Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Gen III: Access Pokémon beyond the sixth slot sub-glitches. - Page 39

Re: Gen III: Access Pokémon beyond the sixth slot sub-glitches.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2016-10-11 14:17:50

On a slightly unrelated note I noticed that Pal Park didn't label the Caterpie perfect initiator holding a glitch item as invalid. I didn't choose to migrate it, but it makes me wonder whether transferring 0x1C7 (Azure Flute) is in fact possible and if that would work for obtaining Arceus in Diamond/Pearl?

This will not work. You need to set the correct flag via ACE in gen 4 or getting it from a PokéMart. Getting just the item will not do anything.

I see, like with the Generation III tickets then. Thanks.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2016-10-12 08:41:07

On a slightly unrelated note I noticed that Pal Park didn't label the Caterpie perfect initiator holding a glitch item as invalid. I didn't choose to migrate it, but it makes me wonder whether transferring 0x1C7 (Azure Flute) is in fact possible and if that would work for obtaining Arceus in Diamond/Pearl?

This will not work. You need to set the correct flag via ACE in gen 4 or getting it from a PokéMart. Getting just the item will not do anything.

I see, like with the Generation III tickets then. Thanks.

No problem. Also, when I tryed the cheat codes for activating the Member 's Card in a PokéMart, the event didn't trigger no matter what. The Azure Flute one worked.

Date: 2016-10-12 11:42:36
Just going to show off my baby, aww.

[img]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/Torchickens/Dots%20the%20Celebi.png[/img]

It feels so much better getting success on cartridge.

EVs on Dots were:

1 Speed
93 Defense
251 HP
0 Attack

And it underwent a double corruption so I could get the Oak's Parcel.

I now have three Celebi like this, one is exactly like the one above; the other is a level 5 that was hatched from an Egg.

Date: 2016-10-12 14:57:07
Awwww, now it's just getting a decent moveset.
Wait, maybe you can glitch FR\LG with this parcel a bit, attempt trading it over, then grabbing the parcel, and try to give it to Oak. I want to see what happens.

Date: 2016-10-12 15:16:35

Awwww, now it's just getting a decent moveset.
Wait, maybe you can glitch FR\LG with this parcel a bit, attempt trading it over, then grabbing the parcel, and try to give it to Oak. I want to see what happens.

Yeah. :) Sadly you're not allowed to trade until you've received the Pokédex (according to Bulbapedia), but would like to see if having it on FireRed/LeafGreen can cause anything else to happen after you've delivered it.

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2016-10-12 18:05:57

Just going to show off my baby, aww.

[img]http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj640/Torchickens/Dots%20the%20Celebi.png[/img]

It feels so much better getting success on cartridge.

EVs on Dots were:

1 Speed
93 Defense
251 HP
0 Attack

And it underwent a double corruption so I could get the Oak's Parcel.

Adorbs. That's on GameCube, right?

Related to the invalid genders, I see some sort of a pattern, lots of effects repeat or are the May/Leaf variant of these.

I'd love to see some examples, if you get a chance.

I was also curious about transferring Glitch Items to Colosseum/XD in order to get some Rare Items inherent to these versions (if one of them could be useful in a certain way).

Glitch Moves can all go through Pal Park, but no Glitch Pokémon can (theoretically, based on what I tried).

I did some testing years ago on console to try and exploit some glitches, but XD: Gale of Darkness is reeeally tough to glitch. As it happens, I didn't specifically manage to test glitch items as I hadn't yet figured out how to obtain them by that stage, but judging from the results I found (in the link), they would either disappear on arrival into XD or be invalid/unable to be traded, etc. http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6868.msg195390#msg195390

EDIT: As it turns out, I in fact did try send a glitch item (????????/"Octomarks") to XD: Gale of Darkness. It was indeed unable to be traded. http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6868.msg195057#msg195057

There's one thing I keep meaning to say every time I read all of your descriptions: a better translation for 'exemplaire' in English would be 'copy' - e.g. 'a copy of item X'. Otherwise, everything else is always easy to understand - and thanks so much for going to all of this incredible effort.  ;)

Also, now that I went through my old posts looking for my research on XD: Gale of Darkness, I found this old thread of mine. Seeing as you now know almost all there is to know about glitch decorations, is there anything more you could say about this Japanese-exclusive glitch? http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=7006

And another thing, has anybody tested this (hatching 19C from a corrupted Egg)? Just realised that I'm still kinda curious about it after two years.  :P http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6868.msg195578#msg195578

And finally, I don't know if this is relevant to anyone, but in case you weren't aware, it's possible to send Pokemon with glitch moves from Emerald to Ruby/Sapphire (without the game crashing during the trade) by bypassing the trade altogether via Pokemon Box: Ruby & Sapphire. As far as I know, there may well by now be a better method of avoiding those crashes, but I figure it's worth throwing out there. 8) http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6868.msg195747#msg195747

Date: 2016-10-13 06:16:08
Yes, it's a screenshot from my Dazzle capture device with Pokémon Emerald run on a Game Boy Player.

Date: 2016-10-13 07:42:25

Related to the invalid genders, I see some sort of a pattern, lots of effects repeat or are the May/Leaf variant of these.

I'd love to see some examples, if you get a chance.

http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=7674.0
Here you are, 20 hexes of pure joy.

Date: 2016-10-13 08:03:10
Aha, I getcha, so it's like the 'Guess Who?' glitch via the Slateport Fan Club Reporter. Do any of the glitch genders cause any other adverse effects apart from crashing?

Posted by: Metarkrai
Date: 2016-10-13 08:23:56

I did some testing years ago on console to try and exploit some glitches, but XD: Gale of Darkness is reeeally tough to glitch. As it happens, I didn't specifically manage to test glitch items as I hadn't yet figured out how to obtain them by that stage, but judging from the results I found (in the link), they would either disappear on arrival into XD or be invalid/unable to be traded, etc. http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6868.msg195390#msg195390

EDIT: As it turns out, I in fact did try send a glitch item (????????/"Octomarks") to XD: Gale of Darkness. It was indeed unable to be traded. http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6868.msg195057#msg195057

There's one thing I keep meaning to say every time I read all of your descriptions: a better translation for 'exemplaire' in English would be 'copy' - e.g. 'a copy of item X'. Otherwise, everything else is always easy to understand - and thanks so much for going to all of this incredible effort.  ;)

Also, now that I went through my old posts looking for my research on XD: Gale of Darkness, I found this old thread of mine. Seeing as you now know almost all there is to know about glitch decorations, is there anything more you could say about this Japanese-exclusive glitch? http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=7006

And another thing, has anybody tested this (hatching 19C from a corrupted Egg)? Just realised that I'm still kinda curious about it after two years.  :P http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6868.msg195578#msg195578

And finally, I don't know if this is relevant to anyone, but in case you weren't aware, it's possible to send Pokemon with glitch moves from Emerald to Ruby/Sapphire (without the game crashing during the trade) by bypassing the trade altogether via Pokemon Box: Ruby & Sapphire. As far as I know, there may well by now be a better method of avoiding those crashes, but I figure it's worth throwing out there. 8) http://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6868.msg195747#msg195747

Okay, so trading Glitch Items to XD doesn't seem to be doable in the first place. I had a vague memory of seeing this said by someone (maybe your posts), but I wasn't sure if some potentially interesting items were tradeable or not.

Thanks for the language correction. I thought that "exemplary" was more adapted to the situation, but I'll go with 'copy' now.
At first, I was writing some procedures in French then translating them in english, but it turned out to be easier to start in english and then go back to french. I also have many things only written in english now, and a part of my viewers ask me for a french translation :p (I made a huge file for that but it's still a work in progress).

I didn't remember about this nice glitch with decorations on Jap RS. As we can see in the video, the odd interaction with the crumbling statue and the poster in Jap RS can cause a tile to be changed to a walkable tile.
However, this doesn't affect the tiles where decorations can be placed (it's still considered as a wall).
Glitch Decorations have this annoying habit of screwing the camera, making you oftenly unable to exit the secret base. They also don't have a sprite (when placed somewhere, you can't find them unless you use the PC in "Deposit mode"), and all the ones that I could place (some couldn't) and that allowed me to leave the secret base didn't seem to have any kind of interaction (Holding A when facing the decoration didn't do anything).
Some glitch decorations may have an interesting interaction (I don't know how the game manages that.), and we may be able to place them in a secret base with ACE. (I couldn't find where and how placed decorations where managed, unfortunately), this is still unknown.

Many thanks for making me learn that glitch moves couldn't be traded to RS with normal trades (even if it's a hindrance) as I thought that it was possible.
This means that only strings of 24 bytes can be written safely on a Pokémon (overwriting Miscellanous and EVs substructures) to be traded to RS with normal trades.
I'll test it for an ACE Glitch Move (see if they can be traded, and test it with an Egg) to see if there could be a way to make things work.
If not, then Pokémon Box will be required for ACE on RS, which will increase the requirements.

Regarding Pokémon 0x19C (Egg), the Egg of an Egg hatches into an Egg.
You can even do Eggs of your Egg with Eggs, and they will hatch into more Eggs.
I ended up with Egg multiple times when playing with AR codes when I was a kid (mainly because I was using codes for US versions on a French one and without an Anti-DMA) and I played a bit with them (even though they are weak as hell).
I screwed one of my files by breeding an Egg and something, and obtaining an Egg that crashed my game during the hatching sequence. The issue was that the Egg only needed a few steps to hatch, and even by flying to a Pokémon center I couldn't reach the PC without hatching the Egg.
Thus, I was forced to start a new file. I think I lost 3 Emerald, 3 Fr and 1 Lg files due to AR (the last one is a save tranfer issue, the others are idiotic code uses).

My explanation for that issue is that one of the parents had its species messed up (and turned into a Bad Egg) while the old man was waiting to give me its Egg, because I was using codes without the Anti-DMA.

Yeah. :) Sadly you're not allowed to trade until you've received the Pokédex (according to Bulbapedia), but would like to see if having it on FireRed/LeafGreen can cause anything else to happen after you've delivered it.

You can still skip a lot of the story by getting some Rare Items early (HM Cut, Scope Sylph, PokéFlute, maybe Sevii Ticket, VS Seeker, Tea,..)
However, the game doesn't check your Rare Items when reviving fossils (it only works with flags), so bringing Helix + Dome or multiple Dome/Helix/Amber will not allow you to revive more Pokémon.

It is also possible to not be able to receive the Tea at all : by completing something in the story (maybe Sylph Scope or Pokemon Tower), the flags of Celadon's old woman change and she will not give you Tea (if you didn't have it yet).
I screwed a Fire Red file because of this (unable to go to Saffron, as I didn't have a code to get all fly locations, teleport nor to walk on walls)

You could also potentially softlock your game by having too many Rare Items.
If another NPC was to give you a Rare Item when your bag is full, I don't know if you could pick it or if it would overwrite the last Rare Item. In both cases, you could use that to not obtain/lose a mandatory Rare Item and get stuck.

Regarding the XPloder codes you wanted, I've sent you the beginning (to force the DMA) on skype.

Date: 2016-10-13 08:33:31
I see, nice. ^^ The way you can skip getting the Silph Scope and Poké Flute reminds me of the Poké Doll Marowak ghost skip in Generation I.

Thank you very much for the code Metarkrai!

Date: 2016-10-13 08:45:03

Aha, I getcha, so it's like the 'Guess Who?' glitch via the Slateport Fan Club Reporter. Do any of the glitch genders cause any other adverse effects apart from crashing?

Well, if getting attacked by birds after using Fly counts…

Date: 2016-10-14 03:18:30
Thanks for the language correction. I thought that "exemplary" was more adapted to the situation, but I'll go with 'copy' now.
At first, I was writing some procedures in French then translating them in english, but it turned out to be easier to start in english and then go back to french. I also have many things only written in english now, and a part of my viewers ask me for a french translation :p (I made a huge file for that but it's still a work in progress).

I'm curious as to why you find it easier, actually. Do you live in a French-speaking country at the moment, or would you mostly use English in your day-to-day life? I speak some French, Spanish and Irish (not as well as your English) but I don't think I would ever be able to use any of them over English if I had to describe something in detail to people.  :P

Oh, one small thing I just remembered is that 'identifier' rather than 'identifiant' would be better.

Glitch Decorations have this annoying habit of screwing the camera, making you oftenly unable to exit the secret base. They also don't have a sprite (when placed somewhere, you can't find them unless you use the PC in "Deposit mode"), and all the ones that I could place (some couldn't) and that allowed me to leave the secret base didn't seem to have any kind of interaction (Holding A when facing the decoration didn't do anything).

I've managed to obtain one in Emerald, but of course I can't remember the very glitchy name, and I don't have my Pokemon games with me until I go back to Ireland in June.  :)

Just like you said, it was invisible and adjusted the camera (I was able to see like 8 tiles further into the void than normal), but didn't do anything important.

Some glitch decorations may have an interesting interaction (I don't know how the game manages that.), and we may be able to place them in a secret base with ACE. (I couldn't find where and how placed decorations where managed, unfortunately), this is still unknown.

What kind of interesting interaction?

Yeah, I actually overlooked that it wouldn't be easy to actually obtain glitch decorations in JP R/S even if they did something cool.  :P

Many thanks for making me learn that glitch moves couldn't be traded to RS with normal trades (even if it's a hindrance) as I thought that it was possible.
This means that only strings of 24 bytes can be written safely on a Pokémon (overwriting Miscellanous and EVs substructures) to be traded to RS with normal trades.

Had you tried to trade between R/S and Emerald on an emulator before?

Regarding Pokémon 0x19C (Egg), the Egg of an Egg hatches into an Egg.
You can even do Eggs of your Egg with Eggs, and they will hatch into more Eggs.

So in some cases, it's just a neverending loop of the same type of Egg hatching from the same type of Egg after the same amount of steps?

And you can breed this type of Egg (with a Ditto, I'm assuming)? That's honestly hilarious.

I ended up with Egg multiple times when playing with AR codes when I was a kid (mainly because I was using codes for US versions on a French one and without an Anti-DMA) and I played a bit with them (even though they are weak as hell).
I screwed one of my files by breeding an Egg and something, and obtaining an Egg that crashed my game during the hatching sequence. The issue was that the Egg only needed a few steps to hatch, and even by flying to a Pokémon center I couldn't reach the PC without hatching the Egg.
Thus, I was forced to start a new file. I think I lost 3 Emerald, 3 Fr and 1 Lg files due to AR (the last one is a save tranfer issue, the others are idiotic code uses).

I'll make sure not to save if I ever end up breeding a 19C Egg then, wow.

Surely there must have been an AR code available to delete Pokemon from your party?

Well, if getting attacked by birds after using Fly counts…

Fun times.

Date: 2016-10-14 12:34:16

I'm curious as to why you find it easier, actually. Do you live in a French-speaking country at the moment, or would you mostly use English in your day-to-day life? I speak some French, Spanish and Irish (not as well as your English) but I don't think I would ever be able to use any of them over English if I had to describe something in detail to people.  :P

Oh, one small thing I just remembered is that 'identifier' rather than 'identifiant' would be better.

I'm currently living in France, and I don't use english in my daily life.
No, I prefer using english to first write some procedures because all the structure and explanations at every step are made when I write the procedure for the first time.
When I start writing everything in french, I have trouble translating certain expressions/explanations, and I spend quite some time adapting the procedure in english.
Whereas in the reverse situation, once the procedure is written in english translating it to french is a lot easier to me (adapting some explanations is easier).

I've managed to obtain one in Emerald, but of course I can't remember the very glitchy name, and I don't have my Pokemon games with me until I go back to Ireland in June.  :)

Just like you said, it was invisible and adjusted the camera (I was able to see like 8 tiles further into the void than normal), but didn't do anything important.

If you managed to obtain one, that was one of the 7 glitch decorations you can obtain with a Pomeg Glitch corruption. I don't remember their identifiers, but they don't do anything interesting.

What kind of interesting interaction?

I have no idea. It was just a speculation that some glitch decorations (if we place them with ACE) could be interactive (I don't know how this is managed), and that their script pointer could do nice things/point to RAM.

Had you tried to trade between R/S and Emerald on an emulator before?

For a long time (at least even before I went here) I rarely used direct trades on emulator. I was copy/pasting the data of the Pokémon I wanted to move from save to save with the Memory Viewer.
Since species name aren't displayed during trades, I thought that glitch Pokémon could be traded.
But it turns out that many issues arise with trades, which will complicate things even more.

Glitch Moves can only be traded if their name lenght is lower than the usual name lenght on each game. (Both games read and write the glitch move's name during the trade).
Any Glitch Move can be still traded if the Pokémon who knows them is in an Egg.

Glitch Pokémon don't seem to be tradeable from Emerald (probably because of their animation). I don't know if some Glitch Pokémon bypass that.
Any Glitch Pokémon can be traded from Emer to FrLg if the said Pokémon is in an Egg and if a double-corruption is performed on the Egg. (Or trade the Pokémon required for a double corruption and do it on FrLg, until you obtain a cloning glitch Pokémon that will easen things in multiple ways).
For RS, only Glitch Pokémon that don't freeze/crash the game when hatched can be traded (else, the game would freeze/crash on hatching).

This will be really annoying for applications on FrLg and RS. (Shinyhunting on RS Trainer Tower, shinyhunting Ghost Marowak, receiving a Bootstrap Pokémon)
Also, when corrupting a Pokémon once and hatching the Egg to get a certain Glitch Move, Moves n°2 and n°4 would end up corrupted (usually, 0x4000 and 0x4000, or 0x4505 for in-game traded Plusle because it has contest stats).
These moves can't be removed unless you use day care, which can take some time because you would need to wait until the Pokémon learns 2-3 moves.
I will check if I have a countermeasure to make things a bit easier, in order to lessen the hindrance of that issues with trades.

So in some cases, it's just a neverending loop of the same type of Egg hatching from the same type of Egg after the same amount of steps?

And you can breed this type of Egg (with a Ditto, I'm assuming)? That's honestly hilarious.

Well, due to too many "Eggs" the message became messy.
Eggs containing the Egg Poké will hatch normally, and the Egg Poké will come out.
This Egg Poké also happens to have a valid Egg Group and it can be bred with Ditto.
Eggs made with Ditto and the Egg Poké will contain an Egg Poké.

In my case (when I lost my save), I think that because I used some AR codes without Anti-DMA, an AR code (the one to hatch pokémon faster) messed up with the data of one of my parents, and turned it into a Bad Egg.
Thus, the species of the offspring became different. A Glitch Pokémon whose hatching animation freezes the game was inside the Egg.
And I happened to screw myself by saving a few steps before hatching the Egg (maybe because I wanted to see the hatching again, something like that).

I was also a complete beginner in AR codes. I couldn't do them myself and I didn't have very complete code lists. Thus, I had no code to save myself from this situation (open the PC by talking to a NPC and hitting R, erase a party Pokémon).

But if you normally do Eggs with the Egg Pokémon, you won't have any issue. Same thing with any Glitch Pokémon that can be bred and that doesn't crash/freeze the game during the hatching sequence.

Date: 2016-10-16 11:14:11
Okay, after some thinking, trades are no longer a big issue to the transfer of Glitch Moves/Pokémon to RS/FrLg.
I wrote a paste to summarize every case : http://pastebin.com/237FpUTf
I'll try to make a video about it, since some of the procedures I had required having Glitch Moves/Pokémon in RSFrLg (especially Shinyhunting in RS Trainer Tower).

Basically, everything works well except the transfer of Glitch Pokémon on RS. (Only those that can hatch without crashing can be efficiently transferred)

Regarding ACE :
- The ACE Glitch Move can be transferred since it comes down to transferring a Glitch Move.
- The Bootstrap Pokémon can be transferred if we corrupt its TID to turn it into an Egg (the Bootstrap isn't stored on PPs nor Friendship, so it will not be affected by a TID corruption)
- Glitch Items can be transferrer without issues (their full names are never read except in Berry/Tm Pouches)
- The two Glitch Pokémon required to call the overworld script subroutine can be transferred if we corrupt their TID to turn them into Eggs. (the code stored on these Pokémon isn't stored over PPs nor Friendship, so it will not be affected by a TID corruption).

The main downside would be a new risk to get confused between each Egg, since their only disinguishable parts would be their nickname and their markings.
Thus, instead of having two Pokémon to call the overworld script subroutine, it could be interesting to have three of them. (One that stored the 32-byte code, one that stores the adress of the overworld script subroutine, one that stored the adress of the 1st PC Item with a certain DMA translation).
This way, the second and third Pokémon would only have their EVs manipulated, and wouldn't have Glitch Moves/wouldn't be Glitch Pokémon. Thus, they could be distinguished with Held Items, the procedure would even be a bit simpler, and the amount of Eggs on a RS/FrLg cart would be lessened.

- EDIT :
In FrLg, the in-game traded Lickitung can be turned into a Corruption Initiator.

Thus, turning Heart Caterpie into an Egg is not necessary for FrLg, which reduces the amount of Eggs you would have to 1 (the Egg of the Pokémon storing the main part of the code to call the overworld scripts subroutine).
This in-game traded Lickitung can also be used as a corruption initiator on Emerald (you just need to give it 6 Pokéblocks and 1 Calcium, which is faster than double-corrupting Horsea + …).

The 32-bytes long code also works on Emerald (tested on French Emerald) as expected, but didn't work on RS.
However, Wack0's initial code for RS happens to be 32-bytes long if you offset the 2 variables that depend on the RS version :

; fasmarm syntax
processor cpu32_v4t ; ARMv4t (GBA cpu)
thumb ; we don't want an ARM-mode payload
; code starts below
push {r0-r1, lr} ; save r0, r1, lr to stack
; is this our first time? if so, run the payload
lsrs r1,24
cmp r1,8
beq run_payload
; we're being called a second time, just remove the task
ldr r1, [move_anim_task_del+8]
bl _call_via_r1
pop {r0-r1, pc}
run_payload:
; actual payload here
ldr r1, [script_run+8]
ldr r0, [script_vmip]
bl _call_via_r1
pop {r0-r1, pc}

_call_via_r1:
bx r1

script_vmip:
dw 0x02033F70 ; adress on PC Pokémon data to easily test 25 10 11 02 (triggers credits)
move_anim_task_del:
dw 0x08075DB9
script_run:
dw 0x080659E5

Thus, the main 32-bytes of this code can be stored on a Pokémon's data (this Pokémon then being turned into an Egg with a TID corruption), and the two remaining double-words can be stored on two separate Pokémon (first double-word of their EVs substructure).

The main 32-byte part of the code would be different than the one for E/FrLg, but this would still be fine.

However, two other Pokémon would be needed for RS :
-One that stores a 32-bytes long code to set the quantity of a certain PC Item to 0x0000 (in order to be able to write overworld scripts easily with PC Items, as well as other codes).
-One that stores the main part of the loop (with a jump towards the adress of PC Item n°1), in order to execute longer codes (because every code in RS needs that loop to be executed well, and the place left for the payload is really tiny).

The adresses of move_anim_task_del differ between each language, Ruby and Sapp, and v1.2 and 1.0, which makes more cases than with E/FrLg.
I also need to look for ACE Glitch Moves for every RS game, because there are no low identifier glitch moves that do the job (glitch moves with identifiers below 0x2000 generally share their effects/animation pointers with all the different language versions, which makes them quite useful for that kind of task) For now, I only have ones for Ruby Fr and Ruby US.