Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Gen III: Access Pokémon beyond the sixth slot sub-glitches. - Page 4

Re: Emerald possible new cloning glitch with pomeg?

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-04-19 10:24:55
I got "u/9 α!A/wDwA", but it froze the game. :(

Video

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2014-04-19 10:26:30
Decided to check out this glitch, and it worked perfectly.

Besides that…

Arbitrary Code anyone?

We are closer to executing arbitrary code in Emerald than we might think. After opening the stat screen of one of the glitch Pokemon beyond the sixth slot my game obviously crashed. I opened the disassembly option in VBA out of curiosity, to discover that the game jumped into RAM address $D1042900. http://i3.minus.com/jbwjJSoJJ6ghnb.png

Learning ARM assembly right now :P

Date: 2014-04-19 10:43:29
Hmm, nice TheZZAZZGlitch. Good luck on learning ARM assembly. :) If the Game Boy Advance has no problem with executing the memory as code, maybe some of the glitch moves you can get on Bad EGGs by escaping jump into code you can manipulate when you use them.

Edit: Though this may not be useful, here are the moves I got, confirming they are possible. I thought it would be interesting to list some of them. Note that the moves you get aren't constant and aren't necessarily on the same Pokémon even if you had the same Pokémon in the boxes before the glitch.

To track or modify the first move of your Pokémon currently in battle, change 16-bit addresses 02023068 and 02024090.

Box 1 position 11:

u/9α!A/wDwA - (Type Poison)

When used:

Enemy takes their turn first. Game 'hangs' before your turn, but you may throw a Pokéball sometime after so it doesn't necessarily hang.

Index number is 4049.

Box 1 position 25:

.:"G/giαAx0/ - (Type ED in su)

When used:

Game displays a long name that erases the old name on the screen to display the new one when it goes off the dialogue box. Eventually an arrow appears so you can see what's below it. Press it and another appears. Press it again and a weird, possibly unused sound effect will play. The game may freeze or reset itself.

Index number is $4038

Box 2 position 1:

ivî CE:E C - (type Poison)

When used:

Game says "(X) used a POISON move!" and then the game hangs.

Index number is $4081

Box 2 position 16:

|îë . MN PO| MN - (type y.)

When used:

Game hangs or may pause for a bit before your opponent's move.

Index number is $40A3

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-04-19 12:31:40
Here's another thing I found: an Invisible Bad EGG in my box. It's summary screen crashes the game instantly, and when sent into battle it backsprite is black and it's shiny. It also has no moves.

To remove the Bad Eggs, you have to do the Battle Frontier Cloning Glitch.

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-04-19 12:39:21

Here are the effects of the Glitch Move (the really long one, top right):

[li]After using the move, look at your Party Screen and exit out. You will now be in another battle setting.[/li]
    [li]Once, it changed it so I was in the Battle Frontier Facility where they judge you. (forget what it's called)[/li]
    [li]One time, it crashed the game.[/li]

The other glitch move (bottom right) has some less interesting effects:

[li]The move name is apparently "a DRAGON move" (possible placeholder?)[/li]
    [li]It always keeps missing, except one time where it put the foe asleep. Unfortunately, the battle animations were off so I don't know what it was really using.[/li]

I did a bit of gameshark stuff here.  The "a DRAGON move" also appears in firered. 

I used the following master code:
0000295F000A
101DC9D40007

After that, address 02022BC8 (not a gameshark code) shows your current pokemon's move while in the move selection screen in battle.  You can change it and then press select to force it to update. 

Date: 2014-04-19 13:29:03
More Glitch Moves!

— (move) - (Type Normal)

"There's no PP left for this move!". Has 0/0 PP

û          - (Type Normal)

Softlocks the game. Has 0/0 PP

Date: 2014-04-19 13:58:07
luckytyphlosion, do you mind changing the name of this thread now that we've found more to it? I could also do it, but I wanted to know if it was fine for me to do it.

I'm thinking something like "Emerald/FRLG - harder cloning glitch, get Bad EGGs and glitch moves without cheating".

Date: 2014-04-19 14:17:05
Apparently, the û          move can make Trainer Pokémon flee just by looking at it, and you can also catch Trainer Pokemon too. (Emerald Glitched category anyone?)

How do you change the title of a thread?

Date: 2014-04-19 14:24:55

Apparently, the û          move can make Trainer Pokémon flee just by looking at it, and you can also catch Trainer Pokemon too. (Emerald Glitched category anyone?)

How do you change the title of a thread?

Nice, do you know its index number? If you still have a state with that move, have it in the first position and look at 02023068 and 02024090 (index number of move) when the Pokémon that knows it is within battle.

For me, there is a "modify" button next to the name of your first post in the thread (and other posts). Do you have it?

Date: 2014-04-19 14:29:55
All my testing was on console, sorry. :(

However, Sky Shaymin has a video documenting the effect, but he/she used cheats to hack a decamark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if1xBot3fao

Re: Pokemon FRLG/E: Clone Pokémon/get Bad EGGs/Glitch Moves using Pomeg Berry!

Date: 2014-04-19 14:36:32

All my testing was on console, sorry. :(

However, Sky Shaymin has a video documenting the effect, but he/she used cheats to hack a decamark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=if1xBot3fao

Oh, I forgot that you're using a real console. Sorry about that.

Ah yes, I've seen that video before. I'll look into that. Sky Shaymin posts here as Pawny, maybe she knows more good Generation III glitch moves?

Edit: Thanks for updating the name of the thread.

Re: Pokemon FRLG/E: Clone Pokémon and get Bad EGGs/Glitch Moves using Pomeg Berry!

Posted by: Stackout
Date: 2014-04-19 14:58:20
We need a R/S/E/FR/LG RAM map.

(I doubt a disassembly project will ever happen. Gen 3 was coded in C anyway, so there'd probably be a lot of compiler-optimised code there.)

Re: Pokemon FRLG/E: Clone Pokémon and get Bad EGGs/Glitch Moves using Pomeg Berry!

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2014-04-20 04:24:15
I've informed PRAMA about all this. They might be able to help us too!  :D

http://forum.prama-initiative.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=398

Date: 2014-04-20 07:00:20
I found "= ;  Á"'s index number! It's 01CE.

It was harder than I expected. For unknown reasons, when I try to catch Rage (0x211) the game freezes on the 'do you want to give a nickname?' screen but Pawny was able to do it. I tried a new save and got the same results.

So what I did was used "Yet Another Pokémon Editor" (YAPE) to change Bulbasaur's evolution at level 16 into Deoxys (apparently it won't let you change it to most glitch Pokémon). Then, I used a program to compare what was changed, and saw at 0x325348 is the relevant word that says what species it evolves into, which was changed to Deoxys. It's stored in reverse byte order, so instead of 01 9A it's "9A 01". So I changed it to 11 02 (0x211 in reverse).

This wasn't the only thing I had to do though. When Bulbasaur evolves into Rage, it goes to level 0, but use the code 02024540:1C and it'll stay at level 28, and learn = ;  Á (you have to make sure it has three moves for the game not to freeze).

When I try = ;  Á on the Elite Four, simply entering the fight menu and exiting it will end the battle.

Date: 2014-04-20 08:22:12
I've posted a video on fleeing with Bad EGG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy5Sd-Z3J4A

What happens when you go to the HoF with a Bad EGG?