Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Gen III: Access Pokémon beyond the sixth slot sub-glitches. - Page 5

Re: Pokemon FRLG/E: Clone Pokémon and get Bad EGGs/Glitch Moves using Pomeg Berry!

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-04-20 09:35:00

I've posted a video on fleeing with Bad EGG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy5Sd-Z3J4A

What happens when you go to the HoF with a Bad EGG?

Great work! Maybe glitch moves that let you escape from battle aren't that uncommon?

I'm not sure what happens when you go to the Hall of Fame with a Bad EGG. I'll try to hack 01CE on to it (not just changing the in battle moves, though 01CE does allow you to escape from battle when my Swampert used it, and it got into the Hall of Fame with no noticeable side effects) to test it. The Pokémon data substructure order depends on the personality value modulo 24, and move 1 is part of the 'A' substructure; one of four. Normally, you'd have to change the checksum, but since we're already dealing with a Bad EGG, it probably doesn't matter.

Re: Pokemon FRLG/E: Clone Pokémon and get Bad EGGs/Glitch Moves using Pomeg Berry!

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2014-04-20 10:22:09
Oh my god this is the pinnacle of Gen 3 glitching!

It was harder than I expected. For unknown reasons, when I try to catch Rage (0x211) the game freezes on the 'do you want to give a nickname?' screen but Pawny was able to do it. I tried a new save and got the same results.

That's Firered right? Although I don't exactly remember it freezing (bad memory), I actually caught mine in Emerald and traded it to Firered, so I assume it was because of that freeze. Iirc it has Drizzle in Emerald, but its ability changes to Cacophony (the unused one) in FRLG.

Date: 2014-04-20 10:38:18

It was harder than I expected. For unknown reasons, when I try to catch Rage (0x211) the game freezes on the 'do you want to give a nickname?' screen but Pawny was able to do it. I tried a new save and got the same results.

That's Firered right? Although I don't exactly remember it freezing (bad memory), I actually caught mine in Emerald and traded it to Firered, so I assume it was because of that freeze. Iirc it has Drizzle in Emerald, but its ability changes to Cacophony (the unused one) in FRLG.

I tried to catch it using the wild encounter modifier code in Emerald, like in your video, but had the game either freeze or reset. Thinking about it, I could have tried to see if 0x211 froze on FireRed and traded it over instead of ROM hacking. Strangely, while 0x211's ability was Drizzle as a wild Pokémon, it changed to Swift Swim when I evolved it from Bulbasaur and viewed the first page of its summary.

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-04-20 10:51:23
Now that you can get "Super Glitch" moves in Emerald, what if you had a Smeargle use sketch on the BAD EGG (like Pawny did in her "DPP Super Glitch Video") and migrated the Smeargle to Gen 4, and possibly used Poké Transfer to transfer it to Gen 5, and then to Gen 6 through Pokémon Bank???

inb4 XY glitched category

Date: 2014-04-20 11:11:00

Now that you can get "Super Glitch" moves in Emerald, what if you had a Smeargle use sketch on the BAD EGG (like Pawny did in her "DPP Super Glitch Video") and migrated the Smeargle to Gen 4, and possibly used Poké Transfer to transfer it to Gen 5, and then to Gen 6 through Pokémon Bank???

Is it possible to get into a double battle with Bad EGG and a Smeargle? Double battle Trainers in Emerald will only battle you if you have two non-fainted Pokémon.

If you had a Skitty with Assist, maybe you could have it call a glitch move and have Smeargle Sketch it from there? I'm not sure. Even if that's possible, Sketch cannot copy Struggle (and Sketch itself I think), so maybe there's a possibility it will fail.

By the way, entering the Hall of Fame with a Bad EGG is indeed possible. I just did it with no cheats with the "| { (down arrow) []" move. Simply viewing its name turns the battle mode into Prof. Birch's mode ("PROF BIRCH: Don't leave me like this!") and if you can catch your opponent's Pokémon you obtain a new Bad EGG (lol) and then the battle ends.

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-04-20 11:23:03
You can find wild Smeargle in Artisan Cave in Emerald (In the Battle Frontier)

Date: 2014-04-20 11:28:56

You can find wild Smeargle in Artisan Cave in Emerald (In the Battle Frontier)

Oh. That's good to know. By the way, you can escape from battle with "| { (down arrow) []" using a Fluffy Tail instead of catching your opponent. The game says you "forfeited" but you can still continue. I don't know its index number yet because it was the last move and for some reason it was impossible to scroll down to it.

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2014-04-20 11:46:06
I've decided to evacuate all the valuable contents of my Emerald cartridge to Box: R/S so I can get on with glitching there.

It seems that the Bad Egg keeps the item of the Pokémon it 'morphed' from. Also, the Poké ball the Bad Egg appears in also seems to come from its former Pokémon. I have a hunch that the glitch moves appear according to the move that was there before - so maybe getting the right glitch move could be similar to item mutation in Yellow with p Pkmn p.

It could also be important to check out notable glitch moves with and without animations on - I found that "a ROCK move" hits the user and proceeds normally without animations; but with them, the game hangs, the battle music slows down gradually until a sudden freeze occurs.

Date: 2014-04-20 11:48:59

I tried to catch it using the wild encounter modifier code in Emerald, like in your video, but had the game either freeze or reset. Thinking about it, I could have tried to see if 0x211 froze on FireRed and traded it over instead of ROM hacking. Strangely, while 0x211's ability was Drizzle as a wild Pokémon, it changed to Swift Swim when I evolved it from Bulbasaur and viewed the first page of its summary.

Eh? I just caught it on Emerald (VBA-M SVN1197):
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/tyCgBTZ.png[/img]

Did you use the same code from the video's description? If so, did you disable every other code? I remember its (M) code (which I included together) conflicts with other codes for some reason.

I'm 100% sure it does not make it through bank (they have a silly hack check but it blocks obvious things). Idk about Pokétransfer, but Pal Park has no hack checks whatsoever.

WAIT. Maybe the Super Glitch videos could be done legitimately! I hadn't noticed this was Torchikens' point the whole time! (if it was, lol)

Date: 2014-04-20 11:54:44
Yes. I used the exact same codes and disabled every other code. It's not the first time I've seen this kind of thing though. In FireRed there was a Decamark, hex: $281D (thanks Pokechu22 for telling me about it and its summary screen glitch) that freezes before battle on my 'complete' save, but works perfectly from a fresh save.

Shall I send you my battery file so you can see if I'm just doing something wrong?

Date: 2014-04-20 12:10:50
Sure. But I've uploaded my own battery, my VBA version and a save state with the codes in an archive, just in case.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hgrzrfz2tq0z8s/VBA%20RAGE.zip

Date: 2014-04-20 12:14:16

Sure. But I've uploaded my own battery, my VBA version and a save state with the codes in an archive, just in case.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3hgrzrfz2tq0z8s/VBA%20RAGE.zip

Ta :). I'll try catching it on your save too.

https://mega.co.nz/#!AhEXiQjA!1ARmkCndV0N-DqRL3wUABIqKMuAnlRlTMvHsYPh7VRU

Edit: On your emulator, I can't get the cheats to work for some reason (nothing happens). On mine with your save I get the same problem. It registers Flygon's entry, but afterwards the game resets itself when it finishes saying "Give a nickname to the captured ???????????" It uses Flygon's picture at that stage, if that matters.

Date: 2014-04-20 12:26:06
Worked fine on your file.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zxjoutJ.png[/img]

Date: 2014-04-20 12:31:06

Worked fine on your file.

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/zxjoutJ.png[/img]

OK, I guess it's the emulator then. Can you try it on this please? (it's the version I was using) https://code.google.com/p/vba-rerecording/downloads/detail?name=vba-v24m-svn-r422.7z&can=2&q= (to load the save file, put it in the 'battery' folder)

Date: 2014-04-20 12:42:36
Yeah, I tested both on that one and on the v24m-480 and both reset.