Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

Generation III Glitch Discussion

Gen III: Access Pokémon beyond the sixth slot sub-glitches. - Page 24

Re: Gen III: Access Pokémon beyond the sixth slot sub-glitches.

Posted by: werster
Date: 2014-07-02 12:33:48
Yeah I eventually got the Ever Grande flag with that setup, just in a different battle. I just did 5 battles in a row, and the 5th one got me the flag.

The stupidest part now I feel like is going to be the fact that the ideal time to set the flag, would be before you can use Fly (right before Fortree, you don't have the 6th Badge yet) Perhaps for ease of convience considering there seems to be no reliable check if you got the flag or not without actually checking, you should do it after the Gym (and faint all other pokemon while you're in there) and, if you're super lucky, get Swampert down to 1 health too. (or potentially just low health, and maybe lower it down catch Marills or something similar to increase the chance of a IVG Bad Egg. Getting poisoned from Oddish is the most consistent, but obviously not quite as optimised)

Posted by: Metarkrai
Date: 2014-07-02 16:06:45
Oh, so you got a corruption, great !
This seems to go along with Kraust's idea, since when I tried to obtain Ever Grande FLy Location on your file with savestates, I didn't succeed.
So, resetting would have an impact on the corruption patterns. I don't really see why, since there's no real thing that would vary from one reset to another.

Else, corrupting Ever Grande before getting a convenient Bad Egg would save time, but it wouldn't be secure, as you would have to continue your run with the belief that the corruption worked.

As you have to corrupt the data many times in a row (without resetting), the fastest way is before the Bad Egg, but you have to save for the Bad Egg as you don't have tons of Pokemon to corrupt, so this isn't viable.
You have to make two glitzer for this to work, but the second will be faster to set than the first, as you only have to revive two Pokemon, give EVs to one (if he didn't have them), and put it to 1 HP.
So you could maybe catch a puny Pokemon with enough Base HP to gain 1 HP with a HP Up (if you can easily and quickly find one), as it would be faster to put him down to 1 HP (it would be a Pokemon with enough HP, and with a good Base Speed, so you can flee from battles in order to control the damage you're taking quickly), and you can then Glizter again for Ever Grande Fly Location.
So, 2 Revive (+1 Hp Up) + getting 1 Pokemon to 1HP would take 1-2 minutes, considering the capture of a frail Pokemon (abra of some other Pokemon could maybe do the trick).

Marill is also useful for being at 99% at wild, with a high catch rate. The useful levels diminish the real % of useful Marill, but it's still really high.
It still may work better for some other Pokemon (and moves), but the setup for all the Glitzer is for now good.
It still needs optimization and real situation tests, but the saved time is here (yeah, I'm not really familiar with techniques bringing a Pokemon to 1 HP, since you don't have many possibilities at this point in the run).

Posted by: Kraust
Date: 2014-07-02 17:31:15
I got it to work shortly after making my post about it. It's definitely something you have to reset for.

My other idea was to corrupt the quantity of some Rare Candies and use Swampert to solo Victory Road + Elite 4. It shouldn't be that difficult being that he's Swampert and he'd be Lv 100.

That's what I was going to do with this Glitch anyways. All I did was get to Victory Road

[img]http://puu.sh/9UfMR/05dcbe9fee.png[/img]

Here's the save: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/66465223/Stuff/evergrande.SAV
The only issue is that the TM and Berry pouches are wiped / corrupted and you can't add anymore to them. I need to run this again so that doesn't happen.

Posted by: Tsukuu
Date: 2014-07-02 17:40:45

My other idea was to corrupt the quantity of some Rare Candies and use Swampert to solo Victory Road + Elite 4. It shouldn't be that difficult being that he's Swampert and he'd be Lv 100.

Wouldn't you use the rather common bad eggs with instant victory moves for this instead?

(EDIT: actually I forgot you'd not have any poké at the box by then. But maybe it's more viable to try to corrupt the few pokés you have than glitching Rare Candies)

Date: 2014-07-03 02:15:08
Kraust :
If you ctry to corrupt Rare Candies, there's a really good chance to corrupt TMs / Berries pockets, as their adresses are below other items' adresses.

But since Waterfall isn't needed for Victory Road, there aren't many trainers left to fight (Fortree Gym + Victory Road + League), so your idea of a Lvl 100 Swampert is good. I don't know exactly how long it would usually take to catch 6 Marill, and make 4-5 resets in order to wait for a corruption, but i seems a few minutes slower than levelling Swampert to me, and the time gained with these fights may not be enough to make the difference.
Theorically, the Bad Egg style is faster, since you would need 1 Pokemon, and 1 corruption to obtain an Instant Win Bad Egg, but that's the theory.

The issue with Rare Candy corruption would be, as you said, Berry pouch corruption, as we don't want it to happen, since you corrupt Rare Candies before Fortree Gym, and Ever Grande after Fortree Gym.
Expecting to have obtained Ever Grande before having the Fly map would be a great run killer, so that's not a good point.

Instead, I thought of something (for Bad Eggs at first) that could work well to set up another Pomeg Glitch, but I was wrong.
Thus, I'm still searching on the fastest way to bring a Pokemon down to 1 HP.
I thought of using a frail Pokemon that would gain 1 HP with a HP Up, so getting him to 1 HP would be faster than Marshtomp/Swampert, and we could use him for Pomeg glitch (Swampert would take the role of the healthy Pokemon).

Date: 2014-07-03 05:31:03
Well for the issue of getting a Pokemon down to 1 HP - Do we encounter any Pokemon that learn Endure before Fortree? You can probably get a Vigoroth and raise it to Lv 25 so it learns Endure. I know that I had my Swellow at that level due to getting doubles XP at that point.

As for the Rare Candies vs Glitch Pokemon. If you're able to get the Bad Egg then by all means that's probably the faster way. My suggestion is only if you don't want to go that route.

Date: 2014-07-03 15:15:28
I'm thinking as a more consistent strat you'd probably go beat Fortree gym normally, then just keep doing the corruption until Ever Grande shows up. Check Pokemon in the box (a couple slaves) and see if you got IVG, if not, then use up the Rare Candies.

As for getting to 1 health, the most consistent method is to get Poisoned by a Wild Oddish on Route 119 just before Fortree and going down, can just be annoying cause it can use Sleep Power and Stun Spore too (you can just keep spamming energy powders till you get the right result though)

Edit: One thing I did notice about the showing up in a boxed map (Trees, Water, other trees etc) is that is repeats over and over. That is, if you do a access beyond 6, and get the trees, if you Fly back to where you are, and do it again, you keep getting trees over and over for a continuous period (or at least I seem to)

Date: 2014-07-04 09:24:02
Your tree problem is normal, since you corrupted the spawning map entrance, and you need to enter a Pokemon center to change it again to a normal map entrance.

The poison technique seems the safest strat, yup. Also, the upper Ninja on Route 119 have 2 Smogos, so it would maybe be safer and faster to fight him to be poisoned and reach 1 HP. (you only have 30% of Oddish in the grass)

For Bad Eggs, I noticed something that would also slow this strat, since Marill are too slow to outrun Route 119 Pokemon.
So for every bad egg, you'll have to take 1 or 2 turns more to flee.

Thus, the Rare Candy strat, even if more boring, seems to really gain time over the Bad Egg one.
But I don't know if it's faster to do it before or after Fortree Gym.
1) You push Swampert down to 1HP. You use Pomeg Glitch, and corrupt until Rare Candy is hit (it will happen, not like Ever Grande Fly Location). You push Swampert up to Lv X (the level where you'll OHKO / 2HKO everything with/out X Atk or X SpA for the best Pokes, if you already have X Atk / X Spa ). You beat Fortree Gym. You put another Pokemon with HP EV down to 1 HP, and you save to make multiple attemps to obtain Ever Grande Fly Location (it could also already be available).

2) You normally beat Fortree, then you put Swampert at 1 HP, save, use Pomeg, then do multiple attemps for Ever Grande, then you pursue your corruption to have Rare Candies corrupted, and you use them until Swampert reaches Lv X.

So, how much time do you need to fight every Gym trainer with your team ? Or, do you have hard fights ? since you shouldn't take too much time to use moves to bring Pokemon down.
Waiting for poison damage doesn't seem really slow too, but with 1 Smogo trainer, the 1 Pomeg Glitch strat seems better.

Date: 2014-07-04 10:00:44
I don't know if you can corrupt the item bag without removing the TM + Berry bags. If you can't then it's a no-go because you can't fix the TM and Berry bags after afaik.

My Swampert was 39 when fighting her. Surf basically destroys everything. I don't know where he would be because I fought (almost) every trainer with Swampert and did most of the double battles with him too. I know he's going for time (I wasn't) so he could potentially be a much lower level.

I haven't really worked on it in the past couple of days. I couldn't get the item bag corrupted without ruining the other two bags which would break what I want to do. The other (bad) scenario would be to grind Victory Road with Swampert but that destroys the speed run aspect of it.

Date: 2014-07-04 11:08:59
Oh, yeah, you're damn right about the berry pouch corruption, that's a litigious point (the TMs aren't needed at the point of the run).
I'll look at the number of adresses that can bring a removal, and see their frequency of appearance, and the adresses that get corrupted along with them.

So yeah, a single Pomeg corrupt after Fortree Gym seems the best choice.

In his run, werster had a Lv 34 Marshtomp at Fortree, so the differences between all the Gym Fights and the fights with IW Bad Egg  and the time needed for setting up the first Pomeg and the Marill should still be in favor of the full Gym fights.

Date: 2014-07-06 19:21:27
I must've tried at least over 2000 times to get this damn Ever Grande flag, and so far I've only ever gotten it twice. Is it just really that hard to get it, or is it just being super duper dumb? I feel like it needs to be at least a little more consistent before doing actual runs =(

Date: 2014-07-07 12:16:03
werster : How did you proceed to try to obtain Ever Grande Fly location ?
For now, I can't make any research (still one week of exams), so I don't know what's the importance of soft resetting for corruption.
Also, on another side, when you start to chain corrupt your file, it seems (can't affirm that yet) that other values that wouldn't be corrupted if you only used a savestate tend to become corruptible (since nearly every double word isn't 0000 0000, and starts by 45xx xxx, the corruption pattern seems to differ lightly, as the value of some bytes affect it).

Thus, I'd need to see what bytes would prevent or not Ever Grande Fly Location corruption.
So, if you have some savestates at Fortree that would be like the speedrun (if you've made another try with a new route since there are items you won't need anymore), I would need it, so that I can see what kind of run condition can make the flag corruption faster (in my saves, they are full game, or without anything, as I use walk through walls cheat).

Posted by: TheZZAZZGlitch
Date: 2014-07-07 14:56:37

I must've tried at least over 2000 times to get this damn Ever Grande flag, and so far I've only ever gotten it twice. Is it just really that hard to get it, or is it just being super duper dumb? I feel like it needs to be at least a little more consistent before doing actual runs =(

Anti-cheating measures are killing the run.

As mentioned before, Gen III Pokemon games randomize locations of most important memory blocks. They can be in 64 possible positions - so the chance of setting the desired flag is around 1.5%.

Date: 2014-07-08 03:51:04
TheZZAZZGlitch : Do you have more data about the moving location of some adresses ?
Because there's an adress in the IRAM (a double word at 0x03xxxxxxx, but I don't remember where) that manages the adress movement, as well as the item "encryption", and with CBA, no codes can be done to alter the game, making it ignore this process, so I need to force this adress to the correct value if I want to make an Anti-DMA for CBA users. (that's a detail but I wanted to have something near complete abour 3rd Gen AR Codes, and it's the needed code to make all the CBA ones useful, and there are too much possibilities for me to try by hand).

Also, when I look with the memory viewer, I only see 32 possible positions, and they are all below the "initial" position (the one given when Anti-DMA is used). So, maybe resetting would affect this… I don't know at all.

There are also two types of corruption, but since 6th bit and 0 + 2nd bits corruption aren't so far from each other (at least, less than 32 double-words), the chances don't have to be divided by two.

Posted by: FroggestSpirit
Date: 2014-07-09 12:39:03
I'm a bit new to this glitch, but I was wondering how plausible it would be to corrupt a pokemon to have max contest stats (or maybe pokeblocks). Would it also be possible to corrupt ribbons onto a pokemon? Where can I look into this? I can analyze some addresses if needed