Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Gen III: Access Pokémon beyond the sixth slot sub-glitches. - Page 47

Re: Gen III: Access Pokémon beyond the sixth slot sub-glitches.

Posted by: ImAFurry
Date: 2018-06-22 16:23:53
The "!" thing makes me almost sure your glitch move is the right one. You description of the DMA check process fits as well; my guess is that you got something wrong with either your bootstrap pokemon or your items. If you still have clones of the pokemon before you corrupt them to get the items, maybe you could use some stats calculators online to get their EV's ? You can get their IV's by leveling up a clone with 0 EV and calcing them (then reset if you don't want to lose rare candies). I used these sites when i did this:
http://www.metalkid.info/Pokemon/Calculators/IV.aspx
http://www.psypokes.com/dex/stats.php

Also if it can help, my boostrap pokemon isn't an egg and works just fine.

I've checked all my Smeargles' EVs and they are fine, so I guess the issue is in the bootstrap poke so I'll get it from the start. What characters does it have in its name after both corruptions? (I don't know if it changes between different languages).

Posted by: Metarkrai
Date: 2018-06-23 09:13:37

I'm having an issue corrupting one of my shinies and I can't figure out why. I have three completely legit shinies, two with corruption types misc->growth (useless) and one corruption type 3. For some reason, the corruptions of the type 3 pokemon have a really low success rate; it probably takes around 20 tries to get a successful TID or PID corruption. I believe this may have something to do with the fact that it requires different initiators for each (heart caterpie for TID, pluses for PID) because once I do a successful TID corruption and switch out the initiators, the TID corruption gets reversed a large fraction of the time, much closer to the 6-7/32 figure I see everywhere. It's taking a good two hours or so to do a double corruption, which is not a problem I have experienced yet with my other attempts with other pokemon. The poke I am using was caught at lv 43 (>65535 experience) so that may be a contributing factor as well, I'm just not sure. 

Oh yeah, I  never really thought about that but the first corruption can be reversed by the second one if the corruption initiator for the second corruption have to be different.
Don't worry, exp doesn't pose an issue regarding the corruption (you would need at least 0x40000000 exp for that).

If you managed to perform a PID corruption with this corruption initiator, then it's a working corruption initiator (ie it fulfills its role without any issue).
Similarly, if your Pokémon passes the specific criteria for corruption and has a 4th move for a double corruption, then its PID should be corruptible without any issue after the TID corruption.
Out of the 32 possible DMA patterns, there are 6 (or 7) that will allow for a TID corruption and 6 (or 7) that will allow for a PID corruption. Due to the close location of PID and TID in a Pokémon's data, these DMA patterns are all different, so the 6-7/32 corruption chance stands as the success chance for a TID corruption and for a PID corruption (not as a combined chance or as the success chance for TID corruption only).
When you're on emulator, using savestates can cause interferences with the RNG and consequently with the DMA patterns, but on console there shouldn't be any interference or whatsoever.

As Tabbender mentioned, I recommend you to obtain an Instant Pomeg Glitch Pokémon ( https://pastebin.com/wsYtbzpG ), as this will help you fasten a lot the PC Pokémon corruptions.

Also very interesting, when the poochyena gets the type of corruption that changes the pokemon's name, the entire "ch" gets deleted, resulting in "pooyena." I previously thought that corruption only affected the fourth and eighth letters.

The byte for C is 0xBD, which turns into 0xFD when corrupted, and 0xFD is a control character.
The hex character for "H" might be read as a command for control character 0xFD and thus not appear as a letter, according to its function : https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Character_encoding_in_Generation_III
(some of these effects could be used for music changes or things like that, I tried using 0xFC a bit and crashed the game with command 0x10 in a battle)

I tried to trigger ACE with no result. This is what happened:

When I get the correct DMA Pattern (/220HP Lvl 190) and use the ACE move some text appears(in spanish version, "sultado es  a …"), I press A, then appears "!" and suddenly the game keeps playing the battle music but I'm unable to do anything (just turn down the Game Boy, I can't even soft reset).

I'm using the Bootstrap poke as an egg, I have Poochyena in the right spot (it is sent to battle sometimes instead of the bad egg). I tried to use it without being into an egg and it just freezes.

What can be wrong here? Should I check the ACE move, Bootstrap and items or I can dismiss a step?

EDIT: If I clone at battle tower, would the items placed into the pyramid bag disappear?

The "!" thing makes me almost sure your glitch move is the right one. You description of the DMA check process fits as well; my guess is that you got something wrong with either your bootstrap pokemon or your items. If you still have clones of the pokemon before you corrupt them to get the items, maybe you could use some stats calculators online to get their EV's ? You can get their IV's by leveling up a clone with 0 EV and calcing them (then reset if you don't want to lose rare candies). I used these sites when i did this:

The Glitch Move is definitely fine, but unfortunately it's near impossible to tell where the issue really was aside from that.
Sure, there are more chances to make a mistake during the training of the Bootstrap Pokémon than on the EVs for Glitch Items identifiants, but one forgotten/extra EV is enough to make the whole procedure not work.

Corrupting the Bootstrap Pokémon into an Egg as the final step doesn't mess with the part of its data that is used as its Bootstrap code (this part of data is stored on the first two double-words of the Growth substructure, whereas a PID/TID corruption will affect the TID, the PID, and eventually the Happiness in the third word of the Growth substructure as it is also used for the Egg Step Cycle counter ).
If you redo this procedure, you can clone the Bootstrap Pokémon and try with both the Egg form and the non-Egg form.

What was the code you were trying to attempt ?
The issue may come from my side if I made a miscalculation/writing error for some EVs in the code or for something in the Spanish Emerald case (which already happened in the past), so I will look back into the Bootstrap Pokémon procedure.

Date: 2018-06-23 12:56:10
What was the code you were trying to attempt ?
The issue may come from my side if I made a miscalculation/writing error for some EVs in the code or for something in the Spanish Emerald case (which already happened in the past), so I will look back into the Bootstrap Pokémon procedure.

I've tried to unlock Navel Rock. I will also store again the items into the pyramid bag in case I missed something there (I don't think so but who knows)

Posted by: Tabbender
Date: 2018-06-24 02:50:18

I've checked all my Smeargles' EVs and they are fine, so I guess the issue is in the bootstrap poke so I'll get it from the start. What characters does it have in its name after both corruptions? (I don't know if it changes between different languages).

That seems to be the most likely. Maybe you put it in the wrong PC slot ? The behavior you're describing reminds me a lot of mine when i had my bootstrap in the wrong PC slot.

The byte for C is 0xBD, which turns into 0xFD when corrupted, and 0xFD is a control character.
The hex character for "H" might be read as a command for control character 0xFD and thus not appear as a letter, according to its function : https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Character_encoding_in_Generation_III
(some of these effects could be used for music changes or things like that, I tried using 0xFC a bit and crashed the game with command 0x10 in a battle)

That's actually pretty amazing ! Is there any chance that we can use than to run out of bounds stuff, possibly even perform ACE to some extent ?

Date: 2018-06-25 10:39:48
That seems to be the most likely. Maybe you put it in the wrong PC slot ? The behavior you're describing reminds me a lot of mine when i had my bootstrap in the wrong PC slot.

It is in the right slot for sure.

I repeated the whole process to get the bootstrap poke, getting another one (so I'm probably falling to get this boy). To make things easier, what level, gender does this bootstrap poke have?

I'm also wondering if cloning in Battle Tower removes glitch items in pyramid bag. Does it?

Date: 2018-06-25 17:43:53

It is in the right slot for sure.

I repeated the whole process to get the bootstrap poke, getting another one (so I'm probably falling to get this boy). To make things easier, what level, gender does this bootstrap poke have?

I'm also wondering if cloning in Battle Tower removes glitch items in pyramid bag. Does it?

Mine is male, level 0 and its species name is blank. However, i'm on a french game, so things might be different for you since they're read from unrelated data that can change depending on localizations. If you got a different one the second time, it seems likely to me that your problem comes from there.

And no, cloning pokemon has no effect on the Pyramid Bag whatsoever.

Date: 2018-06-26 09:28:55
Now I'm pretty sure I've got the right Bootstrap poke, however it still gets stuck in the "!" forever. Metarkrai, could you please check the spanish values in the method, in case there is something wrong?

Date: 2018-06-27 04:32:27

Now I'm pretty sure I've got the right Bootstrap poke, however it still gets stuck in the "!" forever. Metarkrai, could you please check the spanish values in the method, in case there is something wrong?

Maybe you should try to clone it and fill as many PC slots with it as you can. It's possible Metarkrai got the PC slot wrong, like he did with the French version at first. It's hard to be on point with every single localization of the game, so mistakes like this are pretty common when a setup is young.

Date: 2018-06-30 04:46:02

So I checked the whole process, did it on a Spanish Emerald, and things worked fine.

The PC Slots for the Bootstrap Pokémon and the CODEDSD h Pokémon are correct. (Box 12 Slot 15 and Box 2 Slot 5)
The EVs and Glitch Item for the Bootstrap Pokémon are correct. (Item 0x0258, 177 HP, 176 SpAtk, 125 Atk, 8 Beauty Pokéblock)
The Pyramig Bag Items Code to unlock Navel Rock is correct, and the corresponding EVs are correct.

I have a question : During the second EV training in the Bootstrap Pokémon procedure (where you train the Glitch Poké obtained after a double corruption), was this Glitch Pokémon was at level 1 all along ?

On the first corruption, you end up with Glitch Pokémon 0x0A05. (this Pokémon is only here to not be at Lv 100 with 0x05060000 exp)(On Spanish Emerald, name : èù: ò ké", Nv 1)

On the second double corruption, you end up with Glitch Pokémon 0x7DB1.
In a Spanish Emerald, this glitch Pokémon has a blank name in the PC, is female, and at Lv 3.
When bringing this Pokémon to the name rater, the first characters that appear are :
"              Ï OE ¡ b¡ con locur"

This is a good idea, I will update the paste about the Bootstrap Pokémon to give details about how the Bootstrap Pokémon should look like (if the species is correct, this means that the Atk and HP Evs during the training phase were correct).

Date: 2018-06-30 05:15:32
Thank you. So I can truly confirm that pokes are fine (the bootstrap is holding the right item)
[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/35ks9x3.jpg[/img]

So I don't really know why isn't working. Some context of what I've achieved in my game:
-Hall of fame
-Got all gold symbols (the pyramid one automatically appeared when unlocked Birth Island and Faraway Island)
-No gamesharks, etc.
-Hoenn Dex completed.

I think noone of these affects the metthod, but if it could?

EDIT: After checking if pyramid bag items were stored after cloning in the battle tower, they were deleted. Thus, cloning (at least in battle tower) requires to store again the items. I'll do it and I'll edit after trying tro trigger ACE again.

EDIT2: I'm not able to perform it, even now that I'm pretty sure everything is fine :/

And last. When I use the ACE Move, how much time do I need to wait until it fully executes the code?

Date: 2018-06-30 08:40:25

Thank you. So I can truly confirm that pokes are fine (the bootstrap is holding the right item)

So I don't really know why isn't working. Some context of what I've achieved in my game:
-Hall of fame
-Got all gold symbols (the pyramid one automatically appeared when unlocked Birth Island and Faraway Island)
-No gamesharks, etc.
-Hoenn Dex completed.

I think noone of these affects the metthod, but if it could?

None of these facts affect the Bootstrap Pokémon, the Glitch Move, its mechanic (trying to execute code with the move animation subroutine), or the Pyramid Bag Items, don't worry.

EDIT: After checking if pyramid bag items were stored after cloning in the battle tower, they were deleted. Thus, cloning (at least in battle tower) requires to store again the items. I'll do it and I'll edit after trying tro trigger ACE again.

And last. When I use the ACE Move, how much time do I need to wait until it fully executes the code?

When you went out of Battle Pyramid on your Pyramid Bag storage attempts, did you forfeit out of the Pyramid ?
Did you do other attempts at the Pyramid where you lost / reset ?

Because the only thing that I see that can reset a Pyramid Bag pouch is by attempting Battle Pyramid after a loss (a loss in the mode you choose). [During the speech with the host, the Pyramid Bag pouch gets reset).

Else, entering another Battle Frontier facility (such as the Battle Tower), or doing other actions don't affect the Pyramid Bag as it is intented that these pouches remain untouched while you don't lose in Battle Pyramid. (I retested it, cloning at Battle Tower doesn't reset these pouches)

When using the ACE move, the code will be executed in a few frames as it consists of basic operations (write/copy-paste values at specific places,…).
As this operation is considered by the game as the "animation" of your move, you will not see anything (because no graphical effects/commands were used). The move's effect will trigger and the battle will continue normally.
Then, you can go and check that your code worked by talking to a NPC, going to a certain location, or looking at a certain Pokémon (depending on the code executed).

Date: 2018-06-30 08:46:23
When you went out of Battle Pyramid on your Pyramid Bag storage attempts, did you forfeit out of the Pyramid ?

Nope, I went out by using "Retire".
Did you do other attempts at the Pyramid where you lost / reset ?

Yea, I did it like twice in order to store again the items (I've checked it because I could have failed there).

Else, entering another Battle Frontier facility (such as the Battle Tower), or doing other actions don't affect the Pyramid Bag as it is intented that these pouches remain untouched while you don't lose in Battle Pyramid. (I retested it, cloning at Battle Tower doesn't reset these pouches)

Cloning in the battle tower has always been reseting the counter of rounds/win streak battles in any Battle Frontier Building in my cartridge, so I thought it would remove the items (actually it did).

As this operation is considered by the game as the "animation" of your move, you will not see anything (because no graphical effects/commands were used). The move's effect will trigger and the battle will continue normally.

So after using it it should go back to the Fight, Poke… menu right? How much time does it take?

Date: 2018-06-30 12:31:37

Cloning in the battle tower has always been reseting the counter of rounds/win streak battles in any Battle Frontier Building in my cartridge, so I thought it would remove the items (actually it did).

This is strange, I will look up on that.

Edit : Okay, so the fact that all your streaks get set to 0 is apparently because you reset after saying "Yes" when the game asks you to save your game.
Then, I think that the game notices there was a forced soft-reset during a save at a Battle Frontier facility, and sets all your current streaks to 0.

However, if you soft-reset when the message "Do you want to save your game ?" appears, the cloning glitch will still work and you will not suffer from any streak loss.

Thus, entering back into Battle Pyramid (I mean, talking to the host, selecting a mode, a party, then saying Yes) will clear the Pyramid Bag for the mode you chose.
So your Pyramid Bag was fine during the Code Execution, but seemed like "empty" after that.
Notice that this is also not a hindrance when depositing Items in Pyramid Bags because going into an "Open Level" mode will not affect your "Lv 50" Bag, and vice-versa.

So after using it it should go back to the Fight, Poke… menu right? How much time does it take?

After using the Glitch Move and triggering the ACE, you can flee the battle, go to Lilycove, and see if Navel Rock is unlocked or not. (if you have the ticket for the island in your Bag)

Date: 2018-06-30 13:32:11
Edit : Okay, so the fact that all your streaks get set to 0 is apparently because you reset after saying "Yes" when the game asks you to save your game.
Then, I think that the game notices there was a forced soft-reset during a save at a Battle Frontier facility, and sets all your current streaks to 0.

However, if you soft-reset when the message "Do you want to save your game ?" appears, the cloning glitch will still work and you will not suffer from any streak loss.

Thus, entering back into Battle Pyramid (I mean, talking to the host, selecting a mode, a party, then saying Yes) will clear the Pyramid Bag for the mode you chose.
So your Pyramid Bag was fine during the Code Execution, but seemed like "empty" after that.
Notice that this is also not a hindrance when depositing Items in Pyramid Bags because going into an "Open Level" mode will not affect your "Lv 50" Bag, and vice-versa.

Cool, I've always wondered what caused that.

Following my hopeless tries I've found that CODEDSD h becomes into a bad egg sometimes looking for the lvl 190 and …/220 HP bad egg (without triggering ACE). Is it normal?

Date: 2018-06-30 14:19:21

Cool, I've always wondered what caused that.

Following my hopeless tries I've found that CODEDSD h becomes into a bad egg sometimes looking for the lvl 190 and …/220 HP bad egg (without triggering ACE). Is it normal?

Yeah, this is due to the fact that when you do a battle with this procedure, the data of the Pokémon that is sent to the battle is partially read on Poochyena's data.
But since this data isn't aligned as proper Pokémon data (the checksum of the "Pokémon" is invalid), the game tries to change this "Pokémon" into a Bad Egg by setting some bits to 1.
By doing that, the game corrupts Poochyena's data, which can end up in giving him an invalid checksum, which turns this Poochyena into a Bad Egg when you go see it back into the PC.

Oh, yeah, I know what you can try.

Try to execute this code :

-Emerald (non jpn) : Test Code
(Pyramid Bag Code Execution, Items to store in Pyramid Bags)
Code Item N° | Identifiant |
01, Lv50 | 0xBDF0 (189 Spd, 240 Def) |
02, Lv50 | |
03, Lv50 | |
04, Lv50 | |
05, Lv50 | |
06, Lv50 | |
07, Lv50 | |
08, Lv50 | |
09, Lv50 | |
10, Lv50 | |
01, Open Lv | |
02, Open Lv | |
03, Open Lv | |
04, Open Lv | |
05, Open Lv | |
06, Open Lv | |
07, Open Lv | |
08, Open Lv | |
09, Open Lv | |
10, Open Lv | |

This code does nothing, and only requires one glitch item (that you already have)

If you try to perform ACE with this code, and if your Bootstrap Pokémon and ACE Glitch Move are correct (and if the setup is correct), nothing should happen when you will use the ACE Glitch Move (in particular, the game will not freeze).