Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 10

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2010-05-18 12:34:58

I want to know, can you do the "dokokashira" door glitch in the Japanese version of Pokemon Blue?

Perhaps not via the 'usual' method because similarly to Pokémon Yellow the Japanese Pokémon Blue is quite different. For example, there are a number of dialogue changes. This is probably not a good example here but in the Japanese Blue game you can trade a man at Cinnibar a Kadabra instead of a Raichu.

Isn't Japanese based on the same basis as the non-Japanese Red and Blue rather than the Japanese Red and Green versions which are a previous engine. So "Green-specific" glitches wouldn't work.

Yes thats a great point to consider. I guess that none of the "select glitches" work at all then on the Japanese Blue. These (dokokashira is just one of many useful examples) requires the player to use the select button to highlight a Pokémon and then use the select button again on the item menu to switch around data in the game's RAM. The dokokashira door glitch just requires the player to do this with Oak's Parcel (as the second item) and any Pokémon in the first slot. There are several other cool select glitches around like a 'convert a fossil' one which I think requires the player to swap the 22nd item (in PC) with the fourth Pokémon. The item's identifier corresponds with the recieved Pokémon here.

To answer the original question though, although it is still possible to swap data on every version (and in fact every RPG Pokémon game) since you cannot use the select button on Pokémon Red and Blue to swap Pokémon, one presumably cannot do so in the Japanese Blue either so the dokokashira door glitch is not possible in 'normal gameplay'.

Posted by: Mousekiro
Date: 2010-05-24 10:16:23
Um, hi. *feels really awkward*

I couldn't find a contact email address on the wiki, so I joined the forum hoping to ask someone knowledgeable about this. I searched the forum for "Sabrina" and "Saffron" and didn't find anything about this, so I'm sorry if this has been discussed before. There's something I've been wondering about for a while now with regard to Glitch City in R/B/Y.

Glitch City Laboratories' guide says "The Glitch City is a corrupted map, and the map that the player was in when the P.A. sounded is the "source" map." It also states that warps and doors do nothing in Glitch City. I seem to have visited a Glitch City a few years ago that contradicted both of these.

I was using Yellow Version, if that makes any difference. I performed the usual Glitch City procedure, and instead of flying anywhere, left Fuchsia City by the eastern exit. I got through the maze, and happened to end my "Safari Zone" time allowance on the very first bit of the blue path next to the water that is just after the maze, where a couple are standing. (Note: going further up the path does not seem to work, and nor did surfing in the water when I tried it.)

When I was called back I was on a completely glitched screen (full of symbols and bits of building), and just as I was about to call it a dud and switch off, I decided to try taking a step to the right. Immediately I was spun around and flew off, as if I had stepped on a teleportation pad.

When the screen cleared, I *was* on a teleportation pad– in what turned out to be Sabrina's gym in Saffron City. Everything worked as normal within the gym (trainers talked, teleportation pads worked consistently and with normal exits). Pikachu also followed me normally and with no apparent problems in its AI. But when I left the gym, I was on another glitched screen (this one froze my game).

I tested this repeatedly. The result seemed to be consistent.

I'm not a techie, I'll freely admit, so I have no idea how this came about. It seems to contradict some of the major things I know about Glitch City exploration:

1) I was nowhere near Saffron City when I got called back, yet the Glitch City I came out in contained the Saffron gym.
2) Glitch Cities contain no working objects, yet the Glitch City I came out in contained a working teleportation pad.
3) Coming out of a building normally "fixes" Glitch City, but in this case it did not.

Is this just a peculiar anomaly with my game, or can it be replicated? (if it's an individual game anomaly I am SOSORRYFORWASTINGYOURTIME  :-[)And what are the (I'm sure very sensible and obvious) explanations for the whole thing's weirdness?

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2010-05-24 14:04:09
Yeah, similar things have happened to me with Glitch City. One time I exited out of a Poke mart.
When it comes to glitches revolving leaving and entering locations, you could end up any where.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-05-24 22:54:08
^^No, it didn't waste any time, it's actually really cool. Perhaps if you step over a load line as the PA goes it loads strange, kind of like tweaking in Gen4?

Posted by: Sonikku1011
Date: 2010-05-26 22:21:35
With Glitch City, I believe it messes up the invisible warps that are between doors and such. Basically, these warps keep track on where the player is, and where the player will end up next. Being in different areas in the game while executing the GC glitch changes the warps, and thus you end up in pretty strange places in the game. For example, once I came out of the PokeMart in Saffron City, I forget which route I was on when the "P.A" text showed up.

Date: 2010-05-27 11:52:34
With Glitch City, I believe it messes up the invisible warps that are between doors and such. Basically, these warps keep track on where the player is, and where the player will end up next. Being in different areas in the game while executing the GC glitch changes the warps, and thus you end up in pretty strange places in the game. For example, once I came out of the PokeMart in Saffron City, I forget which route I was on when the "P.A" text showed up.

My original thoughts were that perhaps leaving the Safari Zone gatehouse should always take you to the 'previous location' - as suggested by changing XX to the Safari Zone gatehouse and walking to the bottom exit after turning the code off in the location manager code 01XX5DD3, so if you run out of steps in another location the function (i.e. appear outside of this building - the Safari Zone house)  probably becomes invalid for other areas, hence the game manages nearby unrelated pointers to translate such data into tile data?

Its difficult with this theory to explain why you would wind up in the Pokémart though. I've never actually done the Glitch City trick too much, when you winded up in a Pokémart did you get taken to the Safari Zone gatehouse first? If not I guess the Safari Zone gatehouse isn't always used constantly as people may have thought and you may have been transported to the Pokémart instead of the gatehouse.

Posted by: Sonikku1011
Date: 2010-05-28 02:31:08

OK, so a while back, I had restarted Red version, and the Snorlax between Vermilion and Lavender….  It wasn't there.  At all.  Can anyone kind of explain this?
I may have a theory on this one, did you happen to do the Mew trick in this save? If you did, and you traveled down the route under Lavender, and happened to end up where Snorlax's overworld sprite is, before getting into a battle it's sprite disappears. More info can be found under the Mew Trick page, and there's a link to the video I posted on Youtube about a week ago on what exactly happens. If you didn't perform the Mew Glitch, perhaps you used a cheating device of some sort? Cheating devices can definitely mess up your game. Also:

My original thoughts were that perhaps leaving the Safari Zone gatehouse should always take you to the 'previous location' - as suggested by changing XX to the Safari Zone gatehouse and walking to the bottom exit after turning the code off in the location manager code 01XX5DD3, so if you run out of steps in another location the function (i.e. appear outside of this building - the Safari Zone house)  probably becomes invalid for other areas, hence the game manages nearby unrelated pointers to translate such data into tile data?

Its difficult with this theory to explain why you would wind up in the Pokémart though. I've never actually done the Glitch City trick too much, when you winded up in a Pokémart did you get taken to the Safari Zone gatehouse first? If not I guess the Safari Zone gatehouse isn't always used constantly as people may have thought and you may have been transported to the Pokémart instead of the gatehouse.
I went through the gatehouse first, and then ended up coming out of the Pokemart in Saffron. I was experimenting, since I was young and my cousin told me about the lame rumor that there was a 9th gym in Glitch City and that's where Mewthree was at in my Yellow…  :XD:

Date: 2010-05-28 02:42:11

I was experimenting, since I was young and my cousin told me about the lame rumor that there was a 9th gym in Glitch City and that's where Mewthree was at in my Yellow…  :XD:

Ah, the good old days lol.

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2010-05-28 04:19:22

I was experimenting, since I was young and my cousin told me about the lame rumor that there was a 9th gym in Glitch City and that's where Mewthree was at in my Yellow…  :XD:

Lol, I remember believing that thing where you put a magikarp in the daycare and walk exactly 500 steps and land the last on into the house where you get your magikarp back and it was a mew. I tried it like 3 times before I figured it was fake :D

Posted by: Destinatus
Date: 2010-05-28 08:25:53

I still remember the days (3 years ago) when I believed Mew was under the truck.
AND when Togepi was in R/B/Y.
AND a whole bunch of other b.s. It's odd when I look over it…  :XD:

Posted by: Darkness_LordII
Date: 2010-06-21 17:21:55
I also remember when some Pokémon Fan site explained how to obtain pokémon over level 255. I thought it was true in the past : O

Posted by: Destinatus
Date: 2010-06-23 09:32:16
…Okay, we're starting to get off-track here.

I'm currently in the process of performing the Get All Starters glitch for G/S/C.

Posted by: Missingno. Master
Date: 2010-07-27 17:04:49
Whoo, boy.  I was doing the Ditto Glitch in Red, except instead of fighting Ditto, I was just going back to the gambler's route after fighting the trainer, to see what I would find.  I had previously done this with all trainers before Bill's house.  In addition to Mew, I had managed to get Cubone, Scyther, and Gengar.  Anyway, this time, something seriously screwy happened.

I flew away from the Gambler and returned to Lavender Town.

I went north and fought the hiker who uses Onix and Graveler.  The one who says something about mountain air.

I returned to Lavender Town.

In anticipation of something particularly hard to catch, I went to the Pokemart and bought 20 Great Balls.

I entered the route.  Instead of the menu coming up, a text box appeared and said "You look good at Pokemon, but how's your chem?"  Or whatever that guy says.  Next I find myself fighting the Super Nerd.  I beat him, and then after the battle, another text box comes up, this one filled with glitchy text, and I fight the same Super Nerd.  This time, after the battle, it ends.

I walk on the route, and it's stopping me after every step I take.  It does some strange sound effect, plus Missingno.'s cry after every step.  And trainers weren't noticing me, and the start menu wasn't working, although the A button was, though only when I was talking to that one lass I had already beaten.

I reset the game and did the whole thing over again, only I skipped the part where I buy Great Balls.  This time I just found a Gastly.

So, uh, what the hell?  It's pretty clear to me that buying the Great Balls screwed me up.  But how did it do this?

Posted by: glitchuntress
Date: 2010-07-27 23:23:41

Whoo, boy.  I was doing the Ditto Glitch in Red, except instead of fighting Ditto, I was just going back to the gambler's route after fighting the trainer, to see what I would find.  I had previously done this with all trainers before Bill's house.  In addition to Mew, I had managed to get Cubone, Scyther, and Gengar.  Anyway, this time, something seriously screwy happened.

I flew away from the Gambler and returned to Lavender Town.

I went north and fought the hiker who uses Onix and Graveler.  The one who says something about mountain air.

I returned to Lavender Town.

In anticipation of something particularly hard to catch, I went to the Pokemart and bought 20 Great Balls.

I entered the route.  Instead of the menu coming up, a text box appeared and said "You look good at Pokemon, but how's your chem?"  Or whatever that guy says.  Next I find myself fighting the Super Nerd.  I beat him, and then after the battle, another text box comes up, this one filled with glitchy text, and I fight the same Super Nerd.  This time, after the battle, it ends.

I walk on the route, and it's stopping me after every step I take.  It does some strange sound effect, plus Missingno.'s cry after every step.  And trainers weren't noticing me, and the start menu wasn't working, although the A button was, though only when I was talking to that one lass I had already beaten.

I reset the game and did the whole thing over again, only I skipped the part where I buy Great Balls.  This time I just found a Gastly.

So, uh, what the hell?  It's pretty clear to me that buying the Great Balls screwed me up.  But how did it do this?

I made a thread about this:
http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,3979.0.html

Also, it's not so much the fact that you bought Great Balls it's the fact that you talked to the merchant.

P.S. Try examining the shelves then going to the route, crazy stuff happens when you do that.

Posted by: cacajols
Date: 2010-09-23 19:21:15
Hello everyone. Im new to this forum and to almost everything about glitches.
Recently, this year I started playing pokemon blue and yellow. I always heard and read about "mew glitch" so I decided to try it about a month ago. I did it the first time you get to Cerulean city and caught a level 7 Mew.
So I kept playing and I have just beaten Koga in Fuchsia and my Pikachu got to level 50 and decided to compare its stats with the rental pokemon in pokemon stadium.
I have two boxes full of pokemon, and in party, pikachu is included, so I check the boxes in the pokemon selection screen for the gym tower in pokemon stadium and realize that the 9th box is full of "glitched" pokemon:

All of them are level 100, with random attacks, two Normal types, random "sprites" and 99999999 as their name (Im not sure how many "9" are included in their name).
When I checked a glitched Lapras, the game froze.

Also boxes 10, 11 and 12 appear as they have pokemon in it, but when I checked there are no pokemon.

So I looked on the internet about this and couldnt find too much information.

I guess this is related to the mew glitch, although I'm not sure.
I hope you can help me and also I got some questions about this (I'd rather ask before my saved data is deleted or gets corrupt):

- What if I "delete" the "glitched" pokemon? If I do, will they appear again?
- What if I transfer my Mew to other cartridges? (I have it stored in the pokemon stadium game pak)

And well, my major concern is that the game data gets deleted or corrupt, or if this affects my "normal" caught pokemon and other game cartridges. Any help would be appreciated.
And apologies if my english isnt perfect, its not my mother tongue. Also if this happens to be a normal glitch consequence.