number (which you can use to check what glitch Pokémon will register which normal Pokémon if you know what the Pokédex number represents). According to the GlitchDex, the available Pokémon are:

Red/Blue:
Charizard (FF)
Beedrill (CF)
Pidgeotto (CB, DC)
Pidgeot (F7)
Rattata (F8)
Arbok (CE)
Raichu (F3)
Nidorino (FA)
Wigglytuff (F6)
Mankey (CC)
Poliwhirl (C0, D7)
Poliwrath (C6, D1)
Tentacruel (DD)
Slowpoke (FE)
Magnemite (CD, DE, FC)
Dodrio (E0, EB)
Gengar (C3, D4)
Onix (C9, DA, FB)
Jolteon (FD)

Yellow:
Bulbasaur (D5, F7)
Charmander (D6)
Charizard (C7, F0)
Blastoise (CC, CD, CE, CF)
Metapod (FE)
Beedrill (C3)
Pidgey (D7)
Pidgeotto (EC, F4)
Pidgeot (FB)
Sandshrew (FD)
Nidorino (C9, D2, E9, F1)
Wigglytuff (EF)
Oddish (FC)
Persian (E5)
Golduck (C5)
Poliwrath (DF)
Slowpoke (C6)
Slowbro (C0)
Magnemite (CB)
Doduo (D1)
Haunter (D0)
Onix (DA)
Seaking (E8)
Starmie (FF)
Magmar (FA)
Pinsir (F2)
Tauros (D3)
Snorlax (D4, EA, F5)
Articuno (F8)

This page also has a list which is incomplete, so I'll edit it to add the omissions tomorrow.

I unfortunately do not know which of these glitch Pokémon's Pokédex entries you cannot exit, if any.

Additionally, when you capture (not encounter) glitch Pokémon with Pokédex numbers greater than 151 (000 is applicable as it counts as 256), the game will set a valid Pokémon as seen, ranging from Bulbasaur (if the glitch Pokémon has a Pokédex number of 153) to Cubone (if the glitch Pokémon has a Pokédex number 000).

It continues in this pattern: capturing 153 - set Bulbasaur, capturing 154 - set Ivysaur, capturing 155 - set Venusaur, etc.

In actuality, no glitch Pokémon cover all Pokédex numbers 153 to 256 (000); so for instance, there are no glitch Pokémon with Pokédex numbers 154 to see Ivysaur, but in Yellow, capturing 3TrainerPoké $ (number 176) allows us to mark Arbok as seen.

A list of the effects of 152+ glitch Pokémon capture flags can be found here.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9dex_flags#Capture_flags

If not, is this a viable speedrun technique?

That would be interesting. If speedrunners don't mind about catching a glitch Pokémon to mark a real Pokémon as owned, can pull off some steps to get the glitch Pokémon faster than a real Pokémon (and avoid possible long Pokédex entries), then I think it may be worth it. Except, I feel I would personally prefer them to catch the actual Pokémon.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2015-09-23 01:28:23
Long (and never-ending) Pokedex entries are really rare, at least in Red/Blue. Most of them are completely empty.