Glitch City Laboratories Archives

Glitch City Laboratories closed on 1 September 2020 (announcement). This is an archived copy of a thread from Glitch City Laboratories Forums.

You can join Glitch City Research Institute to ask questions or discuss current developments.

You may also download the archive of this forum in .tar.gz, .sql.gz, or .sqlite.gz formats.

General Discussion

The Member's Guide to Topiclessness - Page 270

Re: The Glitchy Thread of Topiclessness (#3)

Posted by: Torchickens
Date: 2019-08-14 07:49:13
Wonderful glitch files seemingly caused by interrupting copying to a memory stick.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/m69ZYbF.png[/img]

Posted by: Parzival
Date: 2019-08-16 14:05:45
Finally got the WTW hack working, but on Blue (since on Yellow i'm super strapped for space and trying to slot code in between RST vectors is a huge pain in the ass) so patches for Red and Blue will be coming soon. Current bugs:
- Pressing SELECT at just the right time when jumping off a ledge pops the Start Menu, corrupts the player shadow (with text, probably due to the Start Menu) and softlocks as controls are disabled. This isn't a bug in my code, as it does literally nothing different in this situation, so I guess i've somehow exposed a bug in the game itself…
- Usual WTW issues (nothing I can do about them)
Modified code and its effects on what we do here:
- VBlank is hijacked via putting a pointer to my code before the usual VBlank handler's pointer.
- Some unused space at the end of Bank 0 is changed (as it now holds my code, kind of a given)
I don't think anything really draws from the unused area in Bank 0, nor the area holding the VBlank pointer, so it shouldn't affect much. The VBlank code running after might change something due to timing, which is something I can't actually help without just… *not* doing a hack…

Wonderful glitch files seemingly caused by interrupting copying to a memory stick.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/m69ZYbF.png[/img]
yeah, MFT/FAT got corrupted. Your data should still be there, though, so copy your stuff off and reformat.

Date: 2019-08-16 14:56:14

Finally got the WTW hack working, but on Blue (since on Yellow i'm super strapped for space and trying to slot code in between RST vectors is a huge pain in the ass) so patches for Red and Blue will be coming soon. Current bugs:
- Pressing SELECT at just the right time when jumping off a ledge pops the Start Menu, corrupts the player shadow (with text, probably due to the Start Menu) and softlocks as controls are disabled. This isn't a bug in my code, as it does literally nothing different in this situation, so I guess i've somehow exposed a bug in the game itself…
- Usual WTW issues (nothing I can do about them)
Modified code and its effects on what we do here:
- VBlank is hijacked via putting a pointer to my code before the usual VBlank handler's pointer.
- Some unused space at the end of Bank 0 is changed (as it now holds my code, kind of a given)
I don't think anything really draws from the unused area in Bank 0, nor the area holding the VBlank pointer, so it shouldn't affect much. The VBlank code running after might change something due to timing, which is something I can't actually help without just… *not* doing a hack…

Congratulations! :)

yeah, MFT/FAT got corrupted. Your data should still be there, though, so copy your stuff off and reformat.

Thanks for the advice. Yes, going to try that when I can.

Date: 2019-08-16 15:08:23

Might try TestDisk if you're missing data or can't copy some off, etc. before reformatting.

Date: 2019-08-16 15:43:33

Might try TestDisk if you're missing data or can't copy some off, etc. before reformatting.

Great. Thanks! I tried shredding with AVG last time but with no success there. I feel because it seems to be a filesystem format error (MFT/FAT) like you said that could be why. Will try out the linked TestDisk.

Date: 2019-08-19 03:30:28
This is in heart with my closest friends. Maybe a lot of us here like nature with the variation in the Pokémon species.

Basically,

Read in NewScientist about Puerto Rico honeybees (article by Ben Turner) which "evolved from being highly aggressive killers to gentle foragers in just a decade"; it is humbling and illustrates - never judge an animal with negativity, even things like parasites and flies. It says: "This rate of change seems extraordinary, even given the recent realisation that evolution can happen surprisingly quickly", talks about why in evolution rapid reproduction isn't always beneficial; "In part, it is the fact that when bees produce eggs and sperm, their genes are more thoroughly shuffled than in other species and the mutation rate is very high. This creates lots of different genetic combinations, increasing the potential to produce highly variable offspring able to survive in a wide variety of environments." - although it also talks about how it could be to the detriment of the species; as helpful genes could be lost - although bees' haplodiploid reproductive system (so unfertilised male drone eggs have one chromosome pair, but the female worker bees are from fertilised eggs; two chromosomes; diploid can circumvent that helpful gene loss dilemma (Seems quite different to humans! Males XY, females XX and how our eggs must be fertilised to become regardless male/female).

I didn't know that bees (much like the Eeveelutions which I adore) could be so sensitive to evolution Game Freak please make a complex bee evolution line like Eevee! based on the Puerto Rico honeybees (evolution is not just genetic but also social). I have grown on bees. Spiritually I have animal totems - all you have to do is see what you have in common and think of them (I don't know why chickens were my love from the beginning (and the colour yellow!); it's one of those mysteries of birth); but chickens are symbolism of birth, rebirth, development, passive strength, more covertly divining (wondering if there is a higher cause and happy to do soul work) (like the song Ai no Uta; they live, multiply and get eaten but believe in love anyway and aren't afraid of scary stuff - they do get angry if hurt, but tend to let go) which I realised later.

For what I see in bees; they are loyal (to the queen), maybe to be a bee is very strong anima (you just do what your heart wants, not your mind, not your doubts, but your instincts even if it is like that article). I wanna learn more.

Also these are some of my other spirit animals:

Rabbits - Operates on love not war (Venus). I feel a rabbit-human wants to be cute, hence would want to attract cute things and dialect stereotypically cutesy (quite Capricorn, I'm Aquarius based on astrology but the idea is the spiritual (not material) sun signs are different and allow you to change when you grow older; I think I relate more with Pisces the deepest now but it's weird - Capricorn might be shaping me) In a negative sense rabbits can be cunning in a manipulative sense and there was a fairy tale I read about a rabbit who found a way to kill a predator because of a promise with their friend. I love them anyway because that's what unconditional love is about.

Doves - My romantic love interest (who is a secret), she is this animal. Doves are just so pure, but they can come across docile and naive to some. This is wrong! Spiritually because they have such good intentions, they can become good diplomats; they often don't have agendas (keeping their intuitions pure for humanistic instinct) they just want to enjoy life and live and let live, which makes them social.

Owls - I can't stress how much owls have shaped me (who my love also loves). Owls of course are associated with the night. When I went to school, because of routine I operated more in the day. But countless times I'm now nocturnal (feel most active during the night). Wisdom: Owls need wisdom for hunting

Wolfs/foxes - It seems out of place considering the top three (chickens, rabbits, doves) but these are important to me too.  Like owls wolfs/foxes hunt. It's the "cruel", "manipulative" stereotypes that put me off then a long time ago, but they are also clever and reliable if your friend (like Tails from Sonic the Hedgehog who is an inventor). So they are cute. As for wolfs, the 'Athena' fight like a dog through the dark and shadow is wolf-like. I've been working on this skill.

Snakes - This took a long time but I like them and realized they're not too spiritually different to dinosaurs actually. Snakes and dinosaurs are associated with fertillity in my heart (in Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru - which I love because it's about transformation of personality the prince can become a snake with an egg item), they are naturally (seemingly otherworldly wise) - they are negatively stereotyped however as manipulators, the deceiver of Eve, etc. That doesn't mean they aren't compatible ;- because I see God as humble too (an imperfect God and reflection of someone else's (not everyone combined which may be impossible) consciousness).

Dinosaurs - Like chickens I don't know why I liked them so early. It's interesting lots of other people on autistic spectrum like me love dinosaurs. But they are enigmatic; like snakes that links in with the 'otherworldly knowledge' thing and I love obscure things. Thinking about it, I just love knowledge. Some dinosaurs were also, like snakes, I perceive highly fertile.

Cats - My friend loves cats too! Lots of people love cats, they are loyal, want things classy (I collect too many games), I like fashion too, and Hello Kitty who is a good negotiator.

Dogs - Unconditional love. Not much more other to add other than it's like the ancestor wolf totem re: walking through the shadow.

Starfish - Starfish also while not a real-world creature, it's similar to the Mermaid symbolism - they shape reality through the work of their hands. (I like to think a mermaid does it with intuition I love mermaids, an octopus does it with logic (not exactly sure why I made these distinctions). I've been trying to work on this when analysing so even though I'm a bad programmer can still try to discover new things. A family member of mine also likes seahorses; so kind of like starfish but 'although slow great stamina'.

Butterflies - Adore butterflies. Gentle, sensitive, dedicated to letting metamorphosis take its place/rebirth.

Other worthy mentions: Fish (flow symbolism), Sloth (part-time when relaxing), Crocodiles (cool and strategic), Ants (this one is still in proto-stage but they are admirable), Horse/Dragon (stamina; I interpret this as an important theme in Majora's Mask, Link is incredibly persistent, and in the manga there is a backstory to a dragon)

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-08-19 05:49:14
I've always liked snakes and gophers from a symbolism standpoint, as slithering or tunneling from point A to B tends to be a lot more effective and fulfilling than the well-used paths. Turtles too, for the idea of "home" being part of one's own self, which ties in a bit with gopher tunnels. I haven't found myself thinking about it much, but those three tend to come to mind when I do.

Date: 2019-08-19 06:01:23

I've always liked snakes and gophers from a symbolism standpoint, as slithering or tunneling from point A to B tends to be a lot more effective and fulfilling than the well-used paths. Turtles too, for the idea of "home" being part of one's own self, which ties in a bit with gopher tunnels. I haven't found myself thinking about it much, but those three tend to come to mind when I do.

True ^^ yes, you cover more on your path that way; sometimes it's good to slow down and appreciate small things like that (e.g. mindful walking for humans). Very great point; you can explore all you like but if you aren't at home (or your soul isn't at home), then you gain nothing. Spiritually I guess it's the one thing that never changes. What if life itself happens to be our home? Beautifully imperfect.

Date: 2019-08-24 02:51:24
For fun and out of boredom, I calculated out how many (whole) 0x4000-byte ROM banks some common storage sizes would hold (all unformatted, as I'm too lazy or unable to find the formatted capacity myself):
Diskette 1 floppy: 14
360KB floppy: 21 (a few bytes shy of 22)
400KB floppy: 24
720KB floppy: 45
800KB floppy: 48
1.2MB floppy: 73
1.68MB floppy: 102
1.44MB floppy: 90
2.88MB floppy: 175
650MB CD: 39,673
700MB CD: 42,908
1GB storage medium (take your pick): 61,035
4.7GB DVD: 287,000
8.5GB DVD: 519,000
9.4GB DVD: 574,000
10GB storage medium: 610,352
17.08GB DVD: 1,042,500
25GB Blu-Ray: 1,525,878
50GB Blu-Ray: 3,051,757
100GB storage medium: 6,103,515
128GB BDXL: 7,813,000
200GB BDXL: 12,207,031
300GB BDXL (yes, really): 18,310,546
1TB storage medium: 61,035,156

that was fun

(note: BDXL sizes over 128GB are currently theoretical but will probably happen.)

Date: 2019-08-25 18:43:40
wonder if anyone's been able to replace the GBx Boot ROM on an actual console… if so, can they do the same with a modded bootrom? I'd love to have my Gameboy blindly continue regardless of Nintendo logo validity! (No, seriously…)

Posted by: Sherkel
Date: 2019-08-27 11:16:55
Kind of on hiatus for the next few weeks at least, but I always come back and in the meantime would like to encourage discussion on how the site is organized so as to let visitors find the most useful info (whatever that may be) in a clean and efficient fashion.

Date: 2019-08-28 13:03:46
lol i got buffer overflow ACE in a PRNG-picked ROM from my No-Intro set. No debugger needed. (I was just fucking around with it…)

EDIT: IT'S SAVED TO SRAM LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOOO

EDIT 2: it's jumping to C446 (one byte off of a pointer to DD50 at the time of jump) via stack smash and the RET in the function at 0028. However, the function itself doesn't break it, so I think SP was broken beforehand. (Normally, SP is always odd, but it ends up being D9FD, which is even, so SP has been incremented somewhere. I can't exactly break on jump to 0028 as it's run every frame, so i can't exactly hit the one input I need to and then start debugging and watch for the SP fuckup.)

EDIT 3: I've managed to find ANOTHER vector that jumps to FFF8. Why.

For details on what i'm doing to trigger it, in two specific text input fields, put in max length of dashes or question marks (or anything else), then find a way to move the cursor over it while it's displayed. The game, however, is so kind as to provide an edit menu for your personal details, so this is easy to trigger.

EDIT 4: turns out the character you use is directly tied to where you end up and whether or not the stack is fucked. Neat.

EDIT 5, the last one (maybe): Here's an example of what it looks like to perform this.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2019-08-31 03:59:46
…Wait, what?

The game's exploited just like that? Just by entering text? Surely I'm missing something here

Edit: Decided to try whatever this nonsense is.

Well, it lets me enter my most favourite thing to do as homosexuality and my least favourite thing to do as capitalism, so there's that. However, I have no idea where or how those two fields are actually used at all other than just for the novelty of entering them into an organizer. Like, I can't even see it displayed anywhere, so even if I hit my head and got amnesia and I was like "oh no I forgot what my favourite thing is" I couldn't boot up the ET Digital Companion to find out.

Not entirely sure of the benefits over Mary-Kate and Ashley: Pocket Planner.

Date: 2019-08-31 04:08:21

…Wait, what?

The game's exploited just like that? Just by entering text? Surely I'm missing something here

A little, but yes, it literally steamrolls a predef function byte (when non-00, do thing on VBlank and set to 00) because the buffer's smaller than the max text limit. Second-to-last char overwrites it, so you don't even have to bump the char limit.

It's also a PDA ripoff Digital Companion so this is literally doable in a way that you could absolutely write lots of code to SRAM and just… hover over the right box to run it.

Posted by: Zowayix
Date: 2019-08-31 04:32:09
…Yeah nah like hang on mate. I think I'm gonna need the steps of how to break the game explained here. I have a moral obligation to break the game. Well, if you could call it a game.