Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 13

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: JacobGRocks
Date: 2011-11-20 13:23:08
I don't know why, though. It also happens if I remove/insert the cart/push on it while it's powered on/in the Nintendo logo screen. A cleaning fixed the push resets, and I haven't had any deletions since.

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2012-08-06 21:52:15
This is a screenshot from a video in which I changed the first byte at 3906 to 9F.  The glitch Pokemon was never sent out, as the game crashed after trying to make it appear.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/WcEHA.png[/img]

Is [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/JrckY.png[/img] the same as [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/cQ1mD.png[/img] ?

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2012-08-07 01:37:15
(2:45 AM, forgive any confusion)

The name looks different, however the text is the same, albeit using a different loaded tileset.  They're the same pokemon assuming that ROM edit you made acts as a proper pokemon modifier.

Glitch characters aren't static, they're dynamic and change their looks based on what is on screen or inside the VRAM.  The tiles loaded in the screenshot correspond to tiles loaded in battle, which are sprites of Pokemon/Trainers on screen.  The names which use overworld sprites in the glitch dex are the most common as they do not normally change outside battle, nor when switching routes (not inside places such as caves/viridian forest, however, though I could be wrong).

But yes, they are the same pokemon.

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2012-08-07 10:24:49
Cool, that's what I thought.  So does it always crash the game?

Posted by: ProfessorGlitch
Date: 2012-08-22 16:23:05
Hey! I am in the middle of the "Save Abuse" glitch in Pokemon Blue, and, man, there is some whacked up stuff! I am holding BOATLOADS of Charizard 'M's along with other glitch Pokemon… Lots of cool, game-crashing glitches and glitch items! :D

Posted by: Thanathan
Date: 2012-09-26 04:42:27
I finally got it to obtain 3TRAINERPOKE on yellow
what a badass xD

Posted by: camper
Date: 2012-09-26 23:43:08
How do you obtain it? There are only 2 legit ways… well 3 if you count the save abuse.

Posted by: Thanathan
Date: 2012-09-27 03:14:19
my trades 'M to  Yellow. And there it was D:

Date: 2012-12-12 11:05:37
Does a hybrid glitch Pokemon always have a moveset and learnset including all of its parent's, plus a few more random moves? Like h Poke, which includes the moveset and learnset of Gengar and learns HM02 as an additional move. Are there any other exceptions besides Missingno.?

Date: 2012-12-12 14:34:04

Does a hybrid glitch Pokemon always have a moveset and learnset including all of its parent's, plus a few more random moves? Like h Poke, which includes the moveset and learnset of Gengar and learns HM02 as an additional move. Are there any other exceptions besides Missingno.?

A "hybrid" doesn't share the move set of its Pokédex equivalent, however it DOES share the same starting moves and TM/HM set. (Level 0s)  Each Pokémon, glitch or otherwise, has its own unique level-up move set, however starting moves and TM/HM pools rely on Pokédex number.

Speaking of which, I'll be making a topic including the TM/HM lists of R/B/Y/G/S/C.

Date: 2012-12-13 01:26:32
Now I look at the TM/HM learnset again, it seems that the learnset of a hybrid glitch Pokemon is a bit different from its Pokedex equivalent. e.g. h Poke can learn Reflect via TM33 while Gengar can't, and Gengar can learn Seismic Toss via TM19 while h Poke can't.

Most of them are noticeably similar though.

Date: 2012-12-13 16:08:00

Now I look at the TM/HM learnset again, it seems that the learnset of a hybrid glitch Pokemon is a bit different from its Pokedex equivalent. e.g. h Poke can learn Reflect via TM33 while Gengar can't, and Gengar can learn Seismic Toss via TM19 while h Poke can't.

Most of them are noticeably similar though.

No, they have the exact same TM/HM pool, it's just an error in the file.  I'll fix it.

Date: 2012-12-13 22:54:16
Why is some glitch Pokemon evolves immediately into another Pokemon just after it evolves once? e.g. LM4. Clefairy shouldn't evolve into Nidoking…

Date: 2012-12-14 11:04:41

Why is some glitch Pokemon evolves immediately into another Pokemon just after it evolves once? e.g. LM4. Clefairy shouldn't evolve into Nidoking…

These tests were done by cancelling the evolution on each level, at that level, it stops trying to evolve into a Clefairy and tries to evolve into a Nidoking.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2012-12-18 18:11:02
I just discovered a new glitch in a German blue version ROM. First off to get this glitch to work, you'll need a different region's (example an English blue version ROM) ROM and you must have a save state as well as a battery save file for the other game. If you have those then boot up the German version ROM and attempt to load the other version's save state. The ROM will crash, this is normal. Just reset the game and hit continue after the title screen. The game will now load the other version's battery file. Next get into a battle, this is where the glitch occurs. You'll notice that your attacks won't do anything to your opponent, and their animations will play twice. To fix this, exit the battle save the game and reset. The game will play normally now. You may use this to help complete another region's game if you have completed it already. ;) Here's a video of the glitch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZTDVaorZcc&feature=youtu.be
Edit: This doesn't work with Yellow, just deleted the battery file.