Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 16

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: camper
Date: 2013-03-12 13:03:01
But you need to get it to have no attacks.

Posted by: Thanathan
Date: 2013-03-12 13:19:05
ARcode for Missingnoencount, capture it, it has always no attacks, despite it is using some in batle. :o
[Bad English~]

Posted by: Thanathan
Date: 2013-03-12 14:19:36
So thats not actually this Glitch I was looking for.
But..the other results are interessting aswell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnOlnat0soE

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2013-03-12 15:15:13

ARcode for Missingnoencount, capture it, it has always no attacks, despite it is using some in batle. :o
[Bad English~]

It appears Missingno. and 'M have different starting moves in the German versions Rote and Blaue. They are (Move 00h), Headbutt (Kopfnuss), Sky Attack (Himmelsfeger) and Hi Jump Kick (Turmkick). If you put Missingno. as the first Pokémon in the party and enter the code 01xx78D1, you can replace the first move with whatever you want.

In the English versions, they normally have the starting moves Water Gun, Water Gun and Sky Attack.

The reason why it appears to have no attacks is because the 00h move (which has the Cooltrainer type in English versions) appears at the top of the move list and hides all of the attacks below it/disables you from moving the cursor below it. It appears that the effects of viewing the German version of 00h are more volatile than the effects in English Red/Blue and viewing the move can freeze the game more easily.

In the English Red/Blue, a number of things can happen when you view the move a) nothing b) a freeze (more common in Yellow) c) changing the wild Pokémon into Missingno. (32h) or Horsea and giving it the Freeze/Burn status (as described in my post on the General Pokémon Glitchiness thread). 'c)' can happen in German Rote and Blaue, too.

In Trainer battles, in the English and German versions if you get the Freeze/Burn effect to happen (as in 1:59) the Pokémon that was affected will be sent out again after it faints. You can repeat this.

[img]http://i.minus.com/jWWsfpOCrTfFp.png[/img] [img]http://i.minus.com/jb2nLqr7PeFFM4.png[/img]

Posted by: SuperGlitchy
Date: 2013-04-05 16:45:09
Hey, does anyone know if it's true that MISSINGNO. writes to your save file when you encounter it? I've heard that on Pokemon Stadium/2 it'll show "Saving…" On the bottom when encountering it, but I lost my transfer pak. I just don't think it's possible.

Date: 2013-04-06 06:04:54

Hey, does anyone know if it's true that MISSINGNO. writes to your save file when you encounter it? I've heard that on Pokemon Stadium/2 it'll show "Saving…" On the bottom when encountering it, but I lost my transfer pak. I just don't think it's possible.

It's true, but it doesn't write to all of the save. It only writes to the Hall of Fame data, which is separate to the main save data. So if you encounter Missingno. or send it into battle with at least 1 Hall of Fame entry and reset the game without saving, it will still be corrupted as if you saved the game.

The save also happens when playing on a handheld console, but you won't be able to see 'Saving…'. I believe this is partly the reason why there is a small delay when encountering Missingno. or 'M.

If you beat the Pokémon League for the first time after seeing Missingno. or 'M your Hall of Fame normal will be normal, showing the Pokémon you used and even glitch Pokémon if you used them.

[img]http://i.minus.com/jbnT7NX7ec1TKK.png[/img][img]http://i.minus.com/j0UR8TCbhGGuq.png[/img][img]http://i.minus.com/jWv6qBwNpR3yE.png[/img]

Beware though, simply sending Missingno. out /a similar non-hybrid glitch Pokémon or encountering them after you beat the game will corrupt the HoF. If you just view its stats from the Pkmn menu though, either in battle or from the start menu, it won't cause the corruption.

If your Hall of Fame data is corrupted, you can 'flush it out' by beating the Pokémon League 51 times, provided you don't encounter Missingno. /a similar non-hybird glitch Pokémon again or send it out in battle in between.

Posted by: SuperGlitchy
Date: 2013-04-06 09:48:22
Thanks. I always wondered why there was a small delay when encountering him. I've seen rambles on the internet "DON'T ENCOUNTER MISSINGNO. IT WRITES TO YOUR SAVE!!!1" Though, my Pokemon Red game seemed fine after I encountered it. (I haven't beaten the game.) So I wondered what part it saved to. Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

Date: 2013-04-06 10:02:41

Thanks. I always wondered why there was a small delay when encountering him. I've seen rambles on the internet "DON'T ENCOUNTER MISSINGNO. IT WRITES TO YOUR SAVE!!!1" Though, my Pokemon Red game seemed fine after I encountered it. (I haven't beaten the game.) So I wondered what part it saved to. Again, thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

You're welcome.  :)

Posted by: MrGlitch
Date: 2013-05-11 09:56:29

If your Hall of Fame data is corrupted, you can 'flush it out' by beating the Pokémon League 51 times, provided you don't encounter Missingno. /a similar non-hybird glitch Pokémon again or send it out in battle in between.

Is it possible to encounter Missingno. in a Pokemon League battle, or does that only happen if you're messing with leader rosters?

I haven't been on here for a while because I haven't been able to record glitching activity (Hypercam doesn't record audio from my sound card any more for some reason).

Date: 2013-05-11 10:30:09
Just download VBA-R and use the built-in recording function. It works well.

You should be able to encounter Missingno. in league battle with 8F, cable club escape glitch, super glitch or ZZAZZ glitch.

Date: 2013-05-12 18:07:51
I don't know how many people on here have tried messing with address 1578 in the memory viewer in R/B, but it's fun to play with and very effective.

The trick is to set the first four bytes to this (or something close to this):
08 XX 20 01

I'm currently seeing what numbers in the place of XX result in effects besides crashes. So far, 71, 82, 92, 94, and 96 are pretty interesting. All of the effects have to do with sprite data, so accessing the Pokedex or entering a battle will reveal their effects pretty obviously.

Date: 2013-05-12 21:11:26
Just one more thing I've noted:

In addition to garbling the front and back sprites of Pokemon, modifying 1578 can mess with the enemy Pokemon's moves as well.  I've gotten a Rattata with Doublekick and a Rattata with Selfdestruct so far.

Also, might someone be able to investigate what happens when the first byte of address 3906 is changed to 0F? Something very glitchy with Pokemon names, the trainer profile template, and "Too bad! The trade was cancelled!" occurs, but I have no idea what.

Date: 2013-05-19 20:48:12
Triple-post, woo!

As inspired by one of agusganog's videos, I've tried an address in a brand-new location: D35E. Something to do with location and teleporting when you change the first byte to A7…but that byte changes with the area, so it takes a few tries to get it working correctly.

There's a little bit of everything in this code…crashes, Glitch City teleportations, Safari Zone recalls, and things like this very odd credits glitch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C97TXX6Pcy0&feature=youtu.be

Let me know if the video doesn't work.

Date: 2013-05-20 07:04:15

Triple-post, woo!

As inspired by one of agusganog's videos, I've tried an address in a brand-new location: D35E. Something to do with location and teleporting when you change the first byte to A7…but that byte changes with the area, so it takes a few tries to get it working correctly.

There's a little bit of everything in this code…crashes, Glitch City teleportations, Safari Zone recalls, and things like this very odd credits glitch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C97TXX6Pcy0&feature=youtu.be

Let me know if the video doesn't work.

D35E is the map number. Try entering a door with D35E at a certain value (see here) and you will warp there. A7 (167) corresponds to the Pokémon Lab in Cinnabar Island.

There are glitchy effects when you change the byte directly and often the game will freeze, but when you change D35E to A7 in your room it loads a glitchy version of the Hall of Fame. The reason for this is related to the 'level-script pointer' (WRAM: D36E-D36F). Each map uses a certain bank (list of values in Yellow can be found here) and a 'level-script pointer', which indicates where the game should operate data in the 'background'' based on the bank.

For example, in Yellow the level script pointer for Red's House (floor 2) (id: 26h, dec: 38) is [B0, 40] and the bank for that map is 17h (dec: 23).

This means the pointer is 17:40B0, and to work out the offset you do:

romAddress = (bankNumber * 0x4000) + (twoBytePointer - 0x4000);
romAddress = (17 * 0x4000) + (B040 - 0x4000)
romAddress = 5C000 + 7040
romAddress = 63040

This happens to do nothing, but if you change the change the map, you change the bank, and therefore change the offset to the level-script function.

Examples of special level-script functions include the Hall of Fame script and Diglett's Cave entrance (Route 2/Vermilion City entrance), which constantly writes to the last exit byte, D365 to either 0Dh (dec: 13, Route 2) or 05h (Vermilion City), respectively. There are others, like Rock Tunnel as well.

Notice that if you change D35E indirectly and the game seems to continue as normal, talking to NPCs will give you different text. I suspect that this is probably related to text identifiers being exclusive to one map (see here for an explanation on why 'error' messages appear during the Trainer-Fly glitch) but I'm not 100% sure.

Date: 2013-05-20 08:14:27
Every sign/NPC has an identifier that starts with 1 in each area. (0 is for the start menu, I think)
If you change the map identifier and interact with the signs/NPCs, you'll likely see inappropriate text (like the healing message) or invalid text that ends with (id) ERROR.
Example video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STKP1XXhuxU