Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Gen III: Access Pokémon beyond the sixth slot sub-glitches. - Page 3

Re: Emerald possible new cloning glitch with pomeg?

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-04-18 17:25:12

Well first off, thanks Torchickens for the videos. Since you were wondering, I discovered the summary overload trick.  ;)

Voltage: after research last night, I can confirm that the cloning trick does indeed work on FR/LG!  :D The only difference is that your Pokémon will be healed in the center afterwards. Looking for the correct switch option is very difficult and probably brings you to about the 90th up-press or so.

I must admit I was previously mistaken about the seemingly benign nature of FR/LG's data beyond the sixth slot. While perhaps those Pokémon up until the 40th slot or so give no damaging effects, there are numerous instances of more interesting specimens.  :D

Here's a bunch of stuff I discovered last night:

-From one test only (this is liable to change), the 141th slot is the final accessible slot, causing a freeze when passed.

I feel that it is partially randomized.  I haven't done many tests, but it changes.  It does remain the same if you exit and reopen the stats menu, but not if you leave the battle (to the best of my knowledge)

-With high enough slots, the same messages as in Emerald are produced: "An EGG can't battle!" and "Bad EGG has no energy for battle!"

-Some Pokémon in very high slots produce this message when attempted to be switched in: "      1    has no energy" Proceeding to then scroll upwards leads you directly to the cancel button.

-One most interesting example I found was the slot that gave this message: "  ÁÁ  has no energy left for battle!" Accessing the summary screen of this Pokémon (of "ÁÁ") gave a very volatile freeze. Extremely glitchy graphics and the usual freeze sound.

I'm going to have to predict that the changed names are just a side-effect.  The volatile freeze and the name were separate.  I've seen Decamarks with different names, such as .  They seem to randomize.  In addition, stats randomize as well.  Most of them are 0. 

Note that my research was with walk through walls, and on a new game.  So it may be slightly different. 

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2014-04-18 17:42:26
I feel that it is partially randomized.  I haven't done many tests, but it changes.  It does remain the same if you exit and reopen the stats menu, but not if you leave the battle (to the best of my knowledge)

It most certainly is very random. I find that it may actually change after returning to the battle and back into switching in some cases.

I'm going to have to predict that the changed names are just a side-effect.  The volatile freeze and the name were separate.  I've seen Decamarks with different names, such as .  They seem to randomize.  In addition, stats randomize as well.  Most of them are 0. 

The two (strange names and freezes) seem to correlate often, but not always. So far, all crazy glitched names have caused unproductive crashes, but many summaries of seemingly normal glitch Pokémon also cause frozen blackouts and such.

With regard to stats, the Pokémon that gives the message "      1    has no energy" will display its Special ATK and Special DEF as ?35 each the first time when viewed, but if viewed again, it will revert to a normal Decamarks with 0 in each stat. (FR/LG)

Date: 2014-04-18 17:44:22
On the topic of the FR/LG summary overload, you may be interested (or frustrated) to know that there is no pattern apparent in the game's handling of extra-maximum health.

My Arcanine, poisoned down to near 1000 HP, will display these glitchy effects, and its summary screen is very volatile. My Chansey at 65,535 HP will also cause the same effects.

However, having calculated Chansey's HP to decrease by 100 with each use of Softboiled, many HP values crash and others are perfectly safe.  :???: At the moment, my Chansey is somewhere in the range of 49,000 HP with a fully normal summary screen.

Something else you mightn't have known: it is also possible to make the game display a small graphic outside of the summary screen through this glitch (i.e. in the party). This 8-pixel line manifests itself in between 'Summary' and 'Switch' of the 'Summary/Switch/Item/Cancel' interface. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrBND5m-9dQ

What I've always wondered: if we can make such graphics appear beyond the summary and into the party, might it be possible to then go beyond the party and display glitched graphics on the overworld?  :o

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-04-18 19:46:42
What happens when you try to battle with a Pokemon with negative HP in a link battle, or try to do the glitched party glitch in a link battle?

Date: 2014-04-19 05:11:36
Link battles always heal both teams before the battle…  :-\

Date: 2014-04-19 07:55:30
DO NOT DO THE GLITCH!!!! AFTER I DID THE GLITCH, I DID SOME OTHER STUFF AND LATER, I WENT TO MY POKEMON BOXES AND ALMOST EVERYTHING WERE BAD EGGS! (still worth it for 2 Brick Break TMs)

So apparently, the glitch has an unintended side effect of turning everything in your PC into BAD EGGs. I'll get a photo up once I find a camera.

Date: 2014-04-19 08:04:56
Well holy crap, that sounds like a major breakthrough to me!  ;D

Of course, I certainly wouldn't appreciate it if that were to happen to my Emerald cartridge.  :o

But harnessing this glitch could bring unlimited glitching opportunity. I take it this occurred on your new run without anything valuable being erased?

Date: 2014-04-19 08:36:08
Yeah, nothing bad happened to me. All that was erased were Pokemon with Bad natures. I've got the photos.
Another thing I found was that one of the BAD EGGs was a regular EGG. I wanted to know what it was, so I did the glitch, and it was a Spinda… WITH SUPER GLITCH moves. (I know what Super Glitch really is, but the moves were so similar).

http://i.imgur.com/yWYo42t.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QhCLlmw.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/VKqknwW.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/qwwf9SK.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/88Q0QmE.jpg
Arbitrary Code anyone?

Date: 2014-04-19 08:40:26
Very impressive indeed!  :D

…but there's no way I'm letting my prized Emerald go anywhere near this level of utter destruction.  8)

So do you have any clue as to how this all came about? What were you doing after cloning your Pokémon?

Date: 2014-04-19 08:49:12
I advanced the plot (Rayquaza), I fought a lot of Trainers, then I went to my Pokémon box to withdraw a Waterfall Slave, and I saw the bad EGGs.

So I really don't know how it happened.

Date: 2014-04-19 08:54:52
My uneducated guess is that maybe the clone is distorting data from something to do with the PC.

My Emerald and LeafGreen are very valuable to me, but I might have a go of this on my FireRed and see what I can accomplish there.

If we can figure out why your Emerald bugged out so badly, I'll work on buying a new copy of Emerald at school to mess around with.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-04-19 09:05:32
I got some Bad EGGs too. Turns out all you have to do is scroll up a considerable amount then try to run/ escape from battle with a Fluffy Tail. I don't know if viewing the Summary/Cancel or Shift/Summary/Cancel screen has any effect. I suspect only box 1/2 are affected. Scrolling up more (probably up to the early DX range max) will corrupt more Pokémon.

Edit: It seems to be at D7 your Box 1, position 2 Pokémon changes into a Bad EGG. My Bulbasaur (box 1 position 1) Pokémon was unaffected (at least there were no noticeable changes) at lower values. Now, this makes me think that the reason why your game freezes if you keep scrolling up is because simply scrolling corrupts data, and some more important data is earlier on.

Date: 2014-04-19 09:15:15
Congratulations, everyone. Today we can finally say that the Pomeg glitch can damage your game.  :)

I'll be sure to test this on my FireRed then when I have time later.

Also, Torchickens, you might want to alert your viewers to this potential catastrophe.  ;)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2014-04-19 09:38:11

Congratulations, everyone. Today we can finally say that the Pomeg glitch can damage your game.  :)

I'll be sure to test this on my FireRed then when I have time later.

Also, Torchickens, you might want to alert your viewers to this potential catastrophe.  ;)

Done now. It has occurred to me that we can probably do more than corrupt the box Pokémon, clone, corrupt the background (from scrolling to $98) or get the 'white Decamark effect'. It all depends on what lies earlier than the box data. By the way, the freeze happens for me at early $6X.

But luckytyphlosion's demonstration that we can get glitch moves on Pokémon is alone interesting. Who would have thought we'd be able to do this in a Generation III game,  ha ha.  :D

Date: 2014-04-19 09:49:27
Here are the effects of the Glitch Move (the really long one, top right):

The other glitch move (bottom right) has some less interesting effects: