Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 28

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-06-27 13:58:36

I've heard if you encounter missingno, then beat the hall of fame and don't encounter missingno after that - the hall of fame won't be glitched.

Is this true? Kinda wanna test this but if someone knows for sure, would save a few hours of playing.

Yes, when we obtain our first Hall of Fame induction, you may register the glitch Pokémon and receive an 'ordinary' Hall of Fame. :)

A glitch Pokémon in a Hall of Fame induction sequence (for registering the Pokémon) may appear as the previous valid sprite or block consisting of a combination of tiles, which is reminiscent of ????? from Generation II.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/b0dWKTf.png[/img][img]http://i.imgur.com/9B9NlWj.png[/img]

If further Hall of Fame corruptions are registered with Missingno., it is possible that you will corrupt the listing; even if you never send out the Missingno.

Viewing the opponent's side sprite of Missingno. or sending one into battle will corrupt the Hall of Fame if a listing exists, but it is safe to view the summary of Missingno. and keep the Hall of Fame data.

You can use the CoolTrainer move in RB to capture a level 127 hex:32 Missingno. and keep the Hall of Fame data even if you have a listing:

1) Obtain a 'CoolTrainer' Ditto by having it transform and swapping the second move with the first.
2) Enter Diglett's Cave and enter a battle.
3) Open the Pokémon menu from within battle (important), then close the menu with B and enter the fight menu. Move the cursor until the music fades out, and then capture the Missingno. Your sixth item will be duplicated by 128 if less than 128.
4) After the battle, open the start menu and close it to avoid a freeze before leaving.

Also heard the stable versions of missingno: Kabutops fossil, Aereodactyl fossil and pokemon tower ghost - will not glitch the hall of the fame if you encounter them because they're not glitched sprites?

That's true. Encountering stable Missingno. (Kabutops Fossil, Aerodactyl Fossil and Pokémon Tower Ghost) on the opponent's side won't glitch the Hall of Fame. However, it appears that specific backsprites for these Pokémon may glitch the Hall of Fame. I was successfully able to corrupt it with B6 Missingno. when the foe was Caterpie, but not Pikachu both gave glitchy sprites (The back-sprite of the Pokémon is sourced from the two byte pointer of the enemy Pokémon with a bank B for Kabutops Fossil Missingno. and bank D for Aerodactyl and Ghost Missingno.).

Posted by: Nostalgia
Date: 2016-06-27 16:24:57
Torchickens, while I appreciate the detailed response I think you misunderstood my first question, all I want to know is can one encounter missingno just for item duping - before beating the elite 4 - then beat the elite four with a team regular pokemon and will the hall of fame be glitch free?

As I have read that the corrupting of hall of fame data - comes from encountering missingno after beating the elite four and that scrambles your saved hall of fame data and corrupts it with a bunch of glitch pokemon. So my thinking is, prior to beating the elite four there would be no saved hall of fame data so there would be nothing to corrupt? I could be wrong with this statement, that's why I want to know.

You see, I never mess around with catching glitch pokemon and just use missingno for item duping. :) And I recently lost a perfect Red file, so I want play through the game again but this time I want to try to not corrupt the hall of fame if possible.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-06-27 17:19:46

Torchickens, while I appreciate the detailed response I think you misunderstood my first question, all I want to know is can one encounter missingno just for item duping - before beating the elite 4 - then beat the elite four with a team regular pokemon and will the hall of fame be glitch free?

As I have read that the corrupting of hall of fame data - comes from encountering missingno after beating the elite four and that scrambles your saved hall of fame data and corrupts it with a bunch of glitch pokemon. So my thinking is, prior to beating the elite four there would be no saved hall of fame data so there would be nothing to corrupt? I could be wrong with this statement, that's why I want to know.

You see, I never mess around with catching glitch pokemon and just use missingno for item duping. :) And I recently lost a perfect Red file, so I want play through the game again but this time I want to try to not corrupt the hall of fame if possible.

Oh, it looks like I was under the impression you meant entering the Hall of Fame with a Missingno. in the party. Sorry about that.

Yes. If you encounter a Missingno. and then receive your first Hall of Fame listing, the Hall of Fame will be glitch free until you encounter Missingno. (or certain other garbage sprite glitch Pokémon) again. :)

Posted by: Krys3000
Date: 2016-06-28 10:10:40
I'm not sure whether writing data in the HOF Buffer after it was affected by MissingNo.'s sprite overflow erraze the corruption, but I wouldn't be surprised. But for sure, MissingNo. with regular sprites won't cause the glitch.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-07-02 14:05:31
Of course it will, but only for newer entries. You're overwriting corrupted data with some valid other, after all.

Date: 2016-07-16 03:52:27
Does anyone have a list of the trainer fly Pokemon Yellow only trainers? I have read some things online in the past but can't find links now. I am fully aware of this: http://puu.sh/257S which covers most of the trainers in the game, but Pokemon Yellow has a good few exclusive trainers and different gym leader teams which will produce different Pokemon with the trainer fly/mew glitch, and I wondered if anyone had a list.

Posted by: camper
Date: 2016-07-16 10:15:17
Technically you can use no-clip items (like JACK) to fly from any trainers, so you only need to know the early game ones.

Date: 2016-07-16 16:40:43
No, I am referring to the different trainers in Pokemon Yellow that will yield different Pokemon when used with the mew glitch. The link I posted above is a great guide and covers MOST of the trainers found, but not all of them as Yellow has exclusive trainers and teams not found in Red/Blue. For example, Lt. Surge's level 28 Raichu in Yellow will produce a different Pokemon then his level 24 Raichu in Red/Blue and I'm trying to find out all the little differences as everyone as all the info on this with regards to Red/Blue, but not Yellow.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2016-07-16 17:07:03
I guess you could search for roster differences in the ROM… I guess ?

Posted by: Yeniaul
Date: 2016-09-04 23:25:30

So my thinking is, prior to beating the elite four there would be no saved hall of fame data so there would be nothing to corrupt? I could be wrong with this statement, that's why I want to know.

TECHNICALLY yes, it DOES corrupt the HoF save area, but as the size of the HoF saved Pokémon array (how many wins and how many Pokémon?) is still logged (another arbitrary number of bytes later) as 0, and this is untouched by the corruption, the game effectively goes "Eh, it's just from another save, I'll just say it's not there."
So… yes and no.

Posted by: jaybug_jimmies
Date: 2016-09-25 23:12:59
Hi. I'm a lurker here. A while ago I made a couple pages of a "field guide" for Red/Blue glitch pokemon. I use it for reference when I'm messing around with glitches. I thought maybe someone here might find it useful. They're large images, so I'll link to them:

http://orig10.deviantart.net/ceec/f/2016/033/8/d/pokemon_red_blue_glitch_field_guide_page_1_by_jaybugjimmies-d9qbdtr.png
http://orig10.deviantart.net/3b8b/f/2016/033/5/a/pokemon_red_blue_glitch_field_guide_page_2_by_jaybugjimmies-d9qbf9g.png

Everything should be there except for EF and ED (didn't have front or back sprite images for their 'field guide')

I hope they might be handy or at least possibly amuse someone. And thanks to everyone here for their amazing work in glitch research.

Posted by: shatteredClockworks
Date: 2017-01-25 10:12:31
In blue, I tried doing the 'M glitch, I eventually got it, but I got some weird encounters before actually getting Missingno.
Like a level 160 Rattatta
PROFESSOR OAK(!)
And Mewtwo.
By the way.
'M sounds like Zapdos on crack.
:P

Posted by: forsyz
Date: 2017-01-25 10:46:20
Looks like the glitch mew won't go though poke transporter because of the ot and trainer id how would you change your trainer id and name with 8f.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2017-01-25 11:09:30

In blue, I tried doing the 'M glitch, I eventually got it, but I got some weird encounters before actually getting Missingno.
Like a level 160 Rattatta
PROFESSOR OAK(!)
And Mewtwo.
By the way.
'M sounds like Zapdos on crack.
:P

Your name is the key.

Looks like the glitch mew won't go though poke transporter because of the ot and trainer id how would you change your trainer id and name with 8f.

http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=7799.msg203862#msg203862

Posted by: shatteredClockworks
Date: 2017-01-25 12:42:35
I don't care about my screwed HoF when I encounter a missingno.
Unless someone just really values that for some reason.