Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Gen III: Access Pokémon beyond the sixth slot sub-glitches. - Page 2

Re: Emerald possible new cloning glitch with pomeg?

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2014-04-17 15:33:46
I'll try it later, no problem, but the glitch Pokémon found in FR/LG through this glitch are very unexciting, producing no ill effects whatsoever.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-04-17 15:36:33

I'm afraid I can't really help you there, as over time I've renamed all of my boxes and none of them have their original names. However, in response to your question, only one of them doesn't have a Pokémon in the 21st slot, so I'd have to say yes.

OK. For what it's worth I erased my 21st Pokémon in slot 2, save and restarted. As expected, some data starting from 0x0202A824 (the start of FF's data structure) changed to 00, but apparently not all of it. I did voltage's glitch and this time I got a freeze when I viewed it (it was a Bad EGG). I don't understand how this whole data scrambling thing works. It's probably not true that never having a Pokémon in that position will cause the white Decamark glitch when you view FF, and you've likely had one there before anyway if you're using your main Emerald file, so that was a bad idea of mine.

Date: 2014-04-17 15:40:07
Ah, yes. I've forgotten to update my video…what I found since luckytyphlosion discovered cloning is that it's no longer (nor has it ever been) necessary to actually view the summary of FF. It's enough to only go as far as 'Summary/Cancel'.

Date: 2014-04-17 16:24:39
Right, I got the white Decamark effect inadvertently. I was scrolling up (down from FF) and I got a Decamark that I could send out after a considerably long amount of time, but before that I viewed the status of a Pokémon. When I sent out the Pokémon that worked (in the A|X range?) the white Decamark appeared and the game hanged.

Luckily I had a save state in battle, so I went to the exact same Decamark that I could send out and it worked the same way. I sent out my Swampert and got whited out, and then my Mew in the fifth position got cloned.

A video is coming soon.

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-04-17 16:33:14
Just something minor, you don't have to have the Pokémon at negative HP for the glitch to work; all you need is to make all your Party Pokémon fainted without whiting out.

Date: 2014-04-17 16:36:49

Just something minor, you don't have to have the Pokémon at negative HP for the glitch to work; all you need is to make all your Party Pokémon fainted without whiting out.

Though surely in order for that to happen without cheating you have to exploit the Pomeg glitch, right? You can't deposit your sixth Pokémon if all other Pokémon are fainted. Though I wonder if the glitch would work if you had your sixth Pokémon with negative HP and healed it to 0 HP? That said, if a wild Pokémon dealt damage to it (and you have to switch to it), it would cause the HP to keep going down for a long time, unless I'm mistaken.

Date: 2014-04-17 16:42:22
What I mean is you can make the Pokémon have 1 HP and use a pomeg berry instead of using a healing item at negative hp, which would save using HP UPs/getting HP EVs.

Date: 2014-04-17 16:55:08

What I mean is you can make the Pokémon have 1 HP and use a pomeg berry instead of using a healing item at negative hp, which would save using HP UPs/getting HP EVs.

Ah, OK. I think I get you, you mean having specific EVs so it just goes to 0 instead of 65535?

Date: 2014-04-17 17:10:36
Exactly.
Now, I have 2 questions:
1. Is it possible keep the "Access Pokémon beyond the sixth slot glitch" outside of battle, or to activate it in the overworld?
2. What would happen, if (hypothetically) some of the data in your glitched party translated into actual Pokémon data?

Date: 2014-04-17 17:28:15

1. Is it possible keep the "Access Pokémon beyond the sixth slot glitch" outside of battle, or to activate it in the overworld?
2. What would happen, if (hypothetically) some of the data in your glitched party translated into actual Pokémon data?

1. I don't think so. You can escape from battle using a Fluffy Tail, but unfortunately this doesn't expand the glitch. Your last switch menu position isn't saved, and your party works like just before you went into battle and sent out a Decamark. In fact, you can repeat the glitch again (send out the Decamark for a second battle or more). But saving and restarting will cause it not to work again; i.e. the first Pokémon is sent out with 0 HP.
2. Haven't been able to play around with this, sorry. Maybe they would work as expected. Not sure if their experience would rise and if this would affect say an equivalent boxed Pokémon.

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-04-17 17:34:50

Could this work in FRLG?

I'll try it later, no problem, but the glitch Pokémon found in FR/LG through this glitch are very unexciting, producing no ill effects whatsoever.

I've used a slightly different glitch (using walk through walls to fight with no pokemon).  I did get this once, and other times I've had glitch Pokémon that crash the game with a randomized sprite.  So there are some ill effects.  I'll look for my pictures of the random sprites. 

Date: 2014-04-18 03:10:34
Well first off, thanks Torchickens for the videos. Since you were wondering, I discovered the summary overload trick.  ;)

Voltage: after research last night, I can confirm that the cloning trick does indeed work on FR/LG!  :D The only difference is that your Pokémon will be healed in the center afterwards. Looking for the correct switch option is very difficult and probably brings you to about the 90th up-press or so.

I must admit I was previously mistaken about the seemingly benign nature of FR/LG's data beyond the sixth slot. While perhaps those Pokémon up until the 40th slot or so give no damaging effects, there are numerous instances of more interesting specimens.  :D

Here's a bunch of stuff I discovered last night:

-From one test only (this is liable to change), the 141th slot is the final accessible slot, causing a freeze when passed.

-With high enough slots, the same messages as in Emerald are produced: "An EGG can't battle!" and "Bad EGG has no energy for battle!"

-Some Pokémon in very high slots produce this message when attempted to be switched in: "      1    has no energy" Proceeding to then scroll upwards leads you directly to the cancel button.

-One most interesting example I found was the slot that gave this message: "  ÁÁ  has no energy left for battle!" Accessing the summary screen of this Pokémon (of "ÁÁ") gave a very volatile freeze. Extremely glitchy graphics and the usual freeze sound.

Date: 2014-04-18 07:36:15

Well first off, thanks Torchickens for the videos. Since you were wondering, I discovered the summary overload trick.  ;)

Glad you thought they came in handy. Cool, I've updated the description for that video.

Voltage: after research last night, I can confirm that the cloning trick does indeed work on FR/LG!  :D The only difference is that your Pokémon will be healed in the center afterwards. Looking for the correct switch option is very difficult and probably brings you to about the 90th up-press or so.

I must admit I was previously mistaken about the seemingly benign nature of FR/LG's data beyond the sixth slot. While perhaps those Pokémon up until the 40th slot or so give no damaging effects, there are numerous instances of more interesting specimens.  :D

Ooh, that's great! :)

Edit: I tried it on FireRed. First time I got lucky and cloned a Pokémon successfully with very few up presses. Second time I eventually found a Pokémon I could send out, but then the game hanged with a dialogue box with no message.

Date: 2014-04-18 08:48:23
It's nice to know the cloning glitch is slightly more consistent (knowing about box Pokémon).
Even though the glitch is inefficient, it can be used before the Battle Frontier, so you could duplicate TMs and Master Balls. The money loss is an annoyance though :(.

About the box Pokémon, does the box need to be full, or can it just have a Pokémon in a specific position to work?

Date: 2014-04-18 09:17:01

It's nice to know the cloning glitch is slightly more consistent (knowing about box Pokémon).
Even though the glitch is inefficient, it can be used before the Battle Frontier, so you could duplicate TMs and Master Balls. The money loss is an annoyance though :(.

About the box Pokémon, does the box need to be full, or can it just have a Pokémon in a specific position to work?

I would imagine some of the earlier values before cursor position $ED are from box data too. I think it's a good idea to have box 1 full and box 2 full up to position 21 in your playthrough for that reason. It won't guarantee the glitch will work due to the values being randomized, but it may ensure that they are not always 00. (we don't want Bad EGGs, etc. with no HP as you can't send them out)

As for FireRed, I haven't looked into any glitch position addresses yet.

Edit: Actually, it's likely there's a point at which the glitch position data is no longer box data relatively early on. I dunno if I made a math error or if the box structure deviates at some point, but what I did was this:

0x020244EC + (Pos.-1 * 0x64) = 0202984C. (box Pokémon 1 data start)
0x52487 + (Pos.-1) = 5255C
Position = D6

If my calculations are correct once you get to about the early Ds ('about' because I'm not confident with Windows Calculator avoiding remainders) the data no longer depends on box data.

Please take what I say with a pinch of salt, as I'm talking without experience here (as I've only tried box 1's last position and box 2's position 21 in Emerald). I may very well be wrong.