Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 12

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2011-11-09 15:39:44
Really? I've heard Missingno./'M won't delete savefiles, and the only side effects are the temporary glitchy sprites, HoF corruption and the 6th item multiplication. Wasn't your cart old or something?

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2011-11-10 01:52:48
All Blue carts are old lol, but no it deleted about a month after I caught those two. I know that everyone says it doesn't delete, but I have experienced it, and my latest game has had h Poké for at least a year and hasn't deleted due to any reason. That pretty well confirms it isn't the battery.

Posted by: PokeWTrainer
Date: 2011-11-10 12:47:53
Hmm, apparently my fears were correct:

http://profglitch.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gcltempboard&action=post&thread=421"e=5037&page=1

It appears that the only way to get PokeWTrainer (besides the Johto guard glitch) is to trade over a different glitch from yellow.  I only have one gameboy though, and getting my yellow to where it could do the extended mew trick would take a substantial amount of time (if it's even possible; last time I tried playing yellow, it had problems freezing after I battled rival in Lavender Town).

Posted by: FullMetalGlitch
Date: 2011-11-10 23:27:39
blahpy, keep in mind, I had my blue for a good 5-6 years, and it had a Missingno for three of those. It didn't give out until about a year ago, so yeah, that doesn't mean Missigno./'M will eff your cartridge up. xD

Date: 2011-11-11 07:59:53

it deleted about a month after I caught those two.

I'm not very used with carts (you know why lol), but I think if it was caused by them, the deletion should me immediate. If it was 1 month later, it's most likely just wear (or something else. I had to use the translator here .-.).

Date: 2011-11-11 15:33:05

blahpy, keep in mind, I had my blue for a good 5-6 years, and it had a Missingno for three of those. It didn't give out until about a year ago, so yeah, that doesn't mean Missigno./'M will eff your cartridge up. xD

Yeah except I've had this save for over a year, and it hasn't deleted. I'm always very careful not to damage my games as they're rather important.
It doesn't mean it will mess with your cartridge but it certainly CAN. I think it would be 'M causing problems though, Missingno theoretically should be stable since it was replaced to data where other Pokémon were going to be.

My cartridge still hasn't "given out".

Posted by: JacobGRocks
Date: 2011-11-12 19:46:36
It might also be a dirty cart, does your cart have issues reading in your GB, and do you see any glitchy Nintendo logos? My JP red got wiped due to a bad insertion.

Date: 2011-11-12 22:18:58
Idk, the wierdest part was that I learned it's possible to recover data if it is erased the way mine was (however you believe it happened). I just don't know how to :P

Date: 2011-11-12 22:41:22
Blowing it? :D loljk

Posted by: PokeWTrainer
Date: 2011-11-13 17:09:02

It might also be a dirty cart, does your cart have issues reading in your GB, and do you see any glitchy Nintendo logos? My JP red got wiped due to a bad insertion.

Wait, you mean inserting your cartridge into the GB incorrectly will delete data?  My yellow gets incorrectly inserted a lot (I have to reinsert it several times before it will start up; I can tell when it messes up because the word "Nintendo" that appears when it powers up will appear distorted), that would explain why it has a tendency to spontaneously forget data…

Date: 2011-11-13 23:04:17

Blowing it? :D loljk

Oh, you.

As for a shifted cartridge, that shouldn't remove your game, it happens often to me if I don't insert it fully and as soon as I put it in correctly it works fine with no data loss (applies to all games)

Date: 2011-11-14 15:38:54
It depends on how dirty your carts are, blowing is bad for carts as well. If you have dirty, and damaged contacts on both the cart AND the GB, then you can have read issues a lot.

Posted by: 46664
Date: 2011-11-15 11:25:27
I don't think it was Missingno or M'.  There isn't really a way to verify what caused it.  This guys data got erased while doing a Clefairy Metronome run.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKolCg3wlVc&feature=related

Date: 2011-11-15 13:41:09
Yeah, that's how my Red save went, randomly after a few misinsertions.

Date: 2011-11-15 14:53:38
You said you can have read issues, that wouldn't make it write random data to the cartridge and stuff it up…