Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 7

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: Wild MissingNo. appeared
Date: 2008-03-26 20:18:04
That's bizard, since I've lvled MissingNo., and 'M in the past, on my cartridges in the past and, neither ever tried to evolve.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2008-03-27 15:17:33
I'm going to clear up some things.

'M is called 'M not 'M block.

'M evolves at Lv. 1 to a Kangaskhan and I think Lv. 136 to a Clefaery

MissingNo. doesn't evolve ever.

'M is a beta for nothing.

MissingNo. Is not a beta baby Kangaskhan.

The programmers ONLY made R/B non-fossil ghost MissingNo and inadvertantly made the fossil and ghost ones.  MissingNo. did not exist in Green and the Yellow MissingNo. was copied from R/B and glitched later on in development of Yellow since the developers thought that you could not encounter MissingNo. in any non-hacking way after they fixed the east coast of Cinnabar Island.

The developers did create the fossil and ghost MissingNo. sprites, but not the pokemon.  These MissingNo. were probably corrupted by the sprites since the sprite is part of the error trap known as MissingNo.  Since the hexes had information of the sprite in their hex slots, the error trap didn't trigger.  That's why they take the 6th pokemon's stats and attacks.

Also, Prof. Sherkel, almost no evolution's hex is next to it's pre-evo's hex.  R/B/Y/G hex tables are basicly arranged by a dart board from hexes 01-BE and the darts on the board are non-missingno pokemon to say the least of how messy it is.

It is probably like this way due to the fact that evolving of pokemon was later implemented in a later build of a beta.  The developers probably didn't want to rearrange the hexes so they just left it as it was.

I think that pretty much covers it.

Date: 2008-03-27 23:03:22
I know when you catch, 'M, there will be another one with no sprite, but when you catch that, it'll be a lvl 1 Ditto.

Posted by: MissingNO. #1 Master
Date: 2008-03-30 06:45:19
Actually, the ghost and skeletal MissingNO. DO exist in Green.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/MithosYggdrasil/MissingNO/GreenSkel1.jpg[/img]
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/MithosYggdrasil/MissingNO/GreenSkel2.jpg[/img]
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/MithosYggdrasil/MissingNO/GreenMissingNO.jpg[/img]

Date: 2008-03-30 07:02:32
Awesome. I'm gonna be searching them, later. I don't know about L MissingNo. I doubt he'll exsit, there. I'm sure the last one says: Rei Kesutsuban appeared! Or, rival sent out. Sorry, my Japanese isn't very good.

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2008-04-03 19:48:59

Actually, the ghost and skeletal MissingNO. DO exist in Green.

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/MithosYggdrasil/MissingNO/GreenSkel1.jpg[/img]
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/MithosYggdrasil/MissingNO/GreenSkel2.jpg[/img]
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/MithosYggdrasil/MissingNO/GreenMissingNO.jpg[/img]
The second's just a Ghost. Unless that is the "MissingNo.".

Date: 2008-04-04 22:30:22
Since, when was the Ghost, of Levender Town's Lost Tower, lvl 2? He's way above lvl 2. Rei Ketsuban, I beileve, that is. I've not tried, seeing them yet, on my other 2, emulator's just yet so, I'll soon find out. Rei Ketsuban - Ghost MissingNo. But, we'll soon see, won't we?

Posted by: Newo
Date: 2008-04-05 06:02:42
Did anyone at all consider asking me?
Yes, There are all the MissingNo in Green, but 'M and standard MissingNo are instant crashes. But Fossil and Ghosts are the the ones shown.

To Gary's point, rearranging data is very messy.
And I believe that the Fossil and Ghosts are a little bit more than sprite data, as they copy data… but I am not 100% sure why. Maybe something to do with the fact that Ghost has to fill in for any pokemon, and assumingly the fossils do as well.

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2008-04-06 00:13:33
You know what's weird.
When I go to Viridian City in yellow that old man isn't there but if I go into the mart there then come out he oddley enough appears.

Posted by: Missing? NO!
Date: 2008-04-06 09:44:29

You know what's weird.
When I go to Viridian City in yellow that old man isn't there but if I go into the mart there then come out he oddley enough appears.

Amazing old man!

Posted by: Antipathy
Date: 2008-04-14 03:17:53
I was recreating the Mew glitch in Yellow and found some neat things not mentioned on the main site.

Using a Machoke (Special #50, which would get you Missingno.), if you go through all the steps except the last (entering a route so the start menu appears) and change boxes in Bill's PC, then completing the last step, a text box appears, and dots come up. They stop after completing one line, then the game freezes.

Also using the same Machoke, if you go to Unknown Dungeon instead of Cinnabar Island to encounter the wild Ditto, then complete the rest of the steps, the menu bars pops up like usual, but after you exit out and the screen goes black, it stays there for longer than usual. Then the battle screen pops up. You appear and Missigno appears as a block, but instead of the normal text it says "Missingno. is trying to learn". There's also a down arrow, which indicates that more text will follow. However, when you press A, the same words appear. This keeps going, so I eventually reset my game.

This may have been mentioned before, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to post.

Date: 2008-04-14 08:11:51

I was recreating the Mew glitch in Yellow and found some neat things not mentioned on the main site.

Using a Machoke (Special #50, which would get you Missingno.), if you go through all the steps except the last (entering a route so the start menu appears) and change boxes in Bill's PC, then completing the last step, a text box appears, and dots come up. They stop after completing one line, then the game freezes.

Also using the same Machoke, if you go to Unknown Dungeon instead of Cinnabar Island to encounter the wild Ditto, then complete the rest of the steps, the menu bars pops up like usual, but after you exit out and the screen goes black, it stays there for longer than usual. Then the battle screen pops up. You appear and Missigno appears as a block, but instead of the normal text it says "Missingno. is trying to learn". There's also a down arrow, which indicates that more text will follow. However, when you press A, the same words appear. This keeps going, so I eventually reset my game.

The thing with the pc you did I am currently researching.
It's the "Text Box" effect as I'm currently calling it unless some one has a better name.
If during the mew trick you make a text box pop up before going on to the place you flew away from the trainer various effects will appear depending on what text box it was and what place you flew away from.
I am currently recording data on this.

The second thing you mentioned happen to me too when I incountered missingno. in pokemon yellow.

Posted by: Sorreah
Date: 2008-04-15 19:27:34

A similar thing happened to me once. While on my way to the Lv. 7 fight, I stopped by the Poke Center and withdrew a Lv. 14 Sandshrew. When I arrived at the destined spot, I got a text box that filled up with random numbers and caused the game to freeze.

Usually if I cause a text box to pop up, I end up getting the dialogue of one of the trainers on the route where the first trainer is.

Date: 2008-04-15 21:08:14
You know it's weird.
When ever in my experiments I get a glitched up text box it usually goes away after a while (also pressing the a button every so often helps).

Posted by: Pikachu~
Date: 2008-04-15 21:34:12

I have gotten the result from the first one you posted, but the second one sounds plain wierd.