Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

The Member's Guide to Topiclessness - Page 271

Re: The Glitchy Thread of Topiclessness (#3)

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-08-31 04:58:43

…Yeah nah like hang on mate. I think I'm gonna need the steps of how to break the game explained here. I have a moral obligation to break the game. Well, if you could call it a game.

So you can find it in the NI set I know you totally don't have, the ROM's MD5 is 51091A6D773823B8731240676D9D25CF.
Step 1: Enter literally anything into all text fields you're presented with on startup (so much personal info for a fucking PDA cart on a GBx…)
Step 2: Eventually you get a really sparse desktop thing, mash B till you get to a wheel-style menu.
Step 3: Select "Friends" > "About Me"
Step 4: Edit "First Name" to be max length (it literally doesn't matter what you enter as long as you fill the character slots, we're just pushing a later field further up a buffer)
Step 4: Scroll down to bottom info page
Step 5: Either the "Favorite TV Show" or "School" fields will do, pick one. (TODO: see if this matters.)
Step 6: Fill the character slots, then backspace 2. Add any character, the character changes what you get. Several land in RAM, but a lowercase A (mind the auto-capitalization) gives a good graphical payload. (Please note: field won't be editable after you hit Enter on the OSK due to being saved to SRAM, save a state!)
Step 7: Hit the OSK's Enter key.
Step 8: Wait a second or 3.
Step 9: grats

EDIT: we're steamrolling C7C1 specifically as that's the one that makes it shit the bed.

Date: 2019-08-31 05:23:18
The reason this works (using the School field atl) is due to the game putting the bottom-of-the-screen ticker into the buffer, "<FIRST_NAME> goes to…" then forgetting to clear it before appending the School field's value when loading it. Usually, thia wouldn't be an issue, but when the max characters you can input is, like, 23… suddenly we're 8 or 9 bytes outside it, calling a predefined function and doing god-knows-what from there.

Curiously, the game uses valid ASCII for text. I'd figure it'd use something custom, but no.

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-08-31 10:30:49
Seems like I still can't help compulsively check in here when in that in-between point of being overwhelmed and having some space available. Actually wrapping my head around things here (like that other game's ACE entrypoint you just found) is another matter…

Date: 2019-08-31 11:52:23

Seems like I still can't help compulsively check in here when in that in-between point of being overwhelmed and having some space available. Actually wrapping my head around things here (like that other game's ACE entrypoint you just found) is another matter…
yeah, i'm always hoping someone will actually post something…

Posted by: Bert
Date: 2019-08-31 17:19:42
Here's a post:

I like tiddies.

Date: 2019-09-01 06:48:53
I'm generally okay with them if they're well-covered.

Date: 2019-09-04 19:26:04
Generated and published a PGP key for myself.

However:

GPG's bad at it…?

I set it to expire in a year, and it wasn't detected as such on any keyserver, some keyservers didn't see an email address embedded in it, and it ended up being 3Kbit and not 4Kbit like I asked it to generate.

Date: 2019-09-04 21:37:38
did they really just

release Team Rocket fighter skins

then IMMEDIATELY fucking steamroll it with FUCKING [size=18pt]SANS[/size]

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-09-05 08:13:21
Also Pokémon Curry Version announced. Does this mean, Telefang characters confirmed!? :)

[img]https://www.vizzed.com/vizzedboard/retro/user_screenshots/saves27/272772/GBA--Pokemon%20Diamond_Sep30%205_11_21.png[/img]
[img]https://cdn3.dualshockers.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Pokemon-Sword-ds1-1340x1340.jpg[/img]

Date: 2019-09-05 23:00:36

did they really just

release Team Rocket fighter skins

then IMMEDIATELY fucking steamroll it with FUCKING [size=18pt]SANS[/size]
I had to see this to believe it. I thought I didn't care about Smash, but…wow. Just wow.

Also, while I haven't been keeping up with Sword and Shield news, I very much respect that reference. For the bright future! :)

Date: 2019-09-06 21:21:08
Not only was there the Sans reveal yesterday, but it was also revealed that one of the new composers hired by Game Freak to work on Town…is Toby Fox. He even mentioned that some of his tracks were arranged by Hitomi "the good one" Sato! :D

My favorite musical philosophy will meet some of my favorite musical content. I might even try the game itself at this rate!

Posted by: bwill11
Date: 2019-09-07 14:20:47
You have to feel bad for Banjo and Terry for getting overshadowed by a Mii costume. Though honestly Sans doesn't feel like a Mii costume, he radiates a completely different energy than any other costume. What's really funny is that they day before the direct, I told one of my friends that I was 95 percent sure Sans would be a playable character, and I guess I was partially right.

Honestly the direct was pretty meh for me, but I guess that means my wallet can rest easy for now. But nothing even remotely surprised or excited me other than Banjo releasing and SNES online (which excited me but was still pretty much inevitable), and I pretty much held a straight face for the entire direct. Nothing really was bad about it, it just contained nothing all that interesting.

Also, who else is hype for Untitled Goose Game? (if you never heard of it before now: https://goose.game)

Date: 2019-09-10 09:54:39
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vny05XYFpT0

Re: The Member's Guide to Topiclessness

Posted by: GARYM9
Date: 2019-09-12 03:10:15
Merged the original topiclessness threads into one whole single thread for preservation.

Re: The Member's Guide to Topiclessness

Date: 2019-09-12 05:48:42

Merged the original topiclessness threads into one whole single thread for preservation.

Thanks! :)

This is the story of (TRAINER), a wondrous Pokémon Trainer from Kanto. At the age of 10, they defied all expectations; starting with a relatively weak Level 5 Pokémon, quickly accumulating all Badges. Their speed was generally outmatched; the only trainer faster (my grandson whose name I forget) would break the laws of the universe to progress on his quest to catch them all and become league champion no matter what. He was quite the rival to (TRAINER). I do not know how he did it, but felt uncomfy with his approach at the realisation of his dream.

And in no time at all (TRAINER) did become the Hall of Fame champion. This event shortly succeeded my grandson's achievement though he would forget to take proper care of his Pokémon/his approach was a little rough. Both (TRAINER) and my grandson ventured into learning about and collecting Pokémon from other regions (at the time, only 386 were known). There was something curious about TRAINER however. They would never eat/drink/sleep, I worried for him though his mother was surprisingly cool. TRAINER always had this energy. And sometimes they would acquire Pokémon from those regions in mysterious ways. They were also extremely lucky. They would catch hard-to-catch Pokémon with ease, like the three Kanto legendary birds, as if they had a time machine to go back in time if they failed.

Now… one day (TRAINER) did complete the Pokédex based on the number of Pokémon known at the time (386), including Pokémon of legend and mythical Pokémon (Mew, Celebi, Jirachi, Deoxys) only a few chosen people had met. Again, goodness knows how they managed this. On a couple of occasions, tickets to obscure islands would seemingly manifest out of thin air, or Jirachi would mysteriously appear in the party. These Pokémon however, did look like they had traveled a lot; maybe from faraway regions. Realistically, there must have been a rational explanation how they appeared?

Understandably, (TRAINER) had an impressive number of stored Pokémon and some very strong Pokémon. Every time they came to me to reveal they had completed my dream, the Pokédex, I'd savour on all the Pokémon in their party and PC they had acquired. It was magical.

But suddenly.. one day something strange happened. All of (TRAINER)'s Pokémon had disappeared, except for one Level 10 Sentret. And the Pokémon Center nurse has told me (with me questioning it because I was concerned) there were no signs of trading with other players, at least using the Cable Club/Union Room. There was no evidence they had been stolen, but no real evidence they were donated either.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/V75s6J9.jpg[/img]

However, I do in my heart of hearts hope that if they weren't stolen, they were donated.

Later in the future, I would learn about time travel technology and the Pal Park. My grandson has also matured, he is learning from his mistakes and is running the gym at Viridian City.

Finally, I have been waiting for this answer! :) They were donated! What a nice Trainer (TRAINER) is.

However, there was a sense of sadness in (PLAYER's) face. Of course, if they were going to continue to raise Pokémon they would have to solely rely on an unskilled Pokémon they had not bonded with. (PLAYER) then stepped down as a Pokémon Trainer. This still fills me with an unsettling strange feeling to this day. In a sense I am happy.This was their choice and their story is a beautiful one. In another sense I feel confusion, sad that their journey was abandoned, and even a little resentment. :( "They did what?!!" "WHY??!!"  >:( These questions plague my mind.

I suppose this is how all things go. We can only go so far. However one thing has never died. I keep in contact with other Pokémon professors to this day, and learn about various amazing trainers who have continued to set new records just like (TRAINER). And sometimes we occasionally see completed Pokédexes just like that day (TRAINER) revealed theirs to me.

- Testimony of Professor Oak