Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

The Member's Guide to Topiclessness - Page 258

Re: The Glitchy Thread of Topiclessness (#3)

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-02-12 20:05:00

My financial aid got cut off, nobody in my circle has the credit & will to cosign a student loan, and nobody in my circle can afford to pay my tuition out of pocket. Help.
i've got an eighth of one of those MASSIVE pickle jars filled with change and 30 cents on my debit card.

you can have it all but getting it to you would cost more than the money gained.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-02-14 11:05:38
Complete coincidence that I found this thread today, but apparently it was around this day of the year I found my first shiny (before anyone knew about RNG).

https://forums.glitchcity.info/index.php?topic=6123.msg182230#msg182230

EDIT: I remember eating candy that I was hiding in my room during it, which must have been from a Valentine's thing at school, so it was very likely around then. February 14, 2005 was a Monday, but it seems like the kind of thing a teacher would have said "let's just get this over with at the end of a Friday" about, so I can't be exactly sure.

Posted by: Raven Freak
Date: 2019-02-14 15:30:00
I was never lucky enough to encounter a shiny (of course besides Gyarados in Gen 2) in any of the games until Omega Ruby, where I caught a shiny Reshiram, without needing to reset at all! I wasn't necessarily looking for one, I just went to the worm hole, and there it was! I caught it with my master ball, took a picture of it, and posted it on Facebook. xD I lost the game afterwards, but found it again about a year later. Thankfully after I did I transferred Reshiram to Sun. I didn't get a legit shiny in any of the older games until GS were released on the Virtual Console, the Pokemon I caught was a shiny Rattata.

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-02-16 09:08:26
Something in case anyone is interested. I acknowledge some people may dislike me for this but I'm adamant about it now. It's something I've thought about lots of times before, but I'm adamant about stopping emulators for good, just because in England it's a crime/at least potentially a crime even if you dump your own ROMs (Nintendo in the past were/are against this since during the NES days). This means I won't be able to make more specific analysis to the ROMs.

At the same time I don't want to take the situation too far and stop/disagree with people who do. I don't want them to get in trouble but I don't want to endorse it either.

I will still be posting glitches on my channel and analysing unused content, but may avoid certain custom programs (i.e. memory editors, fan games) except cheating devices.

Date: 2019-02-16 13:15:03

Something in case anyone is interested. I acknowledge some people may dislike me for this but I'm adamant about it now. It's something I've thought about lots of times before, but I'm adamant about stopping emulators for good, just because in England it's a crime/at least potentially a crime even if you dump your own ROMs (Nintendo in the past were/are against this since during the NES days). This means I won't be able to make more specific analysis to the ROMs.

At the same time I don't want to take the situation too far and stop/disagree with people who do. I don't want them to get in trouble but I don't want to endorse it either.

I will still be posting glitches on my channel and analysing unused content, but may avoid certain custom programs (i.e. memory editors, fan games) except cheating devices.

2019: "Memory editors are now illegal, shoot on sight if using an emulator, a debugger, or, God forbid, Cheat Engine!"

can we just stop
I know no amount of shit-throwing will change that, and certainly not from only me, but it needs to stop.

Date: 2019-02-16 14:37:41
Yes I relate. I feel from one perspective it is a grey area, if you own the game what's wrong with having a copy for research, but also from Nintendo's perspective, unauthorised game copying has always been challenged or unendorced, and  they don't like derivative works (I'm not saying these are definitely illegal, I've heard (from a black and white no feelings perspective) above all terms of use, the jurisdiction body has the power in consideration to what e.g  Nintendo fights for.) On the other hand that's not necessarily correct as it seems a lot more complex than that.

So yeah I don't know if memory editors matter as much, but from Nintendo's employees point of view some of them don't like it. The Game Genie was challenged in court as a derivative work. In the end the developers of Game Genie won (the idea argued that it's more like skipping to the end of a book) yet it's probably not necessarily the case either. What if you used Game Genie to find those artidicial glitch Trainers as you're fighting trainers that likely don't exist outside of arbitrary code execution (I suppose if the game landed in the middle of the battle routine and skipped the -200 from class code, and that  goes into semantics too; is unintended ROM execution arbitrary code execution? It is and isn't it feels.

But also it's complex now ACE in video games is more mainstream, and you can write your own programs like memory editors and even custom sprites. It then becomes a subjective matter of 'what is a derivative work', in one sense you're not editing the physical ROM in another sense you created say a Yoshi which it is possible to keep on the save file until it is destroyed.

So it's like I don't want to have a guilty conscience or just feel that way in a sense that may be impossible unless I was like 'forget about it' which happened to me before.

I relate with how you feel though it's like I've betrayed the community and blindly appealed to the authority who bluntly are not gods, you don't have to obey them but you still might get caught, and for me it has made me feel I've betrayed both my fans and Nintendo and its  hurt my pride as well . I'm not going to be like that though re 'shoot if using emulator', people at the end of the day do what they like. I know it hurts though and I'm sorry for that. I'll still use a GameShark like device (physical cartridge) to analyse the code; reverse engineering for fair use historically has won to the best of my knowledge also I asked Nintendo directly about 3DS capture boards they asserted it's legal just they don't endorse it, that and that import games are fine after I got concerned with Lik-Sang (?) and Japan state being elevated about it.

In a nut shell I respect your opinion but I feel like I have to do this too.

Date: 2019-02-16 15:31:47

Yes I relate. I feel from one perspective it is a grey area, if you own the game what's wrong with having a copy for research, but also from Nintendo's perspective, unauthorised game copying has always been challenged or unendorced, and  they don't like derivative works (I'm not saying these are definitely illegal, I've heard (from a black and white no feelings perspective) above all terms of use, the jurisdiction body has the power in consideration to what e.g  Nintendo fights for.) On the other hand that's not necessarily correct as it seems a lot more complex than that.

So yeah I don't know if memory editors matter as much, but from Nintendo's employees point of view some of them don't like it. The Game Genie was challenged in court as a derivative work. In the end the developers of Game Genie won (the idea argued that it's more like skipping to the end of a book) yet it's probably not necessarily the case either. What if you used Game Genie to find those artidicial glitch Trainers as you're fighting trainers that likely don't exist outside of arbitrary code execution (I suppose if the game landed in the middle of the battle routine and skipped the -200 from class code, and that  goes into semantics too; is unintended ROM execution arbitrary code execution? It is and isn't it feels.

But also it's complex now ACE in video games is more mainstream, and you can write your own programs like memory editors and even custom sprites. It then becomes a subjective matter of 'what is a derivative work', in one sense you're not editing the physical ROM in another sense you created say a Yoshi which it is possible to keep on the save file until it is destroyed.

So it's like I don't want to have a guilty conscience or just feel that way in a sense that may be impossible unless I was like 'forget about it' which happened to me before.

I relate with how you feel though it's like I've betrayed the community and blindly appealed to the authority who bluntly are not gods, you don't have to obey them but you still might get caught, and for me it has made me feel I've betrayed both my fans and Nintendo and its  hurt my pride as well . I'm not going to be like that though re 'shoot if using emulator', people at the end of the day do what they like. I know it hurts though and I'm sorry for that. I'll still use a GameShark like device (physical cartridge) to analyse the code; reverse engineering for fair use historically has won to the best of my knowledge also I asked Nintendo directly about 3DS capture boards they asserted it's legal just they don't endorse it, that and that import games are fine after I got concerned with Lik-Sang (?) and Japan state being elevated about it.

In a nut shell I respect your opinion but I feel like I have to do this too.

that's fair. I just feel like power users of… anything, really, are being caged in and forced to be end-users because some corp wants to keep some shit, inferior code to themselves.

Date: 2019-02-16 15:38:03
Hm. I guess I'll keep it brief and just agree to disagree, as I've never thought about it much myself. At the very worst I feel like it could be a "park anywhere but leave before the tow truck" situation, but what you do is up to you.

Date: 2019-02-16 16:02:58

that's fair. I just feel like power users of… anything, really, are being caged in and forced to be end-users because some corp wants to keep some s**t, inferior code to themselves.

I relate with that. Again without the emotion in this case, it's bits in a computer. As with ownership in general this may be flawed; the idea that corporations can control who has the product (I.e  the end user must pay for it, or a license to one computer only, or they can only use it under certain other conditions) is like expecting just because you have food doesn't sadly mean you may cannot get robbed.) So in that sense ignorance is bliss, often it seems the most down to Earth people are more rational than those in power. Hmm.

Hm. I guess I'll keep it brief and just agree to disagree, as I've never thought about it much myself. At the very worst I feel like it could be a "park anywhere but leave before the tow truck" situation, but what you do is up to you.

That's all right with me!  :)

Posted by: ISSOtm
Date: 2019-02-17 05:33:26
It's something I've thought about lots of times before, but I'm adamant about stopping emulators for good […]

This is complete madness, and here's why: emulators are the only way to preserve history. The hardware decays, software also decays, but emulators keep being maintained, and go together with documentation. You could argue that documentation is enough, but how can you check it's not wrong if you don't put it into practice? Moreover, what good is the documentation if, god forbid, using it is illegal?
Companies make laws such that preservation is impossible so they can sell consoles such as Nintendo's "mini" models, but did you notice how glad they are the homebrew/emulation community did their preservation work in their stead? Nintendo used the iNES format (maybe they downloaded ROMs off of the Internet, maybe they just had the ROMs and used the readily available header format; I don't have proof of neither), Sony used PCSX2 ReARMed, and so on and so forth. They want it to be illegal for the customer to do themselves, just like they want people to have their approval before being able to criticize.
It's batshit insane, and personally I am adamant that emulation SHOULD be legal, as is downloading ROMs off the Internet if there's no way to get them otherwise. Because sure, Super Mario World is properly preserved, being sold in a ton of Virtual Console entries, but what about Ninja Turtles on NES? A lot of people played that game, it's fairly well-known, and yet Nintendo didn't bother re-releasing it.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2019-02-17 09:30:23
..Wha?

Evie, are you talking about making all emulators illegal for _everyone_, or are you just saying you're not going to personally use them?

If it's the former, then no.

Date: 2019-02-17 10:43:48
I'm with ISSOtm on this subject. Nothing lasts forever, and emulators are a great way to preserve old consoles that are obsolete. If you choose not to use emulators that's cool, but I don't think everyone should be banned from using them. Another reason why emulators are great, programmers who don't have the proper tools such as flash carts to test their games or demos out can rely on accurate emulators to test their games out. (Though you'd have to know which ones properly emulate the hardware you're coding on. It's far from the ideal method of testing, but it may be all the programmer has. I've been there before.)

Date: 2019-02-17 11:44:58
Previous few posts won me over. For me personally it's always been a matter of "just go ahead", which will inevitably win out over legality when it's simply how nearly everyone acts (the limits of this are obvious, but casual data sharing is nowhere close), and there's a ton of practical reasoning in defense of it too which the above posters illustrated clearly.

Anyway, @Zow, it's this:

Date: 2019-02-17 12:23:38

..Wha?

Evie, are you talking about making all emulators illegal for _everyone_, or are you just saying you're not going to personally use them?

If it's the former, then no.

The latter yes (I'm just personally not going to use them but don't want to make others stop).

Date: 2019-02-17 18:04:02
Oh yeah I forgot to mention this here, I got a new job and it starts tomorrow! I'm excited and nervous. :V I previously worked in retail, but now I'll be working in a warehouse doing a production job, working on building food prep tables, building coolers, etc. I'll be getting Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays off which is going to be nice! My girlfriend also got a new job, but we're not sure when her first day is. She's going to be working at our local license office, right now the HR manager is waiting for her background check to come back.