Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 33

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-03-10 15:42:49
Welcome to GCLF!!

D185 is one of the two bytes for your lead Pokémon's DVs as far as I remember, so are you sure it was that that caused your file to erase? Did the game crash and reset immediately afterward? I'm not sure what it might have been unless you wrote to somewhere different, maybe by accident.

However,
All I need is a Pokemon with a special of 182-4 Cinnabar and Celadon access

Brock through walls to Saffron, heal at the Center, get Abra at the Game Corner, Teleport, then do the Escape glitch with the Bug Catcher in the route below and the Blackbelt with the Machop to encounter MissingNo. to clone items for dry underflow, and from there entering a building and changing D364 should let you warp to anywhere. Don't know the exact map numbers you'd need offhand, but I think this would take care of what you need without having to set up an ACE bootstrap from a New Game.

Posted by: BluPika
Date: 2019-03-11 11:51:43
Yeah, I probably just wrote to the wrong address. I started out real careful, checking my codes, but after realizing I could abuse ws**m* to do whatever I wanted I got a bit excited and a bit reckless. My screen filled with glitch textures, and I immediately reset. I came back to "New Game" and nothing else. That's why I said it went up in smoke. No error message or 'this save is corrupted' or anything like that. After the reset, it was like the save had never existed. I've messed up save files before by resetting while saving, and I always get an error message. Thanks for the advice, I can get this save up and running in no time. Okay, so dry underflow. I know how to set it up, and the basics of what is possible. A few questions. How can I keep track of my place in the menu? D364 is decently far down. If there is <100 items in a stack, can I still toss it up to 255? If not, I would have to find a room with a >99 address. Is there a practical way to go up and edit the lower addresses? Thanks a lot for your help.  :)

Date: 2019-03-11 14:36:48
It might be a good idea to back up your save, if you can. Even when using ws m carefully, there's the chance something might go wrong by accident when trying out a lot of different things.

As for your questions, the best way to keep track of where you are in the menu is by counting, generally, as the items and quantities will change as their corresponding addresses do. However, there are some usual "tells", such as item 32 usually being an Ultra Ball, or Old Amber if not that. 27 and 28 should be .j items if you haven't swapped anything to there, and 29 should too if you skipped Brock. You're looking for item 36 (the quantity specifically), so that would be four spaces down, usually a Master Ball.

You can't toss or sell more items in a stack than there are, so if there aren't 0 items in a stack, you can't toss 255 of them. You could switch a .j x0 to there from a safe address to get to any map ID, but you just need 8 for Cinnabar Island. Not sure exactly what you mean by going up to edit the lower addresses; you can make sure you know what they are by naming your rival, though, if I understand your question correctly.

I might have to test this to be sure, as I haven't worked with this in a while.

Posted by: BluPika
Date: 2019-03-11 14:56:36
I mean, like, as you go down you are viewing increased addresses, as the current slot increases past 20, I'm wondering if you can decrease it past 0 to edit higher addresses. As for the 255 thing, I just stupidly thought that you could always toss glitch stacks up to 255.

Just edited to add this. Where can I find a database for characters (a, b, A, B, pk, mn, etc.) sorted by index number? I checked the Glitch City database and couldn't find it.

Date: 2019-03-11 20:49:59
Oh, like looping back around to something before the first item? Unfortunately the item pack is limited to 128 spots, so it can only do so much. We have ACE to edit other addresses, luckily.

As for text character values and correspondences, that's all in The Big List.

I can't do this right now (was going to use it to verify what I suggested), but I'd recommend testing whatever you plan to do with the debug patch for Yellow first, just in case things don't go as planned again.

Posted by: Areadien
Date: 2019-03-12 20:00:27
OK, so, I'm trying to do the flawless level 100 Pokémon, but I'm not sure exactly what I need. I already have 8F, so that's not an issue. I've looked at tons of YouTube videos, but none of them have written instructions saying the precise necessities. So what else do I need to do?

Date: 2019-03-14 09:50:16

OK, so, I'm trying to do the flawless level 100 Pokémon, but I'm not sure exactly what I need. I already have 8F, so that's not an issue. I've looked at tons of YouTube videos, but none of them have written instructions saying the precise necessities. So what else do I need to do?
Can you show us the exact code you're trying to execu–oh. Hm. Not really much to answer without that, unfortunately. :(

However, there is this! https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6638.msg196936.html#msg196936 :) Read the post right below it too.

If literally all you've done is get 8F, read the first post in that thread as well.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2019-03-14 13:58:56

I mean, like, as you go down you are viewing increased addresses, as the current slot increases past 20, I'm wondering if you can decrease it past 0 to edit higher addresses. As for the 255 thing, I just stupidly thought that you could always toss glitch stacks up to 255.

Just edited to add this. Where can I find a database for characters (a, b, A, B, pk, mn, etc.) sorted by index number? I checked the Glitch City database and couldn't find it.

You can't underflow the currently-selected item slot, the game explicitly prevents that. Further, slots 128 onwards are just a mirror of slots 0 onwards, partly because the game doesn't expect you to go past 128 items.

Posted by: kevin!
Date: 2019-04-27 08:09:54
Hello, first of all I introduce myself, I'm Kevin, this is my first post, and I want to share this curiosity that I found in the game. Since the English version this hybrid is not, because in the English is a hybrid Persian.
A while ago in the glitched hall of fame, I was appear an orange Bulbasaur with a peculiar cry (I do not know if the English version is the same, I use a Spanish version in an original cartridge), (the hex is E5 and he has a number of pokedex 58 (hybrid of growlithe)) I want to show you this curious pokémon glitch :). The funny thing is that it is fire type xDDD.
Image:
[img]https://i.gyazo.com/77711ba55ea7a7ad760db682d03761cb.jpg[/img]
Cry:
https://vocaroo.com/i/s0mwuWV09TsC
Does anyone know where this scream comes from? I never heard it.
In addition, the hybrid HEX is different from the Spanish European version.

Date: 2019-04-28 15:34:14
Welcome to the forums, and great first post! :D How did you obtain that hybrid? The Q glitch? Anyway, the cry seems like the same base for Horsea/Cubone/Persian/etc but at a higher pitch and speed.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-04-29 05:22:44
Hi kevin! Welcome to the forums and great post! :)

You're right, this glitch Pokémon in terms of sprite doesn't exist in English Yellow (or Japanese Yellow), but it does exist in the French, German, Italian and Spanish versions. In the English version it is a hybrid of Persian and not Growlithe, but has a glitched sprite in the English version.

Welcome to the forums, and great first post! :D How did you obtain that hybrid? The Q glitch? Anyway, the cry seems like the same base for Horsea/Cubone/Persian/etc but at a higher pitch and speed.

It's a hybrid glitch Pokémon but not an unstable hybrid, because it looks this way, has Growlithe's Pokédex number and type, etc. regardless of whether you merge it or not (and merged Pokémon don't update their type on the summary screen). I believe based on how the English version works, because it has Growlithe's sprite pointer but 0xE5 (this glitch Pokémon) and 0x21 (Growlithe) belong in different sprite banks, it loads the Growlithe pointer but a different bank, and by coincidence it maps to Bulbasaur's sprite.

Posted by: kevin!
Date: 2019-05-06 16:09:59
I got it for gameshark, I do not know if it's possible to capture it, I've tried to send a yanma, but it transforms into a poke trainer.
I thank you very much for your answer :), I did not know that depending on the version it would vary so much.
  I find it very curious that it is a mixture of several cries LOL.
I have also discovered that in the E8 it is a Seaking with Slowpoke sound.

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-05-29 11:24:34
This is unrelated to anything else mentioned here, but what determines what Pokemon is encountered with LOL glitch? The wiki doesn't say anything about how to manipulate what you get.

Date: 2019-05-29 16:18:26

This is unrelated to anything else mentioned here, but what determines what Pokemon is encountered with LOL glitch? The wiki doesn't say anything about how to manipulate what you get.
The tile at y=06 and x=01. It's CoolTrainer corruption, but using unterminated item names to expand the possibilities. It's still tricky to make it useful on its own, though, hence the derivative glitches.

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-06-26 08:49:04
I found something interesting about Missingno. in Spanish Pokemon Blue. While its sprite was consistent for a while, more recently I found that Missingno. had a different sprite from before. It seems like in Spanish versions of Pokemon, Missingno. has a variable sprite. As to where it takes its sprite data from, I realized that every previous time I encountered Missingno., I always had my Mew sent out. This time, I had forgot to switch Mew to the front and I had my Hex FD glitch pokemon in front instead, suggesting that Missingno. takes its sprite from something related to the player's active Pokemon. To test this, I tried switching my Eevee to the front to see if I got a different result, but I got the same sprite as I had got from Mew. i then tested my hex FF glitch pokemon and sure enough, I got the same sprite, so it seems that there is something about hex FD that messes with Missingno.'s sprite.

This is unrelated, but I also learned on accident that if a glitch Pokemon leans glitch move 0x00 by level up, it will only try to learn it if it already knows four moves.