Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation I Glitch Discussion

Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion - Page 24

Re: Official 1st Gen (Red/Blue and Yellow) Glitch Discussion

Posted by: Patashu
Date: 2014-09-10 20:33:24
Thanks, memdump, this is a great explanation!

Posted by: OwnageMuch
Date: 2014-09-13 22:22:52

Thanks, memdump, this is a great explanation!

Yes, thank you!

Posted by: lazyfortress
Date: 2014-10-29 17:33:27
Hi.  I'm lazyfortress and this is my first post.  I need help with finding glitches.  Im only 12 and I have an interest in these sort of things, even if it means risking my $30 game cartridge.  I need all of the help I can get to catch 'M or Missingno.  Please help me and thank you!

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2014-10-29 17:49:24
Well, Mr. Fortress, you've come to the right place. Us lunatics at Glitch City love the horrible errors lurking in the murky depths of Pokémon game codes.

You don't need to worry about your cartridge though; I've never heard of one being rendered unplayable that "New Game" couldn't fix.

My personal favorite is the Yellow Version save abuse glitch, but this glitch Generation III glitch is arguably the magnum opus of glitches, shadowing even MissingNo and all his buddies. These two are great examples of glitch-related hijinks.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-10-30 17:01:05

Hi.  I'm lazyfortress and this is my first post.  I need help with finding glitches.  Im only 12 and I have an interest in these sort of things, even if it means risking my $30 game cartridge.  I need all of the help I can get to catch 'M or Missingno.  Please help me and thank you!

Hi lazyfortress, welcome to the forums.

I think you'll have no problems catching Missingno. in Red/Blue, with the right name.  I think it's really easy.

All you'll need for Missingno. is to talk to the old man in Viridian City, fly to Cinnabar Island then surf along the coast. The Pokémon that appear depend on your name, but all valid names that are more than one character long give Missingno. (the species depends on the third, fifth and seventh (as well as ninth and eleventh) characters, and directly after the end of the name is a 50h terminator; and a Pokémon whose index number is 50h is Missingno.).

'M will appear for any non-preset name (because pre-set names technically have invisible characters after the end marker). Small note; don't catch it at level 0 and have it sent to a PC, or the game will hang when you withdraw it.

If you want to catch Missingno. in Yellow, I wouldn't recommend trying to catch any of the 39 normal variants; they may freeze upon encounter. I don't know exactly what circumstances prevent a freeze, but it is random. They pretty much always (normally) stay at level 1, too.

Instead, you can get the Kabutops Fossil (hex:B6), Aerodactyl Fossil (hex:B7) and Ghost (hex:B8) Missingno. They duplicate items like the other Missingno. and are completely stable non-freezing Pokémon in Yellow.

To get the fossil and ghost Missingno. in Yellow, you can do the Ditto trick. It's harder to set up than the old man trick, but I think it's easy once you meet the requirements.

Fly away from the sight of a long-range Trainer, fight a Trainer on another route (so you need two spare Trainers), encounter a Ditto, have it transform into a Pokémon with a Special stat of 182, 183 or 184, then end the battle and return to the route to fight your Missingno.

Good luck and have fun!

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-11-07 20:11:24
Dabomstew (again) gave me an explaination of how exactly the old man glitch works, and it's actually because of how the left shore tile is designed.

So in the code, the game looks at the bottom right tile that you're to see if you can generate an encounter. When you're surfing on the tile, the game sees that you're on a water tile, so the game will give encounters. But, later on in the code, the game instead checks the bottom left tile if you're getting water or grass encounters, so since the bottom left tile is a land tile, the game gives you grass encounters. However, if the grass encounter rate is 0 (all cities), then the game checks the water encounter rate (which is 5 since you're on Route 20, and not Cinnabar Island), which explains how you can only get an encounter on that specific coast tile. Then you have the old man/player name stuff everyone knows, and you can get non-standard encounters.

So it's basically when the game looks for an encounter it thinks you're on a land tile and a water tile at the same time, so it has the land part of the tile specifying that you get grass encounters, and the water tile specifies the encounter rate, and that you can get encounters anywhere as long as the bottom left tile is a water tile.

This also explains how some of the grass tiles in Viridian Forest don't give encounters, as the bottom right tile isn't a grass tile.

[size=6pt]I swear this has been posted somewhere before…[/size]

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2014-11-08 07:58:57

Hello lazyfortress! Welcome to the forums. I, too, haven't posted much, but I can help you

For Missingno. there are a few options. Though, Missingno. In Yellow only works with 1.

1. Johto Guard Glitch - Use a pentamark (?????) hex FF in GSC and trade any of the following Pokémon under it:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Johto_guard_glitch#Conversion
Only the ones that have Missingno. Under them.

2. Mew glitch - visit http://glitchcity.info/wiki/index.php?title=Mew%20trick

Date: 2014-11-08 08:19:38

Dabomstew (again) gave me an explaination of how exactly the old man glitch works, and it's actually because of how the left shore tile is designed.

So in the code, the game looks at the bottom right tile that you're to see if you can generate an encounter. When you're surfing on the tile, the game sees that you're on a water tile, so the game will give encounters. But, later on in the code, the game instead checks the bottom left tile if you're getting water or grass encounters, so since the bottom left tile is a land tile, the game gives you grass encounters. However, if the grass encounter rate is 0 (all cities), then the game checks the water encounter rate (which is 5 since you're on Route 20, and not Cinnabar Island), which explains how you can only get an encounter on that specific coast tile. Then you have the old man/player name stuff everyone knows, and you can get non-standard encounters.

So it's basically when the game looks for an encounter it thinks you're on a land tile and a water tile at the same time, so it has the land part of the tile specifying that you get grass encounters, and the water tile specifies the encounter rate, and that you can get encounters anywhere as long as the bottom left tile is a water tile.

This also explains how some of the grass tiles in Viridian Forest don't give encounters, as the bottom right tile isn't a grass tile.

[size=6pt]I swear this has been posted somewhere before…[/size]

Sort of. I made the distinction that it's only the left-facing shore tiles that work in the past (here, see also this).

For Missingno. there are a few options. Though, Missingno. In Yellow only works with 1.

There's more than one option, because you can use the Ditto trick. Most (39) Yellow Missingno. have unstable opponent sprites that typically freeze the game, but they don't always.

This isn't a problem though, because fossil and ghost Missingno. have fully stable sprites and can be encountered all the time. They'll also duplicate your sixth item like in Red/Blue.

With the CoolTrainer move, you can get a Missingno. on the opponent's side just by opening the items menu from within battle before viewing the move.

Additionally, you can get Missingno. with the remaining HP trick, but that's not worth it.

Posted by: gskw
Date: 2014-11-21 12:50:49
As MissingNo. was brought up, I have to admit that I have had trouble encountering it.
Sometimes I find an MissingNo. or 'M, sometimes I find a Muk or a Kingler.
My character is named GSKW, from which those Pokémon come from.
When that happens, I try to fix it by flying to Viridian City and watching the PokéBall tutorial, but it doesn't help either.

Date: 2014-11-21 13:15:27

As MissingNo. was brought up, I have to admit that I have had trouble encountering it.
Sometimes I find an MissingNo. or 'M, sometimes I find a Muk or a Kingler.
My character is named GSKW, from which those Pokémon come from.
When that happens, I try to fix it by flying to Viridian City and watching the PokéBall tutorial, but it doesn't help either.

Only one character in your name would give Missingno. and that would be the terminator (50, fifth letter). If you try a name like GGGGGGG you should have much better luck. You could preferably use a name like wwwxxyy too to get the fossil and ghost Missingno, but this would not give you regular Missingno.

It's interesting that you found Muk. Did you overwrite an older name that may have had "I" as the 7th, 9th or 11th character?

Edit: I've noticed low level Pidgey from Route 1 appearing as well, so I suppose you could have been in the Pokémon Mansion, where Muk appears before.

Posted by: bbbbbbbbba
Date: 2015-02-13 03:22:22
I haven't been here for a while, and now I see there is a new flavor of Trainer-Fly, the "Viridian Forest wild encounter method". Could anyone explain to me why it works? Does it work on any other trainers in the game, and why is poisoning necessary? Thanks in advance.

Posted by: Ryccardo
Date: 2015-02-13 04:21:25

I haven't been here for a while, and now I see there is a new flavor of Trainer-Fly, the "Viridian Forest wild encounter method". Could anyone explain to me why it works? Does it work on any other trainers in the game, and why is poisoning necessary? Thanks in advance.

The generic goal is to move away from a trainer who's challenging you, confusing the game so that a battle is allegedly in progress.

In generation 1 (and even 2 IIRC, but there's no practical use there), "step or rotation should find wild Pokèmon" is processed before "Trainer walks up to you and starts speaking", just like the classic way is "draw sprites previously offscreen""process key inputs""Trainer activates"!

I haven't seen it in a while, but I don't think you must be poisoned, just generally lose against the Pokémon that covers up the trainer…

Date: 2015-02-13 09:06:13

This trick may also be called "death-warp" and was apparently found by Vimgur. Thomaz documented it in 2011 on [url=http://a popular Youtube video.

The name I gave, "Viridian Forest wild encounter method" is not very good in hindsight, because you can do the glitch with other Trainers as well.

Thomaz suggested using a Bug Catcher on Route 6 for death-warping for Red/Blue any% no save corruption. That death-warp has been used in a very recent TAS.

Details:
You have to get into a wild Pokémon battle within a Trainer's vision, example:

[img]http://i5.minus.com/ib0gfzPJ8VJgUW.png[/img]

Then lose the wild Pokémon battle before being spotted. This will make the "!" appear and encounter music to play after the blacked out music, and you will warp elsewhere.

Your last Pokémon being poisoned is not required, but poison can make it easier to lose battles against weak Pokémon. Additionally, poison (or possibly Self-Destruct etc.?) may be needed to lose a battle against a Kakuna or Metapod that can only use Harden (and infinitely due to enemy Pokémon effectively having unlimited PP).

Differences between death-warp and Trainer-Fly:
1. Ability to open the start menu straight away in death warp. In Trainer-Fly you need to beat another Trainer (on another route since you may not be able to battle anyone on the original route and I don't know if that would work anyway) or save by changing boxes and resetting the game to get the ability to open the start menu again.
2. Returning to the route (and cave?) straight away after a death warp will load the Trainer you escaped from. This is unlike Trainer-Fly where seemingly nothing happens if via you return to the place, unless you defeat a Trainer in that place by changing boxes and resetting first, which can activate the walking lag glitch. The Trainer may have a glitched speech for when you defeat them.
3. In death warping you don't need to encounter another Trainer to activate the Special stat encounter mechanic. So you could just death-warp, encounter a wild Pokémon without having to encounter a Trainer, and get the Special stat encounter when you return to the route.

^ Behaviour from Red/Blue. May be different in Yellow.

Other than those differences, the death warp glitch works just like Trainer-Fly (with the level=attack stage species=Special stat relationship) provided you encounter a Pokémon or another Trainer after death-warping.

This trick can be used to get level 100 Pokémon before Brock by encountering a level 1 medium-slow Pokémon first, video (like for Ivysaur; ID:09, you can encounter a level 4 Pidgey with a Special DV of 15  on Route 2 according to the video). This trick is not necessary for getting level 100 Pokémon before Brock quickly w/o save corruption in Yellow; there is a long-range Trainer in Viridian Forest you can Escape Rope from in Yellow (unlike Red/Blue where there are none).

Death-warping does not use up the Trainer so you can do it as many times as you like.

You also have the ability to do the Special stat encounter part of Trainer-Fly without using up both the Trainer you escape from and the Trainer you battled if you:

*Lose to the Trainer you actually battle.
*After Trainer-Flying, change boxes, beat the Elite Four and after the game resets encounter a wild Pokémon.

Hope that helps. If you have any questions let me know.

Posted by: SatoMew
Date: 2015-02-13 09:11:08
Speaking of Viridian Forest, is the behavior described in Werster's video documented? If so, is it intentional or is it another glitch?

Posted by: Ryccardo
Date: 2015-02-13 09:39:10

Speaking of Viridian Forest, is the behavior described in Werster's video documented? If so, is it intentional or is it another glitch?

It's explained in the post by luckytyphlosion at the top of the page with your post; without the video you linked I'd never have figured out what he meant by "some of the grass tiles in Viridian Forest don't give encounters, as the bottom right tile isn't a grass tile"  :)
(For that matter, I never noticed some of the "4 pairs of grass that make a tile" were different"!)

I'll have to try this in the Italian version, where surfing on beaches correctly gives water Pokémon