Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 19

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-03-20 04:47:09

Nah, confusion is the question mark.

The question mark there looks like it's from the Amnesia animation, but then I've already proven my lack of expertise in the field of RBY sprites so I should probably shut up now.

Both of these answers are correct. When you attack under confusion, an animation with the ? mark is played beside your Pokémon's mini-sprite. On the turn that confusion is being inflicted, the eight sided shape appears.

The same ? mark animation is used for Amnesia, as well.

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2014-03-20 17:01:54

Nah, confusion is the question mark.

Ah, okay. Got R/B/Y and G/S's confusion animations confused.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2014-03-21 16:13:52
I just noticed a Weedle always misses with Poison Sting against Onix. It's true for both sides (Weedle vs Onix or Onix vs Weedle). String Shot sometimes hits but Poison Sting always misses. Poison Sting used by other Pokemon like Ekans can hit Onix.

EDIT: This applies to other Pokemon with Rock/Ground typing as well.

Posted by: Kelvinv
Date: 2014-04-04 15:23:21
Where does Old Man store your name data in Pokemon Yellow?

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-04-04 17:41:30
The old man glitch still stores data in the encounter slots, however after the old man catches the Rattata, the game blanks out encounter slots. The shore tiles do not act as grass tiles in Yellow, either.

Posted by: Stilgar
Date: 2014-04-05 09:28:20

I just noticed a Weedle always misses with Poison Sting against Onix. It's true for both sides (Weedle vs Onix or Onix vs Weedle). String Shot sometimes hits but Poison Sting always misses. Poison Sting used by other Pokemon like Ekans can hit Onix.

EDIT: This applies to other Pokemon with Rock/Ground typing as well.

Does this happen with Rhyhorn/Rhydon as well, being Ground/Rock instead?

Date: 2014-04-05 12:45:45
Yes all Poison Stings miss as well against Rhydon.

It still hits Cubone (Ground) and Kabutops (Rock/Water) though, so only dual Rock/Ground typing would make it miss.

EDIT: It misses against Gengar, which also has a 1/4x resistance to Poison.

Ekans' Poison Sting hits Onix but can't hit Gengar.

MORE EDITS: Not just Poison Sting, but other Poison moves as well.

Date: 2014-04-06 07:50:14

Yes all Poison Stings miss as well against Rhydon.

It still hits Cubone (Ground) and Kabutops (Rock/Water) though, so only dual Rock/Ground typing would make it miss.

EDIT: It misses against Gengar, which also has a 1/4x resistance to Poison.

Ekans' Poison Sting hits Onix but can't hit Gengar.

MORE EDITS: Not just Poison Sting, but other Poison moves as well.

I have tried replicating this using low leveled Gengar, Rhydon, Onix and Nidoking as well, since it's x4 resistant to Poison, being Poison/Ground and I noticed that a Weedle that is lower/same leveled than them misses all of them with Poison Sting, but if I try with a higher leveled one, it hits all of them. With Ekans is the same if it's higher leveled, but if it's lower leveled it always hits Nidoking and Gengar but it happened to always miss Onix and Rhydon, but sometimes it randomly hit Rhydon too trying with a different one. Probably it is something that has to do with the level or the stats of the two Pokémon? Or maybe the base stats? Aside from Weedle it seems a quite random thing to me, I don't know why this happens.
Also I have noticed another interesting thing: sometimes when Wrap (Normal type move) is used against Gengar (Ghost/Poison) it will actually hit multiple times, but without doing any damage.

Date: 2014-04-06 10:56:42
Could it be that the calculated damage is 0 and it just counts as a miss?

Date: 2014-04-06 14:05:15

Could it be that the calculated damage is 0 and it just counts as a miss?

Yes probably the damage is inferior to 1HP so it misses because of this, I have tried doing a calculation with the Pokémon Showdown calculator using the first generation statistics and the result using a low leveled Ekans Acid versus a high leveled Rhydon is this:

Ekans Acid vs. Rhydon: 0-0 (0 - 0%) – aim for the horn next time

I have tried using a level 100 Omastar against a level 4 Weedle and 1HP of damage was still dealt, in fact the calculation says:

Weedle Poison Sting vs Omastar (0 - 0.2%) – possibly the worst move ever

So yes, it's mostly because the damage dealt is so low that it results as a 0%.

The same things happen using the second generation statistics, probably trying the same in game would result in a failing move too?

EDIT: I have tried the same (level 3 Weedle versus level 100 Onix) with Pokémon Gold in game and the damage was still dealt (1HP), so it is definitely a first generation exclusive glitch.

Date: 2014-04-09 11:48:20
Which addresses govern the battle style?

Date: 2014-04-09 16:08:59

Which addresses govern the battle style?

Here's all of the ones that come to mind.

D057: Battle type 1:
00=Outside of battle (functions like Trainer but you can't use battle only items, and the behaviour of items will change, e.g. you can use TMs)
01=Wild Pokémon
02=Trainer

D05A: Battle type 2:

00= Regular battle
01=Old Man battle
02=Safari Zone battle
03=RB: Don't send out any Pokémon, fight does nothing. If you open your items menu you automatically use an item, and can't close the "use item on which Pokémon?" message. At the end of your turn get the 'out of Safari Balls' message or have it still be your turn if you have Safari Balls Y: "Hurry, get away!" (unused)
04=RB: Same as 03. Y: Prof. Oak battle
05+=RB: Same as 03. Y: Same as RB's 03.

D05F: Wild or hooked encounter:

00=Wild
01=Hooked

D12B: Normal or link battle Trainer?:

00=Normal
01=Link battle (opponent has Red's picture and a custom team)

Date: 2014-04-10 00:39:30
I'm sorry for not saying this immediately but I actually mean the addresses governing the battle style (I mean if it is switch or set). I want to research glitch values for these

Date: 2014-04-10 05:02:08

I'm sorry for not saying this immediately but I actually mean the addresses governing the battle style (I mean if it is switch or set). I want to research glitch values for these

Oh! That would be D355.

From Datacrystal:

Bit 7 = Battle Animation (1 = Off, 0 = On)
Bit 6 = Battle Style (1 = Set, 0 = Shift)
Bit 5-4 = probably unused
Low Nybble = Text Speed (0x0 = fastest, 0xF = slowest)
Fast = 1
Medium = 3
Slow = 5

To clarify bit (x) means +(2^x), so you don't count 2^0 as bit 1 here, even though it technically is. The low nybble is x in YX where YX represent the byte. If it is 0, the text will be instant, if it is F the text will be the slowest.

Unfortunately glitch text speeds seem to be the only 'glitches' possible through this byte.

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-04-11 19:18:45
I have two questions:
1. Why does Missingno. crash your game in yellow? Does it suffer the same problem as PokeWTrainer?
2. Why can't you use the Cooltrainer move to mutate Pokemon in Yellow?