Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 27

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: The G-Meister
Date: 2015-09-23 11:47:17
Ahh, hybrids. Makes sense now. A lot of them seem to share the base moves, stats and some even manage to match the correct sprite too, even though the colour is grey (they all seem to be that way, assuming grey is the default value when not specified).

Sadly, in terms of a speedrun technique, the problem isn't the long Pokédex entry because, as camper pointed out, they're normally empty. The problem is more the massive wait time you have to, well, wait for, as the cry finishes. I'm not sure where they take their cry data from, but wherever it is, each one usually lasts a good couple minutes, and even it's not a speedrun technique… it still sounds hilarious xD One of them seems to have a completely different cry every time you look at its stats, and some are so freaky I might start to take some belief in that so called "Lavender Town Syndrome". If I had a capture card I'd gladly show you.

And yeah, as you said, it seems a little unethical catching glitch Pokémon to register as a normal Pokémon just because it's quicker (when in most cases it's won't be, anyway).

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2015-09-23 16:51:01

Long (and never-ending) Pokedex entries are really rare, at least in Red/Blue. Most of them are completely empty.

Ah. I see. I've never explored the dex entries glitch by glitch in the past. Thanks for this. :)

Ahh, hybrids. Makes sense now. A lot of them seem to share the base moves, stats and some even manage to match the correct sprite too, even though the colour is grey (they all seem to be that way, assuming grey is the default value when not specified).

About that, all hybrid glitch Pokémon (#1-151) share the same starting moves, typing, base stats, TM/HM learnset as the valid Pokémon, as well as everything that can be found here.

http://hax.iimarck.us/files/missingno_explained.html

They do not (necessarily) have the same cry and level up moves as this data is taken from ID rather than Pokédex number.

The reason why they do not always have the same front-sprite, back-sprite as the valid Pokémon (even though the two byte sprite pointer and dimensions are taken from the valid Pokémon) is because each Pokémon ID has a particular sprite bank. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_base_stats_data_structure_in_Generation_I#Sprites

A Pokémon like Bulbasaur uses sprite bank 0x0D (it is documented that all IDs ranging from 0x99-0xFF but are not 0xB6, 0xB7, or 0xB8 have this bank but I do not know for sure), and in Red, Blue, Yellow, its sprite is taken from 0D:4000 (offset 34000).

'. is a Bulbasaur hybrid and is hex:D5. It is in bank 0x0D and correctly uses Bulbasaur's sprite data from 0D:4000 (offset 34000).

But $ 6 (hex:FD, Jolteon hybrid) has a different bank to Jolteon. Jolteon's sprite is in bank 0B. Its front sprite's two byte pointer data is 688F, so the sprite is located at 0B:688F (offset 2E88F). Hex:FD's sprite bank is 0D, so its front sprite points to 0D:688F (offset 3688F) instead.

Sadly, in terms of a speedrun technique, the problem isn't the long Pokédex entry because, as camper pointed out, they're normally empty. The problem is more the massive wait time you have to, well, wait for, as the cry finishes. I'm not sure where they take their cry data from, but wherever it is, each one usually lasts a good couple minutes, and even it's not a speedrun technique… it still sounds hilarious xD One of them seems to have a completely different cry every time you look at its stats, and some are so freaky I might start to take some belief in that so called "Lavender Town Syndrome". If I had a capture card I'd gladly show you.

Yeah, some cries can be long. Like how if you keep viewing h POKé (hex:C3)'s status, then eventually you may come across a cry that is exceptionally long. I agree, they can get pretty creepypasta-ish and you may hear high-pitched sounds.

Yeah I think the cries can get pretty entertaining, additionally I like it when Pokédex entries bring up a variety of sounds, and how some glitch Pokémon play music like when you view from the summary, withdraw or deposit 7g.

And yeah, as you said, it seems a little unethical catching glitch Pokémon to register as a normal Pokémon just because it's quicker (when in most cases it's won't be, anyway).

Yeah. There's the aspect that you wouldn't be watching what you were expecting to watch.

I believe in the idea that a catch 'em all run should capture the real Pokémon, otherwise I don't think it's really a catch 'em all at all.

I feel that it takes the spirit away from it to do that, you may be filling up the dex entries but you aren't actually getting the Pokémon. I like to be able to see their sprites and like it when the Pokédex entries of the Pokémon you are registering show as well.

This page also has a list which is incomplete, so I'll edit it to add the omissions tomorrow.

Updated the page with omissions. :)

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2015-11-11 16:36:16
Decided to find out Yellow glitch item pointers, so here they are:
Item $00:  ExecutionPointer=fe06

Item $54:  ExecutionPointer=56fa
Item $55:  ExecutionPointer=a7d0
Item $56:  ExecutionPointer=b5ca
Item $57:  ExecutionPointer=3d64
Item $58:  ExecutionPointer=cac2
Item $59:  ExecutionPointer=fa64
Item $5a:  ExecutionPointer=d059
Item $5b:  ExecutionPointer=01fe
Item $5c:  ExecutionPointer=1328
Item $5d:  ExecutionPointer=04fe
Item $5e:  ExecutionPointer=0f28
Item $5f:  ExecutionPointer=62fa
Item $60:  ExecutionPointer=fed1
Item $61:  ExecutionPointer=2006
Item $62:  ExecutionPointer=fa08
Item $63:  ExecutionPointer=da7f
Item $64:  ExecutionPointer=14fe
Item $65:  ExecutionPointer=f0ca
Item $66:  ExecutionPointer=af64
Item $67:  ExecutionPointer=1bea
Item $68:  ExecutionPointer=fad1
Item $69:  ExecutionPointer=d059
Item $6a:  ExecutionPointer=02fe
Item $6b:  ExecutionPointer=0420
Item $6c:  ExecutionPointer=4621
Item $6d:  ExecutionPointer=35da
Item $6e:  ExecutionPointer=03cd
Item $6f:  ExecutionPointer=3e3e
Item $70:  ExecutionPointer=ea43
Item $71:  ExecutionPointer=d11d
Item $72:  ExecutionPointer=1bcd
Item $73:  ExecutionPointer=2137
Item $74:  ExecutionPointer=652c
Item $75:  ExecutionPointer=36cd
Item $76:  ExecutionPointer=213c
Item $77:  ExecutionPointer=59ac
Item $78:  ExecutionPointer=0f06
Item $79:  ExecutionPointer=84cd
Item $7a:  ExecutionPointer=063e
Item $7b:  ExecutionPointer=ca10
Item $7c:  ExecutionPointer=554a
Item $7d:  ExecutionPointer=59fa
Item $7e:  ExecutionPointer=fed0
Item $7f:  ExecutionPointer=2801
Item $80:  ExecutionPointer=fe06

Haven't examined/explored them much, but it is interesting to note that hex00 jumps into OAM data.

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2015-11-12 06:01:57
Very nice luckytyphlosion, this might be very useful! It's about time we do some research on not well-known glitch items effects. Thanks!  :D

Date: 2015-11-14 07:21:34
Wait, so if I can only catch these sort-of-half-but-not glitch hybrids… is there any way to catch the actual glitch Pokémon?

And also, there's a couple items that always cause me to have to press B once or more, and it's rather frustrating. Anyone happen to know which glitch items these are? I was thinking of writing a huge "Beginners guide to item underflow," so anyone else who happens to be new to glitching knows what's going on.

Also I found a small but cool quirk the other day, I'll post it here when I remember what it was. :/

Date: 2015-11-25 14:28:37
Ah, remembered the quirk. On Cinnabar Island, if you push the lady over to the right so she's standing underneath the doorway of the Gym, if you stand in the doorway without the secret key, it will tell you the door is locked, then try to push you down. Because she's in the way, you can't move down, so it just brings up the message again. If you close the message enough times, she'll slowly start to move out of the way again.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2016-03-04 18:45:46
Not sure if this has been documented, forgive me if it has been. This is a very minor glitch. While standing on a warp pad in Silph Co. if you use dig, teleport, or a escape rope to exit the building the game won't play the normal animation. Instead, the warp pad animation is used. Here's a very short video demonstrating it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2mhKqIDYXU&feature=youtu.be

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2016-03-04 20:40:28

Not sure if this has been documented, forgive me if it has been. This is a very minor glitch. While standing on a warp pad in Silph Co. if you use dig, teleport, or a escape rope to exit the building the game won't play the normal animation. Instead, the warp pad animation is used. Here's a very short video demonstrating it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2mhKqIDYXU&feature=youtu.be
Yes this is known

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2016-03-05 04:22:05

Yup, and there's more to it too. Torchickens made a video about it a few months ago.

Posted by: Premierball
Date: 2016-03-05 15:57:23
hi guys!
i experienced a bunch of unusual things at glitching in the VC on 3DS of pokemon yellow.

write it down here, has anyone ideas about that?
http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php/topic,7436.45.html

maybe its also only the yellow version, and the map is made primarily for pkmn blue/red… lately i got a pinsir at a spot where only Parasect/Cloyster shoudl spawn, and at the 3rd Rocket who should have 5 possible slots i only got 5 tentacools, even the chances were 3*Mew 1*Blastoise 1*Mew.

would be cool to get some answers about the mechanics here ;)

Posted by: Shina69
Date: 2016-06-01 08:07:06
Is it possible to change your Ash character sprite for a Prof Oak one? Would love to trick my friend on a cable fight xD
There are these videos making it by the endless spinning glitch, but sprite changes again if you stop moving.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-mzSaAxH38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_gWeUM4d5I

Wonder if it's possible to create an wsm code to change the sprite.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-06-01 15:27:59
This won't work on Link Battles. Your Gameboy will show a Oak sprite, but the opponent Gameboy won't, because you're never supposed to be Oak :P

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-06-01 16:00:19

Ah, remembered the quirk. On Cinnabar Island, if you push the lady over to the right so she's standing underneath the doorway of the Gym, if you stand in the doorway without the secret key, it will tell you the door is locked, then try to push you down. Because she's in the way, you can't move down, so it just brings up the message again. If you close the message enough times, she'll slowly start to move out of the way again.

I was bored, so this got its own wiki page. [size=2pt]Can someone give me a life ? Please[/size]

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2016-06-23 12:31:56
Yes this is a result of ROM hacking, but as I've managed to reproduce it several times, I think it's worth mentioning.  As with most of my memory hacking exploits, it involves changing the first byte in line 3906 to 9F.

In R/B, playing around a bit with the SNES at the very beginning of the game will somehow trigger an action related to the Fighting Dojo.  The action of selecting (Yes/No) Hitmonchan is offered to the player, and if the player accepts, a perfectly normal Hitmonchan is added to the party.

Although pretty much anything can happen in memory hacking, this seems to be one consistent feature that I've found.  It doesn't always happen when interacting with the SNES.

Posted by: Nostalgia
Date: 2016-06-27 08:13:23
I've heard if you encounter missingno, then beat the hall of fame and don't encounter missingno after that - the hall of fame won't be glitched.

Is this true? Kinda wanna test this but if someone knows for sure, would save a few hours of playing.

Also heard the stable versions of missingno: Kabutops fossil, Aereodactyl fossil and pokemon tower ghost - will not glitch the hall of the fame if you encounter them because they're not glitched sprites?