Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Gen III: Access Pokémon beyond the sixth slot sub-glitches. - Page 11

Re: Gen III: Access Pokémon beyond the sixth slot sub-glitches.

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2014-05-04 10:19:59

Would there be a trainer I could fight whose Pokemon could steal my Bad Egg's item, whereby I could then switch in one of my Pokemon to steal it back and keep it?

I'm pretty sure Cooltrainer Cristin's Vigoroth/Slaking has Covet. She's at west of Lilycove. Kira&Dan also have a Illumise that has Covet at their maxed rematches nevermind this one is double battle.

EDIT: there's this dump but it doesn't have their moves, only TMs/HMs (there's a Linoone with Thief). And there's this thing with Match Calls and their rematches but apparently only the ones I mentioned have Covet at their last rematches, the others are only accessible once or so. Both Psychic Jacki and Cameron have an Alakazam with Trick on their last rematch.

Posted by: VaeporSage
Date: 2014-05-04 10:36:27
I've already fought Cristin…  :-\

And my Emerald's battery has run dry, so I don't think I can rematch people via Match Call anymore. In any case, I wouldn't be able to use a Bad Egg on its own in a double battle.

If I could fix my battery, I would be able to simply make a secret base team with Thief/Covet and test items that way. But the way it is right now, I would have to go back to mixing records every time I want to face the team with each of my caught Bad Eggs - 22 of them.

Is there a 'berry glitch fix' for Emerald? I don't think what's happened to my cartridge is the berry glitch.

Edit: Those links are helpful, thanks!  8)

Posted by: luckytyphlosion
Date: 2014-05-04 11:17:54

Is there a 'berry glitch fix' for Emerald? I don't think what's happened to my cartridge is the berry glitch.

Edit: Those links are helpful, thanks!  8)

You can still get phone calls with a dead battery, except you can only get them when you load the game.

So you could try resetting until you get a phone call.

For Trick, you could try mutating a Pokémon with trick and hope that you get a Glitch Move, but still keep Trick.

Date: 2014-05-04 12:25:13

You can still get phone calls with a dead battery, except you can only get them when you load the game.

So you could try resetting until you get a phone call.

For Trick, you could try mutating a Pokémon with trick and hope that you get a Glitch Move, but still keep Trick.

According to Bulbapedia, the R/S Trainer's Eyes feature was step-based, and Match Call is apparently just an upgrade of that. So rematching via Match Call doesn't seem to be a time-based event.  :)

I got a wild Makuhita to Knock Off the items of my first two caught Bad Eggs. As both of their items were shown to be "????????", I went ahead and made a secret base trainer with an Alakazam with Trick to see what this item does.

However, my strategy of having the opponent's Alakazam Trick the Bad Egg, then switch into my Smeargle and have Alakazam re-distribute the item onto Smeargle didn't work. After the battle, the item re-appeared on the Bad Egg and not on Smeargle.  :(

I think I'll try getting one of my Pokemon to use Thief on Alakazam instead.

~~~~~

On a positive note, I've been having lots of fun catching opponents' Pokemon with Smeargle's Unonkaana move (identical in effect to Torchickens' "| { V []" move).

Having wild Dittos Transform into the caught trainers' Pokemon (Bad Eggs) and watch them using all kinds of new glitch moves is pretty cool.  :)

Posted by: pokechu22
Date: 2014-05-05 20:49:32
On the subject of Gen 3 glitch moves, I just noticed this wiki page titled "Cool Move".  Seems to be similar to the "?????????? used a FIRE move" effect. 

That page could probably be updated, though. 

Date: 2014-05-06 11:46:06

On the subject of Gen 3 glitch moves, I just noticed this wiki page titled "Cool Move".  Seems to be similar to the "?????????? used a FIRE move" effect.

What kind of glitchy effects might I encounter if I find a similar move to use in contests? The page doesn't go into much detail.  :P

So far, the four glitch moves I've tested in contests just froze the game in one way or another.

I got a wild Makuhita to Knock Off the items of my first two caught Bad Eggs. As both of their items were shown to be "????????", I went ahead and made a secret base trainer with an Alakazam with Trick to see what this item does.

However, my strategy of having the opponent's Alakazam Trick the Bad Egg, then switch into my Smeargle and have Alakazam re-distribute the item onto Smeargle didn't work. After the battle, the item re-appeared on the Bad Egg and not on Smeargle.  :(

I think I'll try getting one of my Pokemon to use Thief on Alakazam instead.

This didn't work either.

I suspect that it's due to the fact that secret base battles heal your whole team afterwards, and probably reset items as well, which would explain why the Bad Egg kept the item even though my Misdreavus stole it from Alakazam. While Misdreavus held it, the summary screen clearly stated that Misdreavus was holding a "????????". (Octomarks  ;D.)

Before I go ahead and try this outside of a secret base battle (vs. Psychic Jacki or Cameron's Alakazams), could someone actually test whether items can be juggled between Pokemon in this way? I.e.

1) Send out any Pokemon with any item vs a Pokemon with Thief/Covet/Trick in-game;

2) Get the item stolen, switch into a different Pokemon, take the item back from the opponent and get outta there.

If your second Pokemon keeps the item, let me know so I can work on obtaining the Octomarks item!  :XD:

Posted by: werster
Date: 2014-05-06 16:41:43
I corrupted a Level 47 Kadabra such that it still had its normal moves including trick, but had a ?????? item. Went into final rematch, revived pokemon, killed Solrock, and tricked the item onto Alakazam. It said that Alakazam received ??????. But then my Bad Egg was still holding an item, and when I switched to a normal Pokemon and had Alakazam Trick me it failed =(

Edit: But then I just tricked a Ditto and caught it http://puu.sh/8C13U.png

Date: 2014-05-07 06:26:38
After teaching Kadabra Trick, mutating it, tricking the glitch item to a Poochyena and transferring it to Gen 4, when I went to my box to check the item…

It wasn't even holding it :(.

So I guess the glitch item disappears when you transfer it to Gen 4. The interesting thing is that when selecting the Pokémon to transfer, it said that the Poochyena was holding a "????????", so it's still programmed into the game.

Date: 2014-05-07 15:53:59
You guys are right on it! Good work!  ;)

Does Octomarks give any funny effects when used? In battle, in overworld, when discarded, etc.?

I'll work on getting it myself tomorrow and I'll transfer it to XD: Gale of Darkness to see if it does funky stuff there too.  :)

Date: 2014-05-07 16:15:44

You guys are right on it! Good work!  ;)

Does Octomarks give any funny effects when used? In battle, in overworld, when discarded, etc.?

I'll work on getting it myself tomorrow and I'll transfer it to XD: Gale of Darkness to see if it does funky stuff there too.  :)

To the best of my knowledge, none are usable and just give Professor Oak's normal omniscient "NOOOONONONONO" message (though I haven't tried all 65536 of them).  They CAN be registered to select in some cases, however.  Still can't be used. 

I haven't tried XD with them though. 

Date: 2014-05-07 16:20:44
So, to a certain extent, they can display some variance between different kinds?

By any chance, is this item an 'error handler' similar to ?, ?? and Bad Eggs? Octomarks sure looks pre-programmed, what with its sprite and the fact that it seems to appear on every Bad Egg.

Date: 2014-05-07 16:26:23

So, to a certain extent, they can display some variance between different kinds?

By any chance, is this item an 'error handler' similar to ?, ?? and Bad Eggs? Octomarks sure looks pre-programmed, what with its sprite and the fact that it seems to appear on every Bad Egg.

To the best of my knowledge, yes.  All remaining hexes seem to be Octomarks. 

The only major variance I can detect is that octomarks of differing hexes do not stack

Oh yea.  If you bring a glitch item into your TM pouch, you can actually get alternate glitch items with long names that corrupt everything.  Octomark hexes there do have varying effects. 

Date: 2014-05-07 20:18:25
pokechu, what do you mean by "corrupt everything"?

Date: 2014-05-07 22:03:02

pokechu, what do you mean by "corrupt everything"?

The effect varies.  It's interesting.  Each hexedicimal value gives a different item.  Move 0A is a functinoal TM (Teaching a glitch move: ^u 'A).  Most others aren't, and their names cause buffer overflows.  In some cases (and I'll need to upload ANOTHER video of those), the game will break completely, overriding your name, items, and all sorts of stuff. 

Here are the codes (you need to have picked up a TM before using them, so that you have the case beforehand):

Master codes:
0000295F 0001
101DC9D4 0007
83005000 0000
83005002 0000

And the important code here is [tt]82025A00 XXXX[/tt].  I used 0001 in this example. 

Video uploaded: here.  It doens't cover all of the effects, but it was just a quick test video.  I'm going to want to redo this later, surely including move 000A and some of the weirder effects. 

Date: 2014-05-08 15:19:37

XD: Gale of Darkness won't let you trade it. Octomarks is "an untradeable item".  :o