Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 14

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: camper
Date: 2012-12-18 23:12:54
What about loading a Blue savestate to a Red ROM?

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2012-12-18 23:30:05

What about loading a Blue savestate to a Red ROM?

This won't work because you can't load a save state from a different version, VBA won't let you. (I've already tried this with Yellow. :P) I'm going to see if anything similar happens in the second gen games next. However I might be able to import the battery file from blue to red so i'll test that out right now. Edit: This does nothing. (It works but nothing glitchy happens. :\)

Posted by: Vuroja5
Date: 2012-12-22 05:05:30
Just wondering if there's any way to obtain a Master Ball in Pokemon Yellow without defeating Giovanni in Silph Co.?

In this thread Paco documented a way to use the Mew/Escape glitch to get the Master Ball without fighting Giovanni and clearing the building of trainers, but he states this works on Red/Blue only.

Is there a reason that this would not work on Yellow? I thought the Mew glitch was pretty much consistent between versions.

Is there another method to get a Master Ball? (using Item Mutating glitch pokemon (in the same thread) doesnt seem to be useful either!)

Posted by: Darkness_LordII
Date: 2012-12-22 11:46:04
It is possible to fight a Glitched Trainer version of Jessie & James in the yellow version? (Using Gameshark for pokemon encounter over C8) or its a special exception that the game put on the rocket class?

Date: 2013-01-07 16:11:19
So while working on my glitchdex research I encountered a new way to enter glitch city. It seems that the glitch pokemon that occupies slot BF in the Italian Yellow version (Gialla version) second type alters most maps in the game, creating a glitch city like map! Take a look at my video and read the description too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-072k6uL34
Later i'll make a list of what maps are altered, Viridian City is obviously one of the maps that aren't altered as seen in my video.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-01-13 15:31:57

So while working on my glitchdex research I encountered a new way to enter glitch city. It seems that the glitch pokemon that occupies slot BF in the Italian Yellow version (Gialla version) second type alters most maps in the game, creating a glitch city like map! Take a look at my video and read the description too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-072k6uL34
Later i'll make a list of what maps are altered, Viridian City is obviously one of the maps that aren't altered as seen in my video.

That's interesting.

This reminds me of a glitch in Pokémon Yellow that applies to ?/ (ECh) and p (F4h). It happened to me when researching the glitch experience groups.

Outside of battle, when you view their stats, it causes the music to stop or glitch music to play. Then when you close the menu, the player character becomes invisible and the overworld sprites change/mess up.

After the glitch, if you jump off a ledge, the player's sprite becomes misaligned - about two spaces to the west of where Red actually is.

Entering a building won't fix the glitch, but you can use Fly to return the sprites back to normal.

[img]http://i.minus.com/jbuh8gC8vhkqjP.png[/img]

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvnKqS1X7x0

Date: 2013-01-14 19:28:39
?/ Tends to always crash VBA looking at it's stats in all foreign versions (except Japanese, haven't tested it) however p didn't do so in Gialla. (Italian Yellow) So this glitch seems to have the same effect in foreign versions as well, though the character's sprite doesn't disappear in this version, it just messes with the sound driver. Pretty interesting, it's fun to discover new things while doing another thing. xD (This is also encouraging me to continue with that glitch dex research… :V)

Date: 2013-01-15 06:57:41
My ZZAZZ video features glitch music in Pokemon Center. It also changes every 4 steps.
Link (in Pokemon Red)

Posted by: wooden leg smith
Date: 2013-01-17 21:09:30

My ZZAZZ video features glitch music in Pokemon Center. It also changes every 4 steps.
Link (in Pokemon Red)

Did you try this in Yellow? if not, I can. (will eventually. There are so many glitches I have to try out for myself it may take a while..)

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2013-02-01 19:16:56
By changing byte AF to 9F in address 3906 (in R/B), I've discovered something interesting in the first Pokemart.

Buying things from the guy behind the counter results in severe text glitches, and possible freezing.  The game isn't really able to deal with the concept of sub-menus, but it's still possible to blunder your way through it and purchase/sell items.

The interesting thing, though, is what happens once you get out of that sub-menu.  Most of the time, you'll be entered into a battle.  This is curious in that there are multiple possibilities for opponents: I've gotten "a", an Aerodactyl Missingno. at level 183 with a flipped sprite, and a glitch trainer called "PK" who crashed the game.

I've got video…but it will take a while to edit it.

Posted by: doctah_who
Date: 2013-02-02 20:28:19
I got quite an interest effect when changing AF to 9F.

At the beginning, it was basically what you described. I got a few text glitches and stuff. But, what I found really funny, was it made a series of different noises and then started playing the
harmony, slowed of course, to the final Rival battle. That may just be based off what I named my character/rival, though. Would that change any of the effects? But anyway, exited out of the buying an item sub-menu, and it began playing a slowed melody of one of the route themes. (I'm quite happy with the effects so far, playing as I type!) Then I exited out, got some more glitch text, and nothing happened. I was quite disappointed with not seeing the battle, to be honest. :/  Second time around it was all glitch text and doubled-up music. Third was just endless text. Never got said battle, but it did send me out in an imaginary door with a series of slowed battle cries. Got different cries depending on the item that I bought.

Nice little trick you discovered there.

Date: 2013-02-03 00:24:40
You want glitch battles? Just hold the A button when entering a wild battle. 50% of the time it will be glitched.

Plenty of glitch battles here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrgXWNX58Qo

Date: 2013-02-04 06:58:50
Sorry for double post, but how else could I get attention?

It's this video that brought me into the glitching world. It features the Pokedex entry of .4, which locks up the game.

After watching (and listening to) it again today, I'm certain that the looping music isn't belong to the "cry" of .4, instead being the background music changed by the cry. I want to know where this awesome glitch music comes from, but I can't figure it out. It sounds like one of the channels of the battle victory music (I forget whether it's trainer or wild battle), but it isn't exactly that.

So does anyone know the answer? Please tell me.

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2013-02-04 07:18:33

Sorry for double post, but how else could I get attention?

It's this video that brought me into the glitching world. It features the Pokedex entry of .4, which locks up the game.

After watching (and listening to) it again today, I'm certain that the looping music isn't belong to the "cry" of .4, instead being the background music changed by the cry. I want to know where this awesome glitch music comes from, but I can't figure it out. It sounds like one of the channels of the battle victory music (I forget whether it's trainer or wild battle), but it isn't exactly that.

So does anyone know the answer? Please tell me.

Which part of the video? If you mean 7:15, the music playing is the first square channel of the trainer battle victory theme, slowed down with some other sound beeping over top of it.

Date: 2013-02-04 08:24:05
I don't think so. They're similar, but their loop time are different. I think it's a pure track without other noise interrupting, as I've heard this (the exact same one) in another video. This one at about 2:00 loops the same music.