Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

The Member's Guide to Topiclessness - Page 238

Re: The Glitchy Thread of Topiclessness (#3)

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2018-01-21 13:45:30
I'm glad as always to see this place is still alive!! I have a lot to catch up on.

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2018-01-21 15:52:48
what's happening here?
1) is the discord dead
2) is anybody still around (probably a yes, should research more into the true answer to this question.)
3) is there still significant interest in gen i glitches
4) i should probably learn gbz80 but that's not a quesiton

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2018-01-21 16:00:08

1) is the discord dead

Eh, activity will pop up every now and then. It's not super active, but there are occasional conversations.

There are some conversations that can quickly reach up to 300+ messages long in a short time period. Unfortunatly, these are usually flame wars.

2) is anybody still around (probably a yes, should research more into the true answer to this question.)

I'm still here but idk

Date: 2018-01-21 17:03:34
If the amount of attention Chickasaurus' and Shenanagans' videos are getting is any indication, there's still tons of interest in both Gen I glitches and further research into them, possibly more than there has been in years. The speedrunning community in general seems to have revitalized interest in glitches from all generations.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-01-21 17:40:32
There is still interest in Gen I, but attention has shifted more towards Gen II, both because we're slowly exhausting Gen I's pool of glitches, and because of Gen II being released on VC.

Also, yeah, you should definitely learn GBz80. I suggest taking a look at awesome-gbdev.

Posted by: Kyoukipichi
Date: 2018-01-21 17:42:42

4) i should probably learn gbz80 but that's not a quesiton

Learning about Z80 is an easy way to learn about ASM in general. I suggest you Godelize the Z80 after you're done learning about it.

Posted by: Charmy
Date: 2018-01-22 06:55:49

I gave up on understanding the rhyme or reason in MeBoy(and MeBoy-F)-introduced glitches.

Wait what MeBoy introduced glitches? Mind giving a few examples?
I know what MeBoy is but idk it was such garbage as i never used it…

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-01-22 09:50:18
Hi Sherkel! :) Long time no speak.

If the amount of attention Chickasaurus' and Shenanagans' videos are getting is any indication, there's still tons of interest in both Gen I glitches and further research into them, possibly more than there has been in years. The speedrunning community in general seems to have revitalized interest in glitches from all generations.

This makes me happy, but don't forget TheZZAZZGlitch. His videos are a lot more popular than mine nowadays.

Then we also have Crystal_ (who goes really deep into his explanations) and Metarkrai for Generation III videos.

Yeah definitely re:speedrunning, I really enjoyed the techniques that were put together for 151 speedruns (mainly by luckytyphlosion).

Date: 2018-01-22 11:35:18
Hello to you too! It sure has been a while. It's good to know there'll be even more to watch when I feel like checking out glitch videos. Shen's stuff on 151 is what introduced me to speedrunning as a whole, and just talking about it now I already want to practice Red some more when I get back to my place in a few days. Did you ever give it a shot?

Date: 2018-01-22 11:46:21
Yes, it has :).

Cool, hope you enjoy them!

I've never tried running it, no but I've watched a few of Shenanagens speedruns.

I remember thinking it was amazing how he would navigate the Glitch Cities so smoothly, setting up Cooltrainers, or how he would execute later glitches such as LGFly and oobLG.

The closest I've done to a speedrun was a Japanese Crystal TAS (but not optimised) and a catch 'em all run for Red/Green (which is really obsolete now). Both are on my channel if you haven't watched them.

What have you been up to? You been playing any of the more recent Pokémon games like Sun/Moon, Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon?

Date: 2018-01-22 17:35:21
*plays music reverberating across the halls and into mathematics~*

Date: 2018-01-22 18:32:28

*plays music reverberating across the halls and into mathematics~*

Some glitches get like that.

You also reminded me I listened to a few music videos about how you can turn certain mathematical constants into melodic music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMq9he-5HUU

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2018-01-22 21:06:03
i might come back considering i'm losing friends at an increasing rate

also i might talk about how i've been feeling for the past few months if there's a 'serious discussion' area.

Posted by: Couldntthinkofaname
Date: 2018-01-22 21:12:19
Welcome back!

*cracks open celebratory can of pepsi*

Date: 2018-01-22 21:19:35

i might come back considering i'm losing friends at an increasing rate

also i might talk about how i've been feeling for the past few months if there's a 'serious discussion' area.

It's probably inappropriate to turn the Debate Wars board (that was the first place I thought of) into a "serious discussion" area, but you're right, we do need such a place.