Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

The Member's Guide to Topiclessness - Page 245

Re: The Glitchy Thread of Topiclessness (#3)

Posted by: Guy
Date: 2018-07-07 16:20:44
"Bing" is Chinese for "sick", so it makes sense that a virus would do that honestly.

Posted by: Abwayax
Date: 2018-07-07 16:26:42
"Gift" is German for "poison," so be careful during the holidays.

Posted by: Spoink
Date: 2018-07-08 00:27:16
uggghhhhhhhhhh gbz80asm sucksss

can anybody recommend some half-decent tutorials for some aspects like jumps, conditions, and flags? asmschool kind of didn't do it for me tbh, it was all just 'lol add $8f adds $8f to a' and apparently according to a specific member's suggestions i needed to 'read it all' to get it.

rgbds is a literal nightmare. i have no idea what i'm doing and quite frankly a one-file project seems to be the best course of action considering how there's jack shit in terms of good error messages and help files. i don't know what bin, constants, objects, or any of this shit is i just want a damn gb asm compiler.

i might just scrap my projects entirely seeing as i can't even write a gosh damn ram clearer since whoever made the fucking gameboy decided that ram should be filled to the brim with random fucking values for NO reason. fuck me. jesus christ.

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2018-07-08 05:37:02
https://eldred.fr/gb-asm-tutorial

RGBDS is a cool compiler, although it does have some weird quirks (constant assignments must start on 1st column, everything else must not) that are confusing. It also improved its error messages, now it gives line numbers for most things.

It's (semi-)randomly filled at startup not by design or choice, but because that's how RAM chips work, so you have to suck it up and work with it. I recommend init'ing the bare minimum of things and enabling BGB's "Break on uninitialized RAM reads" so you know when you forgot to init a var.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-07-09 11:21:09
So after LanceAndMissingNo. sent me a message about entering the Pokémon League with 5 Badges in Yellow, I decided to replicate that now old Red/Blue 0 Badges route from MrWint where you use Brock Through Walls to get to the Pokémon League early, abusing a quirk in how map connections work to place me near the top of the Pokémon League rather than below the badge checks and as a challenge without any save states.

I originally thought using Level 100 Nidoking from Viridian Forest death warp would be straight forward (though death warps can be a pain without luck manipulation which I've never tried and can't on VBA which, while it has inaccurate RNG, I prefer to use it because of its in-built recorder), but unfortunately the Level 1 Nidoking doesn't have coverage for Bruno's Rock-types and Agatha's Ghost-types (in fact the only way it can hit it with no TMs is with Poison Sting). -_- The TAS in that respect abuses luck manipulation a lot so Nidoking's Thrashes are critical hits and the foe doesn't hit the user whenever possible.

Before I tried this I did it with save states to abuse the linkless version of Generation I cloning (which has a high chance of corrupting the save file hence the save states) with Level 100 Nidoking and its original moves. Even with 6 Level 100 Nidoking's I still failed (and it's counter intuitive because you'd think with that many Level 100s you'd sure win). >_<;

So as a solution I decided to do Brock Through Walls twice. First time I'd walk to Silph Co. 10F and pick up TM26 Earthquake to teach Nidoking, and then I'd abuse Generation I Escape Rope mechanics to go back to Pewter City after last healing there (losing to warp is tricky unfortunately as a Rocket blocks the door (preventing PC access to deposit Nidoking) and you may spend a long time getting Nidoking to faint). Second time I'd do the Pewter house Brock Through Walls exploit to get to the Pokémon League and proceed to attempt the Elite Four.

It was still quite challenging for me with one Level 100 Nidoking so I'm glad I saved more often than not. When Nidoking gets to Lance he may have low HP hence you always have a chance of fainting to Gyarados' Hydro Pump (and I don't know the possible amount of damage it can do to you in general). But another (I feel) less obvious threat is Lance's Aerodactyl. It resists all Nidoking's starting moves as well as Earthquake, and its Hyper Beam can do a lot of damage to Nidoking. More frustratingly though it can troll you with Supersonic, so if you lose HP to confusion Aerodactyl could possibly throw another Hyper Beam at you (or possibly a flinch from Bite, I'm unsure how flinch works).

While with more careful planning I may have been able to buy a Revive, I had no money for items. Catching an Abra and doing another Brock Through Walls might have also allowed me to get TM48 Rock Slide from Celadon Department Store drinks girl, but I chose not to do this as I thought getting Earthquake would be sufficient.

A good strategy against Lance while time consuming is to abuse the Lance Trainer class AI to restore Nidoking's HP to its maximum. Long story short his three (not sure?? Even though I did this and have played the game many times I can't remember ;w;) Dragonair will always default to a super-effective Agility against Poison-types such as Nidoking and Bulbasaur even though it doesn't deal any damage and even if it has a maximum Speed stage. For this point luck is in our favour because Bulbasaur learns Leech Seed, so you can keep switching Nidoking in and out to restore its HP. Dragonair will also faint before Nidoking gets full HP but we're also lucky that Lance has more than one Dragonair and he can use a Hyper Potion so that more Leech Seed hits occur.

Then I saved before Blue. I don't know what moves his Gyarados knows (Trainer Pokémon normally have the same moves in this game other than what are called 'lone attacks' from special Trainers like Gym Leaders), but possibly his Gyarados could again be a threat to Nidoking due to its Water-type weakness.

I finally won, but the process from death-warp and Bulbasaur setup (including credits roll) took me 1 hour and 38 minutes. Makes me think speedrunners are amazing and they are a lot more patient than I am. Another thing is that I think you can get Level 100 Gengar if you manage to defeat Route 22 Rival Blue's first Pokémon and lose to his second Pokémon to load the 14 Special stat in memory for Gengar at Level 1, but I didn't confirm this or research its moves.

Tldr though, always be prepared for glitches taking longer or being more difficult than you expect. :)

Date: 2018-07-15 10:47:19
The Agility thing is why you use most of your X items on Nidoking while up against his Dragonair and only use the single necessary X Special to one-shot the Gyarados before it.

This thread is still the most viewed on GCLF. I don't know why, I don't know if anyone knows why, and I don't even know if there IS a why. (The thread about 8F, deservingly, is #2.)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2018-07-15 11:45:59

The Agility thing is why you use most of your X items on Nidoking while up against his Dragonair and only use the single necessary X Special to one-shot the Gyarados before it.

Yeah. At the time I had no money to buy items, but seems like that would have worked. :)

Date: 2018-07-15 15:52:24

Yeah. At the time I had no money to buy items, but seems like that would have worked. :)
I sometimes forget it's possible to play through the game without following the current any% route. :P

Posted by: RETIRE
Date: 2018-07-15 15:56:35
I sometimes forget it's possible to play through the game without following the current any% route. :P

Tbh I forgot this was supposed to be a game at some point

Date: 2018-07-15 21:40:58

Tbh I forgot this was supposed to be a game at some point
I do really want to learn RBA when I next get the chance to do this. Glitchless feels dead to me simply due to a general lack of patience and NSC is monotonous no matter who you ask, but RBA seems like a good middle ground. On the other hand, there are other games I'd much rather learn first.

Date: 2018-07-16 23:02:47

This thread is still the most viewed on GCLF. I don't know why, I don't know if anyone knows why, and I don't even know if there IS a why. (The thread about 8F, deservingly, is #2.)

while(true) { Ctrl+F5; }

Date: 2018-07-17 04:44:44

while(true) { Ctrl+F5; }
Yes, that would be how, but why?! :P Also, if you keep clicking refresh on it, the view count doesn't go up, at least not right away. OOH, ALSO, that posted at time, hot damn! I'm lucky!! :)

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2018-07-18 22:02:07

"Gift" is German for "poison," so be careful during the holidays.

…Huh. There's a GBC game called "Gift" that also has a German release called "Gifty" (with English text, so how about that). I guess that'd be why. Can't have a game called "Poison", that's a swear word.

For those wondering it's like Zelda but not quite as good.

…Apparently it was also a different big 3D game on PC/PS2 as well? So I guess this isn't just some obscure GBC game, it's the obligatory "hey let's make a handheld version of this except not change the title because that would make sense" game.

Date: 2018-07-19 03:39:50

Can't have a game called "Poison", that's a swear word.

…What?

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2018-07-19 04:46:15

Can't have a game called "Poison", that's a swear word.

…What?

[img]https://ih0.redbubble.net/image.238596281.0179/mp,550x550,matte,ffffff,t.3u1.jpg[/img]